The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 whats your opinions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:02:08
if you have a back garden, would u build a play pen for your snakes to roam in them while your in the garden, the pen would obviously be built with walls and a concrete floor.

so would u let your snakes roam in your garden if you had somewhere to put them while you were out in the garden in the summer
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 08/03/2011 : 18:41:51
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

I'd be too on edge to put mine in any type of enclosure outdoors.
I'd be worrying about escapes and bugs/parasites.
Can't wait to get some decent weather though and get some photos of them in natural sunlight,while thy are being held that is.

I can't either they look so lovely in the sun!

It wouldn't keep a cat out though or a dog... well it might keep them out but because of how they are made, the snake could still be killed by them :/ the only secure thing I can think of is a rub but that would beg the question of why does the snake need to go outside anyway.
tehbunneh Posted - 08/03/2011 : 18:27:19
They are highly recommended for Chameleons, so I'd assume pretty secure?
eeji Posted - 08/03/2011 : 18:08:07
how secure are flexariums?
MacSpud Posted - 08/03/2011 : 13:02:21
You could make or buy something like this?
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/explorarium.php
Mort13 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 09:40:55
I'd be too on edge to put mine in any type of enclosure outdoors.
I'd be worrying about escapes and bugs/parasites.
Can't wait to get some decent weather though and get some photos of them in natural sunlight,while thy are being held that is.
lotabob Posted - 08/03/2011 : 00:02:40
You may not suffer from Herons where you live but they are a formidable beast. A meter tall with a massive beak. I've heard of them destroying pond netting before helping themself to the whole ponds worth of fish. Not sure if they'd take a snake but I don't see why they wouldn't. There are lots of larger birds including gulls, they will take and eat anything given even half a chance. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything short of taking a lidded glass aquarium outside if they were not in my hands, even then with gulls I'd still keep my guard up.

But i cant wait to sit on the balcony on an evening with a beer and a snake. Bliss.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 23:51:29
thas very true, i was thinking alittle while ago about a childs sand box, the wooden ones, if u can get a wire mesh (like the lamp guards) to put on top of it, it would probably work quite well
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/03/2011 : 23:49:32
The idea is sound in some ways, but will be harder to implement.
You'd need something that would be well ventilated, yet is escape proof.

Very few things are like that.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 23:27:14
im just asking for peoples opinions as im quite curious to what people would do, also the netting is only to stop birds from getting to the snake
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/03/2011 : 23:23:20
Fish pond netting would allow most snakes through.
Any netting with the mesh holes smaller than about 8-10mm will (imo) be just a fun way to escape.
I don't see whats wrong with just bringing them into the garden for 5-10 mins and not letting them get more than a couple inches away.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 20:18:55
its pretty simple eeji, fish pond netting on top to stop airborn predators and build a wall to stop escapes, the concrete floor is just to stop the snakes burrowing
eeji Posted - 07/03/2011 : 19:06:35
yes, I'd consider it. It wouldn't even need a concrete floor. The hard part would be making it escape proof and predator proof.
lrv2307 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:57:13
if thats what you wanna have 'for the summer' get a rabbit instead of a snake
lotabob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:29:10
I live by the river and get heron's and other huge birdy-beasties hanging around. I'd worry about one swooping off with one of mine before you had time to blink. I would consider maybe on a hot afternoon been handled on my balcony but letting go of them is asking for trouble.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:24:00
Lol no. If they escape ion the garden, they are like gone forever.
Invalid User Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:05:40
No, I wouldn't do it.
gmac Posted - 07/03/2011 : 18:04:16
nope, they get all they need in their vivs, also risk of bugs and the likes they dont need the stress added.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000