The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 keeping a yellow rat snake and a corn together

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
slix Posted - 20/01/2011 : 13:28:00
hi all

i have been advised by local petshop that it would be ok for me to keep a yellow rat snake and my 6-7 month old corn snake in the same viv ,just want to hear peoples opinnions and wat they think as the come from the same family colourbridae???
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 25/01/2011 : 19:02:22
quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

onlypoopshops keep different species together. A good shop wouldn't do this.

It's interesting you say that... there is a shop in York which I consider to be very good and I know a lot of the forum members on here use it (I won't mention its name but anyone from York will know which one I mean). They do, however, keep corn snakes together. They are always of similar ages and sizes, but it does surprise me a bit because of what people have said on this forum about keeping snakes together.
What do other Yorkshire people think of this shop generally?

ah but thats totally different to keeping two different species together
mikeyd_26 Posted - 25/01/2011 : 16:33:44
i no which shop u on about i havent been in since i heard 1 of the staff actualy tell sum 1 they shud get another hatchie as there fine living together and if u get a female they can breed! Theres alot wrong wiv that in my opinion
LouiseB Posted - 25/01/2011 : 15:55:03
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

It's interesting you say that... there is a shop in York which I consider to be very good and I know a lot of the forum members on here use it (I won't mention its name but anyone from York will know which one I mean). They do, however, keep corn snakes together. They are always of similar ages and sizes, but it does surprise me a bit because of what people have said on this forum about keeping snakes together.
What do other Yorkshire people think of this shop generally?
eeji Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:35:55
Gaz_1989 Posted - 24/01/2011 : 14:50:43
Agree with above. Shops do the very minimum they can. Minimum enclosures, minimum food, not use a stat etc. Including keeping several snakes together.

If keeping reptiles is your chosen hobby then the least you can do is offer them the very best. This, sadly, means ingnoring pet shop advice and listening to what you want to hear.

Gaz
gmac Posted - 24/01/2011 : 14:19:47
as Herriotfan has said read the sticky on corns sharing a viv all the answers you need are there including some useful if not rather graphic photos.

Shops keep them together so they have more stock available, and they won tell you that its not a good idea.
Invalid User Posted - 24/01/2011 : 14:19:10
Have you read the thread?

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

It's up to you what you do and if you want to do what the pet shops do then that's your choice. Most pet shops say you don't need a thermostat but would you risk using a heat mat without one??? Pet shops will do what they can and say what they can to make a sale. I very much doubt you would see any corns housed together in a propper reptile shop run by people who breed snakes and know a hell of a lot about them compared to your standard pet shop staff!
slix Posted - 24/01/2011 : 14:11:04
but i many pet shops i have senn corns housed together and ratsnakes housed together and rat and corns housed together and they all seem fine with each oother so why do peopl say its so bad to house them together
eeji Posted - 20/01/2011 : 19:05:22
Yellows grow bigger than corns so bad idea.
mikerichards Posted - 20/01/2011 : 15:05:19
The simple fact that petshops are generally giving bad advice should answer it for you.very much a no no.
Invalid User Posted - 20/01/2011 : 14:02:15
I'd say no.
herriotfan Posted - 20/01/2011 : 13:31:59
Just look at the thread 'Advice on sharing a viv' you'll get plenty of opinions!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000