The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 when to rehouse?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danny28490 Posted - 21/02/2011 : 23:38:00
When is the right time to rehouse a snake to a 2 foot viv from a exo terra large flat faun, snake is about 1 foot long about 7-8 months old and quite thin.

I'm looking to be able to move him into an LX24" viv as a faun just doesn't look as nice and i want to be able to display my snake to guests too.

Just to give an idea the size of tango:

I was thinking of maybe moving him into a 2 foot viv in 4-6 weeks time, any advice will be a big help.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thistle Posted - 23/02/2011 : 03:46:03
I've heard that LED lights are the best to use (though I haven't personally used them yet as my snake is still a bit small for a viv) because they produce more than enough light but almost no heat, plus they are very low wattage so cost hardly anything to use.

You can find loads of cheap LED strips on eBay, this one for example....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48cm-48-LED-Light-Strip-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Car-White-UK-/160548401412?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item25616e3104#ht_5374wt_1002

You will however also need to buy an adapter like the one in the link below, but it still works out pretty cheap. If you have more than one viv you can use the same adapter for multiple strips.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Volt-2-Amp-AC-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-CCTV-SECURITY-PSU-12v-/150565600437?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item230e68bcb5#ht_4447wt_1002

Kehhlyr Posted - 23/02/2011 : 01:22:09
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

so if i was using lighting for viewing as example, then what would be best type of lighting for day, and for the evening in the dark if i wante to have a quick check on her that wouldnt give out much heat if any?

I use LED lights.
I bought a 5 quid fitting from B&Q and a LED bulb from ebay, nearly no heat whatsoever and the bulbs come in different colours and light intensities as well.
kdlang Posted - 23/02/2011 : 01:11:15
The light fittings were already in my vivs fitted by the previous owner of my stack who used bulbs to heat. But they are just normal light fittings fitted to the ceiling of the vivs with the cables passing out through a hole in the back. I use the lowest wattage one I could find which I can't remember what it is. They are on the warm side but thats more coincidence than design

Edit - Sorry Danny just realised we have thread hi-jacked here.
In response to your query. Whenever I have moved mine up an enclosure size I have used the rule that once the snake measures the length plus width of the enclosure he is in then I move him up a size. Saying that some snakes prefer smaller enclosures and some are happy in bigger ones. If you do move your snake up, just make sure it is well packed out with hides and greenery so it doesn't feel such a big space to him. You may find though that you never see your snake because he hides so well in it
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:59:05
Like I said before, I don't use them, but if I had one I would probably use it. Try not to turn it on after sundown. If you need to go in the viv try and use the room light.

Light bulbs will need a light fitting screwed into the top of the viv. You can put it on the side but it will look daft. I'm not sure about wattages, but the dullest light would be my choice. It doesn't matter what side you put it on as you're using a mat.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:52:17
How do you fit the standard enegery saving bulbs? and where in the viv do you place them, on the sides near top, or ont the "ceiling" and what wattage are they and would they best be placed on the warmer side or cooler sidE?

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I have energy saving bulbs in my 3 big vivs. When i put them in (when I was setting up the vivs before the snakes went in) I tested them for heat and even after being on for several hours the vivs were only reaching 19degrees. I still have them guarded tho and I only use them for spotchecking and when I'm cleaning out as I find normal daylight/room light is enough the rest of the time. In my smaller vivs I have those stick on led lights that I use when spotchecking

kdlang Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:50:37
I have energy saving bulbs in my 3 big vivs. When i put them in (when I was setting up the vivs before the snakes went in) I tested them for heat and even after being on for several hours the vivs were only reaching 19degrees. I still have them guarded tho and I only use them for spotchecking and when I'm cleaning out as I find normal daylight/room light is enough the rest of the time. In my smaller vivs I have those stick on led lights that I use when spotchecking
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:48:46
This forum reads this, (LINK REMOVED BY MOD)

and without even coming across this forum before i have this tubing

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=18&mid=12&lan=en

I don't leave it on continuously during the day or night, but to turn on when spot checking, throrough clean, and occasionaly just to see what Cecil is doing

Btw I'm not being difficult just trying to get a decision from what various people say and do

mod edit: link to other forum removed and section copied and pasted from other forums caresheet removed for copyright reasons
Invalid User Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:46:14
I also don't use any lights for my corns.
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:41:13
I always prefer to use no light at all. The ambient light in the room is more than enough to give the snake a natural photoperiod. If you want to use a light, as Gmac said, use a energy saving bulb with a guard. For night time, a lot of people say snakes can see red light, which again I have never had confirmed by an authoritative source. If its in the viv, it would also have to be guarded.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:39:44
so if i was using lighting for viewing as example, then what would be best type of lighting for day, and for the evening in the dark if i wante to have a quick check on her that wouldnt give out much heat if any?

