The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 temp help needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kopite_di Posted - 01/05/2011 : 21:44:33
hi after the struggles I had yesterday with my new corn Cilla i got the new faun and digi thermometer today, warmed it up and put her in, after an hour I fed her, I thought she would be off her food with all the struggles but no straight in, guess she was hungry :)... my problem now is the temps keep fluctuating between 29 and 32 :/ and she is sleeping in her hide at the cool end, surely her food wont digest like this, should i move her and turn the thermo down again ( up and down like a yo-yo ) any help will be gratfully received
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kopite_di Posted - 04/05/2011 : 06:55:38
Yes settled at 28/29 , happy, not going to mess too much, she is moving about which is main thing and eats like a pig :)
Rake Posted - 03/05/2011 : 23:10:55
it seems that way gonna keep a close eye on him though just to make sure, how is yours doing good i hope
kopite_di Posted - 03/05/2011 : 21:14:11
Oh right ok, judging by your own post things are settling down now which is good news :)
Rake Posted - 03/05/2011 : 19:55:24
oh ye forgot mine only has a red light no other ones
Rake Posted - 03/05/2011 : 19:54:33
am using a micro climate ministat 300, fed ok this morning gulped it down has been in its hide on warm side ever since hasnt moved out as far as i know, checked temp its showing at 25c now think thats because i placed a towel underneath the mat to stop heat loss, checked on him earlier and felt warm to the touch
kopite_di Posted - 03/05/2011 : 19:43:24
the red light wont go out it's the indicator that its working, only light you need to worry about is the green 1, how big is your housing?? and which make of stat do you have? mine is habitat mat stat ... is your snake moving about from cool to warm end etc ?? feeding well ??
Rake Posted - 03/05/2011 : 13:28:47
have turned stat up only changed by a degree, will try that with my stat probe, the red light on the stat never seems to go out either i have even resorted to sitting and watching it so its almost like mat isnt warming up
kopite_di Posted - 03/05/2011 : 13:21:06
Hi not sure if I got this right but was told to turn stat up to 29 also told to try different ways with stat probe to find best place mine is tied with thermometer probe and laid on floor inside faun my temps are still varying between just under 28 to just over 29 so I'm leaving it she is happy and wondering around :)
Rake Posted - 03/05/2011 : 10:32:16
i cam using a ministat to monitor temp and cant seem to get it above 22c, i have inserted the thermometer probe underneath a small amount of substrate, not sure if its the stat or heatmat but temp doesnt seem to go up, im really new aswell so any help would be great, fed ok this morning gulped it down so that went well atleast
kopite_di Posted - 02/05/2011 : 23:29:03
And how do you get him out of faun, should I take lid off or just put my hand through the openings, will she lunge for me or just be inquisitive ? After the seller told me they can strike if startled I'm a bit wary lol x x
lotabob Posted - 02/05/2011 : 23:14:59
leave 48 hours after a feed at least but depends really, i usually wait until after my corn poops (2-3 days) to avoid any mucky hand situations.
kopite_di Posted - 02/05/2011 : 22:44:31
Sorry should of said fed not yes, doh
kopite_di Posted - 02/05/2011 : 22:43:27
Thank you, it is now at a steady 28.9 to 29.4 so I'm leaving it lol. She is moving around a little from warm to cool, if she was yes yesterday When would it be safe to start handling her, and sorry If this is daft question but how do I get her out of the faun ? X
lotabob Posted - 01/05/2011 : 23:45:02
The fauns are not 100% escape proof but its unlikely that a tiny hatchling will figure out the way out. She will probably be inactive for the next 48 hours while digesting and don't worry corn snakes are bullet proof it takes a lot to throw them off their game. Turning the mat down for now so it doesn't go over 30oC is the only essential action to take, it does take a little bit of time to tweek the setting on the stat until your happy with it.
kopite_di Posted - 01/05/2011 : 23:40:28
thanks so frustrating, i just hope she dont come to any harm with all the messing about, she ate her food with no problems so guessing she is ok, she's just very quiet now and sleeping under hide at cool end, I will do what you say Lotabob and have a fiddle around tomorrow hopfully she will be ok tonight, other thing, are these fauns safe? I mean i have put lids down secure but can she get out and should i put something heavy on top dont want to wake up and find her gone xx
lotabob Posted - 01/05/2011 : 23:30:59
There are a few variations of pretty much the same setup, I tried a few of them over a month and found the way I have illustrated in my diagram to be the most accurate with the smallest fluctuations.
Invalid User Posted - 01/05/2011 : 23:28:14
quote:
Originally posted by kopite_di

yes it is inside on faun floor should i move it to outside then? your picture is not the same as the 1 little mike showed, his shows the probe and thermo probe tied together inside the faun on floor, here is the link, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Thats how I set mine up when I had a faunarium.

Just do as GP suggested and turn your stat down a couple of degrees. I found it took me a few hours of stat tweaking before I got the right temps
kopite_di Posted - 01/05/2011 : 22:51:28
yes it is inside on faun floor should i move it to outside then? your picture is not the same as the 1 little mike showed, his shows the probe and thermo probe tied together inside the faun on floor, here is the link, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878
lotabob Posted - 01/05/2011 : 22:33:02
This is the way I've found best for temperature regulation, (I tried a few different ways, this one worked best/stays most accurate)
lotabob Posted - 01/05/2011 : 22:26:38
Is your heat mat inside the faun too?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000