The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Cheap Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Covps2blue Posted - 15/01/2011 : 23:43:35
Guys I have been buying bags of Aspen from a local reptile store, but am now getting fed up of paying £15 for a 20l bag of aspen. Anyone know where I can get loads for less £££

Thanks
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 18/01/2011 : 17:06:43
Auboise is only about £8 a bag from our local Horsey shop.

I think that's a sneezy substrate though. I use it for the corns/kings/hoggy no problem, but my Royal's nostril blocked up on auboise. She must have had an allergic reaction to it because it righted itself when we put her on kitchen roll.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/01/2011 : 12:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i use megazorb for the rats, mice and snakes, not had any sneezy incidents with either, i dont find it to be that dusty, maybe we get better quality down south????

you can get most bedding stuff from an equestrian store, seeing as its most commonly used as horse bedding.
a bag of megazorb lasts us 2 weeks!!!

You must do lol. Or I got a bad bag :( it is great for sucking up poops though!
mikerichards Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:33:29
i use megazorb for the rats, mice and snakes, not had any sneezy incidents with either, i dont find it to be that dusty, maybe we get better quality down south????

you can get most bedding stuff from an equestrian store, seeing as its most commonly used as horse bedding.
a bag of megazorb lasts us 2 weeks!!!
eeji Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:26:25
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

I am interested to know more about this Auboise. I am soon to have 4 x 3' vivs and my aspen at £6 a small bag is going to mount up.

I can't access the link from my phone, how does it compare to aspen? Is it a type of wood shaving?

Gaz

i looks and feels pretty much the same, but it is made from hemp
Sta~ple Posted - 16/01/2011 : 21:16:51
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Ah, thanks for that. I must say the megazorb says low dust but I did find it very dusty.

Nimbus is just on kitchen roll right now as he is still new and I wanted to keep an eye out for nasties so the roll was easier to check. Might look into the Aubiose for later though.

I thought it was too considering it seems to brag it's been dust extracted twice lol. I also got some funny protractors made out of megazorb in my bag and rulers lol.
Invalid User Posted - 16/01/2011 : 19:50:45
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Aubiose is good ^^ If not Megazorb is good if your snake isn't a sneezy one. I have one sneezy snake but he's such a burrower, the dust of the Megazorb goes up his nose, the rest of my snakes are fine on it though. I've just used up the last bag of Megazorb, lasted about 8/7 months for 2 baby corns and 2 adults with big vivs and was only £7 for I think it's 17kg. I do prefer Aubiose though as it's not as dusty as Megazorb and you kinda get more for your money, like I think mine was £8.60 for 20kg of it.

Ah, thanks for that. I must say the megazorb says low dust but I did find it very dusty.

Nimbus is just on kitchen roll right now as he is still new and I wanted to keep an eye out for nasties so the roll was easier to check. Might look into the Aubiose for later though.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 16/01/2011 : 19:46:15
I am interested to know more about this Auboise. I am soon to have 4 x 3' vivs and my aspen at £6 a small bag is going to mount up.

I can't access the link from my phone, how does it compare to aspen? Is it a type of wood shaving?

Gaz
jonoandapril Posted - 16/01/2011 : 14:37:51
iv just got shed loads of shredded paper from work. not started using it tho cuz iv still got some aspen left. heard its ok to use tho and mega cost effective!
jono
Sta~ple Posted - 16/01/2011 : 12:53:23
Aubiose is good ^^ If not Megazorb is good if your snake isn't a sneezy one. I have one sneezy snake but he's such a burrower, the dust of the Megazorb goes up his nose, the rest of my snakes are fine on it though. I've just used up the last bag of Megazorb, lasted about 8/7 months for 2 baby corns and 2 adults with big vivs and was only £7 for I think it's 17kg. I do prefer Aubiose though as it's not as dusty as Megazorb and you kinda get more for your money, like I think mine was £8.60 for 20kg of it.
Invalid User Posted - 16/01/2011 : 11:05:39
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

not for aspen, but aubiose is better than aspen i think, and you an get that for 12 quid or so and lasts months. I have a few snakes and a bag of Aubiose lasts 4 months or so may be longer.

sneaky edit to add the link www.aubiose.co.uk

Do you know, is this stuff like Megazorb? I used to use megazorb for my rabbits. http://www.farmway.co.uk/equine-2/tack-room-stable-24/stable-equipment-40/northern-driers-megazorb-animal-1788.htm
Covps2blue Posted - 16/01/2011 : 10:13:39
yer that would be really great. Do you have a number for the place where you get it from? I will be moving house in a month or two and have about three months of aspen left, after that I will be deffo looking to take up your offer. Thanks
sullysteve Posted - 16/01/2011 : 09:22:39
I bought a sack the 2.5 ft tall 1.5ft wide and 1ft deep for 25 quid. It's so compressed that I have barely scratched the surface and I use 4 fauns and 2 3ft vivs that get cleaned every mOnth! I'll try and find out the exact amount and I can always get hold of it for you guys on here.

Sul
Covps2blue Posted - 16/01/2011 : 09:18:14
Thanks guys will give this stuff I try me thinks.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/01/2011 : 01:09:00
Auboise is what i'll be looking into after all the Aspen my mum bought has gone, especially now that some of them are, or will soon be going into vivs.
gmac Posted - 15/01/2011 : 23:46:27
not for aspen, but aubiose is better than aspen i think, and you an get that for 12 quid or so and lasts months. I have a few snakes and a bag of Aubiose lasts 4 months or so may be longer.

sneaky edit to add the link www.aubiose.co.uk

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000