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

UV is a source of vitamin D, thats why they get used. Corns have no need for extra Vit D due to diet. Lizards and others that need a UV need it because their diet isn't high enough in Vit D, or they simply need more than the diet can give them.

mikerichards Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:37:58
UV is a source of vitamin D, thats why they get used. Corns have no need for extra Vit D due to diet. Lizards and others that need a UV need it because their diet isn't high enough in Vit D, or they simply need more than the diet can give them.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:36:35
My question then is, what lighting should I use for day AND/OR night, that wont give out heat as I have a heat mat in place which is with a thermostat and working well, readings on the thermomete are constant

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Not a problem pal, just make sure you take in what others are saying and form an educated opinion.

Using UV is fine, and I think that it must benefit the snake, though saying that I don't use them. Just make sure it is secure and out of reach of the snake. A lot of people say they flicker at a rate humans can't see but snakes can, and therefore its bad for them. No doubt that they flicker, however, it has never been confirmed to be that a snake can see it by an authoritative source.

matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:33:03
Not a problem pal, just make sure you take in what others are saying and form an educated opinion.

Using UV is fine, and I think that it must benefit the snake, though saying that I don't use them. Just make sure it is secure and out of reach of the snake. A lot of people say they flicker at a rate humans can't see but snakes can, and therefore its bad for them. No doubt that they flicker, however, it has never been confirmed to be that a snake can see it by an authoritative source.
gmac Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:28:41
mine are nice and vibrant without UV, it is not necessary. If you do want to light your viv you can use an energy saver bulb. But if you do decide to put lighting in the light must be gaurded to stop your corn damaging itself.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:26:02

just going off topic, i would like to apologise to my responses that i may have given you and Mike,
wasn't me being ignorant or arrogant, it's just I got the impression people think I haven't done my homework, and most of my questions are kind of reassurance more than anything else

back on to topic, didnt think of it like that so tommorow will make the final changes,
also from researching and asking various corn snake owners, they have advised me using a 2% UV tube is fine a) for daytime lighting, and b) the 2% uv helps with the skin in relation to helping it be vibrant etc,

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Personally I think it is much better for the snake to get all the changes done quickly. The sooner its in what is to be its "normal" environment, the sooner it can get used to it.

Does a vet slowly insert a needle into a dog to not stress it too much, or does the vet do it quickly so it lasts a second.

matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:13:45
Personally I think it is much better for the snake to get all the changes done quickly. The sooner its in what is to be its "normal" environment, the sooner it can get used to it.

Does a vet slowly insert a needle into a dog to not stress it too much, or does the vet do it quickly so it lasts a second.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:09:04
I'm doing bit by bit, so added vines today and tommrow adding couple more hides and fake plants on the base, just doing it slowly over few days so i dont stress Cecil out with too many "New" scents

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

She;s actually foot and half long, and this was a pic taken prior to me filling it out completely which I have done earlier today!

Ah ok, well still pretty big for a 1.5 ft snake but if it's filled out more that should help. Would love to see some pics of how it looks now

Invalid User Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:54:16
quote:
Originally posted by danny28490

that viv looks good and i'm planning on having alot of plants and hides in mine so it looks really nice and loads of hiding spots for my snake, will have to see what i'm gonna do. not made my mind up yet

A few of my snakes are 2 ft long and still doing fine in a rub the size of a large faunarium. I would wait a while before moving to a 2ft viv.
Invalid User Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:51:31
quote:

She;s actually foot and half long, and this was a pic taken prior to me filling it out completely which I have done earlier today!

Ah ok, well still pretty big for a 1.5 ft snake but if it's filled out more that should help. Would love to see some pics of how it looks now
CentricMalteser Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:46:25

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

Here is a pic of my set up for my 1ft 5ins

I bought this

http://www.justvivariums.co.uk/wooden-vivariums--2/vivexotic-vx24-wooden-vivarium-oak?variant_id=1642

Ring them up and place and order and normally get it following day, i had great service from these.
This will do until he is about 3ft - 4ft

If you put any cables inside for thermometre or heatmat, just before you put the lid on, just cut a small hole on the back edge at the top for the cables, nd then use aquarium sealant so seal the hole to prevent your snake escaping - leave to dry for 24 hours though as the smell is toxic until it is dried. I also use the aquarium sealant to stick the heat mat down (which is safe to do so) as it acts like a glue too.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-572/geocel-aquarium-sealant-57981.html

IMO that viv is too big for your snake. It could be ok if there were loads more hides and lots of ground cover but that is a huge scary open space for a teeny little 1ft corn snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000