New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all i need to know what times of year corn snakes go in to there mating frenzie lol as i have two corns in a same tank and both un sexed.i know a lot of people frown on keeping to corns or any types of snakes in the same tank but i have never seen them happier they simply love each others company. but any way i need to know as one of the corns is approx 4-5 years old and the other one is 8-9 months old and dont want them breeding.any answers will be greatly appreciated .thank you all for your time and responses

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOW!!!

Its breeding season right now, they need seperating yesterday.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Split them up now. The smaller one may be a female and if the larger one is male and they try and breed, she will most likely be in a serious way.

other than the risks of cohabbing such a wide age and size difference of snake, Until you find out the sexes of these 2, you should not keep them together corns can breed at anytime of the year makes no odds to them.

Edited by - gmac on 01/03/2011 23:46:52
Go to Top of Page

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thank you all ime on it now thanks
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  00:06:44  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slix

...they simply love each others company...

no they don't

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  00:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a rather heated subject matter is cohabiting snakes so rather than you thinking we are ganging up on you which we won't do it will be beneficial for you to read the 15+ pages of discussion already had on this subject. Its ultimately your decision but hope this helps you make the best choice for your snakes.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  01:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And this one: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  10:40:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just because it's breeding season doesn't mean they will just breed in that time frame. Corns will breed when they are together whenever they want.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  15:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slix

hi all i need to know what times of year corn snakes go in to there mating frenzie lol as i have two corns in a same tank and both un sexed.i know a lot of people frown on keeping to corns or any types of snakes in the same tank but i have never seen them happier they simply love each others company. but any way i need to know as one of the corns is approx 4-5 years old and the other one is 8-9 months old and dont want them breeding.any answers will be greatly appreciated .thank you all for your time and responses

there is 3 things there that are important to take into account, make that 4 infact.
the reason its frowned upon is because its dangerous, especially to the smaller snake, but its also generally stressful, and stress in snakes is tricky so see if you dont know what you are looking for.
the the other reason its frowned upon is because mostly when people co habit its because they either cant be bothered to have a separate setup for the other snake, and when problems arise, they are stuck, and also because it usually shows that the keeper hasnt done the research enough, certainly not enough to realise, or know, that corns are solitary animals, they dont share their warmth, their hides, or anything. What may look to you like a nice loving cuddle is actually two snakes competing for the best spot. thats why its not only frowned upon, but also a very heated subject, one of which i will get actively involved in, as i am sure people on here will testify to!!
another problem you could have is that with such a difference in size could result in the smaller one being eaten by the bigger one, its reasonably rare, but that by no means excludes anyone from that scenario.
the main thing that you have done, and will raise a few comments, is the fact that you have no idea what sex the snakes are, for all you know the smaller one could be female, and the larger a male.
should that be the case, i can assure you that the male will hound the female into mating, and despite the fact that she is technically too small, that doesnt mean she isnt fertile.
a successful mating at her size would potentially either leave you with large vets bills, or it would kill her.
my advice. separate them now, before its too late. have the snakes sexed by someone who will do it for you, or in a shop.
if you need a second setup, then thats what you need.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000