The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Why a 3ft viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 24/02/2011 : 12:16:36
It always fascinate me when people say that an adult corn needs to have a minimum viv size of 3ft. Alot of people keep adult corns in RUBS and most I believe would use a 64 litre one. The internal dimensions of this is 60.5cm x 37cm x 28cm high (quite abit smaller than the external dimensions) which I would think is the same as a 2ft viv, infact I think alot of 2ft vivs would be higher. So why always say a 3ft? NO arguments please I am just wondering.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 27/02/2011 : 08:16:33
My 2 adults are in 3ft vivs and the two 6 month olds are in 2 ft vivs and will move into 3ft vivs when older. If I posted that I was keeping my adults in 2ft vivs I would get shouted at I think for the vivs being too small. However I wonder if the response would be different if I posted that I kept them in 64 litre RUBS?
lotabob Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:46:37
I'm planning 4 foot for Spot when he is older.
n/a Posted - 26/02/2011 : 18:39:13
Conventional wisdom suggests a vivarium where length plus depth is approximately the same length as the snake.

So 3' by 1' is fine for a 4' Corn

How the size of an adult Corn came to be 'generally' regarded as 4' I struggle to understand.

My girl is well over 5' and of similar size to adults I view at reptile centres and on the internet.

I use a 4' Vivarium for my adult corn
Benji54 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 17:57:59
i think my carpet would be happy in a 2x1 lol! she squeezed through the smallest gap yesterday!! i was terrified, trying to find an emergency vet and she just wiggled back out!! yep she'd be good in a 2x1, she never moves!! lol
Sta~ple Posted - 24/02/2011 : 18:33:26
I knwo for a fact my 5ft+ guy would not be happy in a 2ft x 1ft RUB/Viv. Well I say happy but you know what I mean... he uses all the space for his 4ft viv. However, my 3ft 8 girl would be fine in a 2ft x 1ft housing. All she needs is her snake cave XD
kdlang Posted - 24/02/2011 : 18:22:51
I have wondered about the same thing on occasion. However, my opinion is that my snakes are ultimately a part of my family and I wouldn't want to shut them up in a plastic box where I can hardly see them. Also, I have 1 corn that is 4.5ft long, 1 that would be over 4ft if he had a full tail, and 1 that will be over 4ft in a few months and I wouldn't like to see them cramped up in a viv that is smaller. I like them to have as much exercise and space as they want to use. Izzy could probably manage in a smaller viv as he is very rarely out but then the trip between hides gives him a bit of exercise to tone up his flabby tum when I can't get him out.
Again, this is just my opinion.
reptiledanny Posted - 24/02/2011 : 18:07:44
i see what you mean, but i think its that corns average at 4ft, so a 3ftx1ft is the perfect length for them. i keep my corn in a 4ft viv, the lx48 vivexotic, this may be slighlty big, but i he uses all the space and is always out and about climbing the logs i have in their
tehbunneh Posted - 24/02/2011 : 17:47:20
I believe some of the RUBs are around the 3ft mark, but I could be wrong there, and if so, it does raise questions, I guess, on whether a 2ft viv is possible. I mean, mine are all still young, and they hardly move about at all, the lazy sproglets, but Corns are meant to become LESS active as they age, so I am interested in hearing opinions on this, as to whether a 2ft would be feasible, as that is what I have currently for two of mine.
Benji54 Posted - 24/02/2011 : 16:39:13
i use a 3x2.5x18 viv for my corns and they enjoy it but hardly use the space, so i think ur right red, u probably could go smaller but, as kehhlyr says, a lot of its about looks and the bigger the viv, the more possibilites for features/layouts (dependent of course on the size of the snake!)
Red123 Posted - 24/02/2011 : 16:32:12
I can see what you mean with regards to the appearance but I'm wondering size, about the recommendations of a 3ft viv, why do people not say you can keep an adult corn in a 2ft x 18inch viv, the appearance would be the same as a 3ft just smaller. So why do no one say a 2ft viv will be fine for an adult corn?
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/02/2011 : 13:01:05
From what I know, most people that use rubs are generally breeders or people with a massive amount of snakes so finding space becomes an issue.
For everyone else it's a visual stimuli for the owner more than anything. What looks better??? A couple of lovely decorated and attractive looking vivs, or a couple plastic boxes??

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000