Substrate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  11:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can't decide what to use when Dakota needs her first clean out - layers of kitchen roll with some ripped up bits in hides so she can get all comfy or aspen/shredded newspaper so she can burrow and make wee tunnels etc. What do you guys think?

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  11:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to keep them on Aspen personally! Looks nicer in my eyes, and like you said, lets them make little tunnels and such :)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  11:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use aspen too.. but if I was to choose another then out of personal preference I would pick shredded kitchen roll No reason for it. I just think I would prefer to use that xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  11:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use kitchen roll. I don't even layer it or shred it!

They get 1 layer and most of them like to hide underneath it as they are completely hidden.

The only one who gets aspen is the hognose so he can burrow.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  12:27:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
anything tiddley we keep on kitchen roll, any corns in 9L RUBs or bigger are on aspen
i've previously kept them on newspaper (and still do for the boas) but my OH prefers aspen so we got a bale in to try......and i'm converted

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 27/04/2011 12:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  13:26:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Shredded kitchen roll and long paper is a nightmare lol, probably works very fine but it's a lot of faffing.

I use aspen as I hate having to get everything out to get the kitchen roll out. Plus mine all ended up going under the kitchen roll and pooping on the plastic! And £9 for 20kg of it. Plus most of my guys love to burrow.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  14:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hye Sta~ple, where do you get your bags of Apsen from? Mine are £4 for 6ltrs, and I dont think thats much weightwise!
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
corn on aspen for 2 reasons one she likes burrowing an 2 its absorbant so can just be spot cleaned with ease. JCP on orcid (sp) bark due to need for humidity

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  16:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Megazorb, the horse bedding, super cheap and works great. Absorbs liquid and poo smells, and is good for burrowing and hiding too.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  18:04:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for megazorb, aubiose, aspen etc in bulk go to your local feed merchant that does horse feed and bedding

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  18:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Hye Sta~ple, where do you get your bags of Apsen from? Mine are £4 for 6ltrs, and I dont think thats much weightwise!

Pet's corner, aubiose any that sell horse stuff should have it in but I'm sure if you had a word any could get it in for you if theres one near you. Megazorb is also great but it made my oap snake sneeze, shame as it was the greatsest thing to suck up poops!

Edited by - Sta~ple on 27/04/2011 18:24:58
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  19:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:

Pet's corner, aubiose any that sell horse stuff should have it in but I'm sure if you had a word any could get it in for you if theres one near you. Megazorb is also great but it made my oap snake sneeze, shame as it was the greatsest thing to suck up poops!

I buy big bags of megazorb for the mice. I have yet to try the snakes on it because I was worried about the dust. May try a few of them though, see how they get on. It really works great for the mice
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

quote:

I buy big bags of megazorb for the mice. I have yet to try the snakes on it because I was worried about the dust. May try a few of them though, see how they get on. It really works great for the mice

It is great for snakes! Just had one corn that would dunk his head in the water, burrow and then dig again and with all the dust sticking to his face just made him sneeze lol. I also found odd things like wooden rulers and set squares in my bag o.o;

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  15:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

quote:

It is great for snakes! Just had one corn that would dunk his head in the water, burrow and then dig again and with all the dust sticking to his face just made him sneeze lol. I also found odd things like wooden rulers and set squares in my bag o.o;

Oooh, free prizes!

I only get leaves and bits of wood in mine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000