The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:47:22
Can't decide what to use when Dakota needs her first clean out - layers of kitchen roll with some ripped up bits in hides so she can get all comfy or aspen/shredded newspaper so she can burrow and make wee tunnels etc. What do you guys think?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 28/04/2011 : 15:27:00
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Hye Sta~ple, where do you get your bags of Apsen from? Mine are £4 for 6ltrs, and I dont think thats much weightwise!

Pet's corner, aubiose any that sell horse stuff should have it in but I'm sure if you had a word any could get it in for you if theres one near you. Megazorb is also great but it made my oap snake sneeze, shame as it was the greatsest thing to suck up poops!

I buy big bags of megazorb for the mice. I have yet to try the snakes on it because I was worried about the dust. May try a few of them though, see how they get on. It really works great for the mice

It is great for snakes! Just had one corn that would dunk his head in the water, burrow and then dig again and with all the dust sticking to his face just made him sneeze lol. I also found odd things like wooden rulers and set squares in my bag o.o;

Oooh, free prizes!

I only get leaves and bits of wood in mine
Sta~ple Posted - 28/04/2011 : 14:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

quote:

Hye Sta~ple, where do you get your bags of Apsen from? Mine are £4 for 6ltrs, and I dont think thats much weightwise!

Pet's corner, aubiose any that sell horse stuff should have it in but I'm sure if you had a word any could get it in for you if theres one near you. Megazorb is also great but it made my oap snake sneeze, shame as it was the greatsest thing to suck up poops!

I buy big bags of megazorb for the mice. I have yet to try the snakes on it because I was worried about the dust. May try a few of them though, see how they get on. It really works great for the mice

It is great for snakes! Just had one corn that would dunk his head in the water, burrow and then dig again and with all the dust sticking to his face just made him sneeze lol. I also found odd things like wooden rulers and set squares in my bag o.o;
Invalid User Posted - 27/04/2011 : 19:15:12
quote:

quote:

Sta~ple Posted - 27/04/2011 : 18:23:13
quote:

gingerpony Posted - 27/04/2011 : 18:04:38
for megazorb, aubiose, aspen etc in bulk go to your local feed merchant that does horse feed and bedding
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/04/2011 : 16:15:50
I use Megazorb, the horse bedding, super cheap and works great. Absorbs liquid and poo smells, and is good for burrowing and hiding too.
a33272 Posted - 27/04/2011 : 16:11:49
corn on aspen for 2 reasons one she likes burrowing an 2 its absorbant so can just be spot cleaned with ease. JCP on orcid (sp) bark due to need for humidity
Spreebok Posted - 27/04/2011 : 14:08:16
Sta~ple Posted - 27/04/2011 : 13:26:18
Shredded kitchen roll and long paper is a nightmare lol, probably works very fine but it's a lot of faffing.

I use aspen as I hate having to get everything out to get the kitchen roll out. Plus mine all ended up going under the kitchen roll and pooping on the plastic! And £9 for 20kg of it. Plus most of my guys love to burrow.
gingerpony Posted - 27/04/2011 : 12:27:07
anything tiddley we keep on kitchen roll, any corns in 9L RUBs or bigger are on aspen
i've previously kept them on newspaper (and still do for the boas) but my OH prefers aspen so we got a bale in to try......and i'm converted
Invalid User Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:53:54
I just use kitchen roll. I don't even layer it or shred it!

They get 1 layer and most of them like to hide underneath it as they are completely hidden.

The only one who gets aspen is the hognose so he can burrow.

Mamma Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:53:43
I use aspen too.. but if I was to choose another then out of personal preference I would pick shredded kitchen roll No reason for it. I just think I would prefer to use that xx
Spreebok Posted - 27/04/2011 : 11:49:00
I like to keep them on Aspen personally! Looks nicer in my eyes, and like you said, lets them make little tunnels and such :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000