The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 regurgitation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 20:45:58
hi everyone, i fed my milk snake on saturday night and i only handled him yesterday for about half an hour (most of which, he was in my shirt pocket curled up), and ive just changed his water over and found what i believe to be a half digested pinky, its the first time hes done this and ive handled him within 24hrs after feeding b4, please advise as im alittle worried.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:48:55
If the room temp is never below 23c then I strongly recommend you turn the heat mat off altogether until you get a stat and don't feed during this time. Having an unstatted, unmonitored heatmat is very dangerous.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:42:00
i intend on turning the mat off before i go to bed as the room temps never below 23o anyway and as for the towel trick, fold the ends rite at the edge of the faun base and crease the folds and where the hide is, have the towel a quarter of the way up the faun and then put the usual things on top - e.g. the substrate (i use aspen), water bowl and so on
gmac Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:21:12
Will be interested how you are going to be able to keep an eye on the temps as you sleep or when you are not at home.

The paper towel will do nothing to stop the heat getting through, and as the others have mentioned the unstatted mat may well melt its way through the base of your faun. So you have 2 choices here, 1. Leave as is and take the risk of melting the base of the faun and that will also not be very good for the snake, or 2 turn the heat mat off until you get the stat, for this you will need to make sure your room temps are not cold as the snake will only be getting ambient air temperature for warmth.

Milk snakes are hardy and can take temps a bit cooler but not for prolonged periods.

also out of curiosity how have you sortd the towel to stop the snake getting under it.

jedi edit - the temps you are looking for are from about 27-33 for hot end temps for your milk, not as mentioned previously as a bit lower
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:46:57
oh, rite ok, i will keep my eye on it, i cant not look at the faun and the snake, its right next to the comp now, as the heat mats here.

also, yh the snake does like to go under the towel but ive found a niggling way to make it more awkward for the snake to go underneath it
Invalid User Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:44:38
un statted heat mats have been known to melt the bottoms of fauns!

Also if your snake is anything like mine it will like to go under the kitchen roll.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:40:07
also, i have a piece of kitchen towel between the heat mat and the snake, the kitchen towel wont protect that much, but it will stop the possibility of the snake burning itself and hopefully subdue the potental over heating alittle as the mat is underneath and not in the faun
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 12:50:43
no i dont have a digi thermo yet and the soonest that i can get a stat is next week tbh as thats when i get paid next.
Invalid User Posted - 29/01/2011 : 11:57:27
That's good, just keep a close eye now onhow hot it's getting!

Have you got a digital thermometer yet? How soon can you get a stat?
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 11:21:17
just to let you guys know, the heat mat came this morning
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 02:39:37
I often find that the body goes milky, (usually particularly noticable on the belly depending on moprh), before the eyes. The eyes will soon go a milky colour and then he'll clear up and will then shed a few days after.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 01:50:44
i was just taking alook at the snake and it looks like the snakes going blue as the colours has gone dull (looks like old matt paint) but the eyes havnt "shaded" over yet and i didnt spot that sooner, just thought to let u all know.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 22:11:03
ok will do, thanks all for your advice, its been very helpful
Invalid User Posted - 28/01/2011 : 22:05:40
Yeah be very careful, my heat mat is under a faun and it gets very hot without a stat. 35c+ in a matter of mins. If your snake has been cool for a while it's probably going to head to the warm end once the heat mats on so keep a close eye on it.

ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 22:05:20
i will be keeping my eye on the temp as best as i can, and also the snake wont be in the faun for long aswel, as ive found an mdf supplier that r gunna cut and supply the mdf to build a viv, but i agree, the one bit of kit that u cant go without and the shops dont supply them, i bought 1 off ebay thats a specailist in reptile supplies.
lotabob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:56:52
If thats the soonest you can get one then just be very careful, heat mats very often can hit 40 degrees, too hot for a Milk Snake. If you can get a digital thermometer so you can read the temperatures more accurately. You'll have to be the thermostat and monitor relentlessly until it arrives. They are the most important bit of kit for keeping snakes (though most shops for some reason dont sell you them when you get a snake).
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:46:29
the thermostate will be bought next week as it was bill week this week and i was only just able to get the mat tbh
Invalid User Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:42:58
doesn't matter what end.

Do you have a thermostat for it? If not be careful and get one sorted and a digital thermometer. They are very cheap on ebay :)
lotabob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:42:45
Keep it familiar (the same).
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:41:00
oh ok, didnt know that, but hopefully the heat mat should be here 2moz, so it aint long, but 1 question, and this may soud stupid but, should i put the new one where the old 1 was, or change ends.
lotabob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 21:37:04
Until you have your heat source sorted its best to not feed, you wont be able to maintain a good digestion temperature (25-28 degrees). I have a vivarium in a warm apartment and left unheated it drops to about 17 degrees within a few hours.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000