The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 breeding months

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
slix Posted - 01/03/2011 : 23:34:50
hi all i need to know what times of year corn snakes go in to there mating frenzie lol as i have two corns in a same tank and both un sexed.i know a lot of people frown on keeping to corns or any types of snakes in the same tank but i have never seen them happier they simply love each others company. but any way i need to know as one of the corns is approx 4-5 years old and the other one is 8-9 months old and dont want them breeding.any answers will be greatly appreciated .thank you all for your time and responses
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 02/03/2011 : 15:36:25
quote:
Originally posted by slix

hi all i need to know what times of year corn snakes go in to there mating frenzie lol as i have two corns in a same tank and both un sexed.i know a lot of people frown on keeping to corns or any types of snakes in the same tank but i have never seen them happier they simply love each others company. but any way i need to know as one of the corns is approx 4-5 years old and the other one is 8-9 months old and dont want them breeding.any answers will be greatly appreciated .thank you all for your time and responses

there is 3 things there that are important to take into account, make that 4 infact.
the reason its frowned upon is because its dangerous, especially to the smaller snake, but its also generally stressful, and stress in snakes is tricky so see if you dont know what you are looking for.
the the other reason its frowned upon is because mostly when people co habit its because they either cant be bothered to have a separate setup for the other snake, and when problems arise, they are stuck, and also because it usually shows that the keeper hasnt done the research enough, certainly not enough to realise, or know, that corns are solitary animals, they dont share their warmth, their hides, or anything. What may look to you like a nice loving cuddle is actually two snakes competing for the best spot. thats why its not only frowned upon, but also a very heated subject, one of which i will get actively involved in, as i am sure people on here will testify to!!
another problem you could have is that with such a difference in size could result in the smaller one being eaten by the bigger one, its reasonably rare, but that by no means excludes anyone from that scenario.
the main thing that you have done, and will raise a few comments, is the fact that you have no idea what sex the snakes are, for all you know the smaller one could be female, and the larger a male.
should that be the case, i can assure you that the male will hound the female into mating, and despite the fact that she is technically too small, that doesnt mean she isnt fertile.
a successful mating at her size would potentially either leave you with large vets bills, or it would kill her.
my advice. separate them now, before its too late. have the snakes sexed by someone who will do it for you, or in a shop.
if you need a second setup, then thats what you need.
Sta~ple Posted - 02/03/2011 : 10:40:07
Just because it's breeding season doesn't mean they will just breed in that time frame. Corns will breed when they are together whenever they want.
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/03/2011 : 01:04:18
And this one: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175

lotabob Posted - 02/03/2011 : 00:10:44
Its a rather heated subject matter is cohabiting snakes so rather than you thinking we are ganging up on you which we won't do it will be beneficial for you to read the 15+ pages of discussion already had on this subject. Its ultimately your decision but hope this helps you make the best choice for your snakes.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
eeji Posted - 02/03/2011 : 00:06:44
quote:
Originally posted by slix

...they simply love each others company...

no they don't
slix Posted - 01/03/2011 : 23:59:54
ok thank you all ime on it now thanks
gmac Posted - 01/03/2011 : 23:40:26
Split them up now. The smaller one may be a female and if the larger one is male and they try and breed, she will most likely be in a serious way.

other than the risks of cohabbing such a wide age and size difference of snake, Until you find out the sexes of these 2, you should not keep them together corns can breed at anytime of the year makes no odds to them.

lotabob Posted - 01/03/2011 : 23:36:30
NOW!!!

Its breeding season right now, they need seperating yesterday.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000