Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  13:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all

i have been advised by local petshop that it would be ok for me to keep a yellow rat snake and my 6-7 month old corn snake in the same viv ,just want to hear peoples opinnions and wat they think as the come from the same family colourbridae???

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  13:31:59  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just look at the thread 'Advice on sharing a viv' you'll get plenty of opinions!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  14:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say no.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  15:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The simple fact that petshops are generally giving bad advice should answer it for you.very much a no no.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yellows grow bigger than corns so bad idea.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  14:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but i many pet shops i have senn corns housed together and ratsnakes housed together and rat and corns housed together and they all seem fine with each oother so why do peopl say its so bad to house them together
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  14:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you read the thread?

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

It's up to you what you do and if you want to do what the pet shops do then that's your choice. Most pet shops say you don't need a thermostat but would you risk using a heat mat without one??? Pet shops will do what they can and say what they can to make a sale. I very much doubt you would see any corns housed together in a propper reptile shop run by people who breed snakes and know a hell of a lot about them compared to your standard pet shop staff!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  14:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as Herriotfan has said read the sticky on corns sharing a viv all the answers you need are there including some useful if not rather graphic photos.

Shops keep them together so they have more stock available, and they won tell you that its not a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  14:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with above. Shops do the very minimum they can. Minimum enclosures, minimum food, not use a stat etc. Including keeping several snakes together.

If keeping reptiles is your chosen hobby then the least you can do is offer them the very best. This, sadly, means ingnoring pet shop advice and listening to what you want to hear.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  18:35:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
onlypoopshops keep different species together. A good shop wouldn't do this.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  15:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

It's interesting you say that... there is a shop in York which I consider to be very good and I know a lot of the forum members on here use it (I won't mention its name but anyone from York will know which one I mean). They do, however, keep corn snakes together. They are always of similar ages and sizes, but it does surprise me a bit because of what people have said on this forum about keeping snakes together.
What do other Yorkshire people think of this shop generally?

2.0.0 Western hognose (Baldrick and Bob)
0.1.0 Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  16:33:44  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i no which shop u on about i havent been in since i heard 1 of the staff actualy tell sum 1 they shud get another hatchie as there fine living together and if u get a female they can breed! Theres alot wrong wiv that in my opinion

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  19:02:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

It's interesting you say that... there is a shop in York which I consider to be very good and I know a lot of the forum members on here use it (I won't mention its name but anyone from York will know which one I mean). They do, however, keep corn snakes together. They are always of similar ages and sizes, but it does surprise me a bit because of what people have said on this forum about keeping snakes together.
What do other Yorkshire people think of this shop generally?

ah but thats totally different to keeping two different species together

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000