The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 When is it ok to handle?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leehale88 Posted - 19/02/2011 : 21:10:03
Hiya got me a new corn snake yesterday and handled him twice (once in the petshop and once to transfer him to the viv) and the second time he approached my hand not the other way round after a lil coaxing. He seems pretty settled and doesnt seem nervous to be honest i stood lookin at him earlier and he lay there resting his head on a rock looking back at me. My question is do i have to wait a week to start handling him? If i wasnt to wait a week what could the side effects be? (this is my first snake)
Any advice would be great thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 04/03/2011 : 16:45:05
I stick to about 5 days of settling down. I did change the water daily for Blaze and left him a minimum of 4 hours I must say, I really don't think it's an issue, as he's NEVER shown any aggression towards me whatsoever, he's the soppiest snake in the world. I had to break the rule again with Blitz as he was kept in a condition I wouldn't even pass as humane..

He went a bit skitzo, but he's calm as anything now!

I personally think it depends on the snake.. I don't think theyr'e subject to life long stress from being handled quickly..

One advice I can give is keep the handling to a minimum daily.. 5 minutes for a week, then ten, then step it up, but from exprience my snakes get really flity after I've had them out for about 20minutes so, to avoid injury to themselves, I put them back.
Laws Posted - 04/03/2011 : 12:28:04
he always seems very active after we have handled him , i e he doesnt go straight for his hide , hes very active and keeps looking back at me . he seemed alot calmer today being held for less than five mins while we cleaned his tub again . we are planning on feeding him tonight so we arent getting him out again till probably sunday now and by monday it will have been nearly a week,x
thistle Posted - 04/03/2011 : 08:45:23
Not handling for 7 days to let a new snake settle in is just a suggestion. Some people stick to it religiously others go by the temperament of the individual snake, whether it seems nervous, is hiding, etc. It's your choice.

Not handling for 48hrs after feeding is however a rule that must be stuck to prevent regurgitation.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 04/03/2011 : 02:34:08
well tbh, if your snakes happy to be touched by you, then i cant see the problem to be handled sooner, just keep in mind the 48hr rule after feeding - a snakes thats eaten do not handle for at least 48 hrs due to digestion of the food item
Laws Posted - 04/03/2011 : 00:10:56
we are having the same dilema , we had our 7 month old on tuesday and its killing us not ot hold him ! we have handled him briefly twice now both while changing his faun as he had pooped , i held him while my other half did the clean and he was fast to begin with , but then settled down and slowed down too , he seemed really active after in his faun as if to say he wanted to come back out . its killing us too!! we also wondered if it was a bad thing to hold him a little sooner ??? xx
Sta~ple Posted - 19/02/2011 : 21:52:15
Well if one day in settling in time that you stick you hand in to change the water and he crawls on your hand, I would say you can have a cuddle and break the 7 day rule :)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 19/02/2011 : 21:39:25
yeah its a pain in the ass alright!
leehale88 Posted - 19/02/2011 : 21:28:56
its killing me! lol
Katie.Dublin Posted - 19/02/2011 : 21:21:05
A week is just a guideline to let the snake settle into its new home. There might not be any concequences as such, it just the best way to ensure that your snake is more comfortable in its surroundings before you disturb it too much.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000