The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Ok so Cora is home, now some expert advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
new_snake_2011 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 06:55:21
Good Morning all.

So I have Cora in a small glass fish tank with a glass lid.

I was wondering, where do I go to see other set ups to get some ideas? I have bark sub, a leafy fake plant and a water bowl.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 31/01/2011 : 17:28:06
also thought that i should mention that its not only the shops, its also some vets, i went to 1 to ask for advice b4 getting my snake and as a direct quote: `all u need is a place to keep it (a viv), a heat mat, some substrate, a place for it to hide and thas it, its that easy` and thas what i was told by a vet.

also forgot to mention that i have 2 books on keeping snakes - 1 of which is specifically for red rat and corn snakes (by jerry g. walls) and they didnt even mention the need for a stat
new_snake_2011 Posted - 31/01/2011 : 15:47:22
Thanks everybody.

Stat and digi have been shipped, will be here tomorrow.

I am going to feed her on Wednesday and then bring on Saturday!!!!!!!!!! :D
Sta~ple Posted - 31/01/2011 : 11:15:50
Glass is fine in the meantime :D mine as yearlinsg were in a glass viv although now that I know they could crack I would never use them! I do know what you mean about cats though, ours are always knocking stuff and sitting in places they shouldn't! I got caught out by petshop info too :( they never mensioned a stat and I got given rubbish themeoters. I didn't reserach as I trusted teh guy who was selling me them, didn't know it was wrong until like 10 years later XD

It's hard not to touch them! I wish you luck resisting the urge lol.
Mort13 Posted - 31/01/2011 : 10:36:48
Hi,don't beat yourself up about not knowing about the stat. I too was sold a kit with no stat or temperature gauge and was told it was everything I needed.
Luckily I've had bearded dragons and chameleons in the past so I knew I needed these things.
Makes you wonder how many people out there have got reptiles set up wrongly due to the lack of information given out,its frightening.
Good luck with the torturous wait.
new_snake_2011 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 18:43:34
its only been 2 so far and its been torture! I think I will feed her on Wednesday then hopefully she will be readying by the weekend! :D
lotabob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 18:19:16
I wasn't saying it was an impulse buy, I meant that shops keep the price low enough for impulse buys. I don't blame you I blame the shops, they shouldn't be allowed to do what they do. I'm actually glad you wanted more information because without it who knows what could have happened.

You do realise it is 5 VERY long days to go, its torture, and you get to take lots of pictures and post them on here.
new_snake_2011 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 18:11:24
Hiya

My snake was not an impulse buy, just wanted people to know that. I have wanted a snake for a long time, then a close friend got one and so I spoke to my hubby and we agreed. So far its cost me and extra £40 to put it right, so I still would have paid the price to get what I wanted. By Tuesday all will be well. I can't wait to hold her, 5 days to go.

Thanks for all your advice and comments.
lotabob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 16:27:39
Its common knowledge to everyone that has bought their first snake that the people who sell snakes in shops don't know much. Its really annoying as its the first place you will go for information and lots of people are caught out by this practice of selling the minimum setup possible. It gives a false idea of the cost involved, puts the snake in danger, and lands the owner with a huge secondary bill for equipment they didn't even know was needed. The lucky few find a forum like this before and have a better idea of whats what but even then the shops can still talk you out of something you know is needed (I had an experience like this with the royal). To throw the blame solely on the shoulders of the new snake owner is slightly missing the point and not addressing the problem, I agree more research is needed for new owners before they even think of taking a snake home but shops make it seem oh so simple just to shift the stock and knock off half the equipment to keep it within an impulse buy limits. I don't understand it myself as its probably about an extra £50 tops to get everything you need.

edited - gmac
new_snake_2011 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 11:57:04
I was thinking of covering the glass as it goes :D. I have every intention of getting a wooden viv when she is bigger. I have however moved her to my living room, which is the warmest room in the house. I have the tank on top of the heat mat which inturn is on a slate tile, so it is holding the heat on the floor.
lee2308 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 11:11:19
thats good news,thats the problem,alot of shops dont mention stats as it puts the price up and then puts people off buying snake as it all costs to much.I can see where your coming from with the glass and weight theory,maybe when he gets bigger get him a wooden viv as they hold heat alot more better and are more enclosed might be a good idea to cover 3 sides on the tank with something to make the snake feel more secure and also the roof it that is clear.
new_snake_2011 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 06:48:31
I purchased the whole set up from a snake shop. Not pets at home or the likes. I believed that what I bought was all I needed. I came on here and asked about ideas for the set up, its only then that someone said about a stat. Even the 'kits' don't mention it or have one in there.

I chose a glass tank do to its weight, I have 6 cats (3 are bonkers kittens!) and a toddler, the last thing I wanted was the snake to be knocked off the side. The snake is currently living in my kitchen so my toddler cant not have access to it, but I want to move it to my living room.

I am trying to correct my mistake asap, I went out yesterday but couldn't buy what I need, my stat and digi are being delivery special delivery so will be here on Tuesday.

lee2308 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:35:16
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

as per Lees comments on the damage an unstatted mat can do I would turn the mat off, the risks of leaving it on are too much in my opinion, and hope your stat turns up on Tuesday.

just to add if you do turn the mat off do not feed during this time and just keep it in the warmest room in the house.
gmac Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:31:43
as per Lees comments on the damage an unstatted mat can do I would turn the mat off, the risks of leaving it on are too much in my opinion, and hope your stat turns up on Tuesday.
MickyB Posted - 29/01/2011 : 18:35:13
and surrey pet suopplies is good value, google it
MickyB Posted - 29/01/2011 : 18:32:34
ideally you should of done the research first but if i were you id buy a faun for like £12 id follow the sticky 101 that will tell you everything
Gaz_1989 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 18:28:33
Agree with Lee, it is a little irresponsible gettin a snake and THEN asking for the "expert advise".

However, at least you have asked and are willing to take advise. Stat is a must. Once you have the stat then I would put mat inside. And the exo terra digital thermometers are great, about £8 online. The strip on the glass really is useless, you might aswell guess the temp. Lol.

Let us know how you get on.

Gaz
lee2308 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 18:12:26
To be honest you really shouldnt of got the snake until you had the complete set up and you knew what to buy,the mat its going to get very hot without a thermostat and having it on the outside of the glass will probably crack the bottom with the heat and if you put it inside without a stat you risk serious injurys to the snake,i dont mean to sound that im having a go at you as lot of new owners dont get the right info and im just telling you as it is.
Inkygirl Posted - 29/01/2011 : 17:38:40
hiya welcome to the forum. sounds as though your getting there. my carolina corn snake is also called Cora :D xx
new_snake_2011 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 16:01:05
Benji54 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 15:13:54
cool. yeah digis are much better than stick on ones, especially because of their accuracy and because you can move it around to probe different areas and gain readings. a very good way to spend £15. setup looks okay, minus the prediscussed heat and stat requirements... all i would say is she has A LOT of places to hide! you'll be lucky to see her! :) good luck with everything!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000