The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Aspen?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 22/12/2010 : 16:02:49
I use beech chip as substrate but i do feel sorry for the snakes as I have often seen them trying to burrow in it which can't be very comfortable for them. I like the look of aspen but am concerned that they may ingest it as I always feed in the viv. Putting kitchen towel down or a bowl with the rat in i'm not sure will work as my adults often drag the rat slightly. Any suggestions on a softer substrate I could use and still feed in the viv?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 10:44:32
He has not shown me aggression in his viv as yet but hates being touched by human skin he really flinches, so I always wear gloves with him. I feel that bringing him out of the viv every week or so would be quite stressful for him and unsettle him it took a good 2 months before he would even move if he could see me.
Ammerz Posted - 23/12/2010 : 10:40:10
quote:
one adult can be nervous aggressive

I've always found feeding out of the viv helps to reduce aggressiveness!!
Red123 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 10:32:55
Eeji, I have 2 adults both around the 5ft mark and I also have 2 youngsters both are approx 16inches. I don't really want to feed out of the viv as they are all happy feeding in the vivs and one adult can be nervous aggressive through previous owners ill treatment and the other adult is a right lar lar anything new and he gets really upset, bless him.
lrv2307 Posted - 22/12/2010 : 19:28:08
i feed morgana in her lil tub outside the viv, but i have a bit of kitchen roll under the warm side of the viv, and aspen in the cool end, as she loves to burrow
Invalid User Posted - 22/12/2010 : 19:13:25
I use kitchen roll and put quite a few sheets in the cool end and Nimbus likes to burrow under and inbetween the sheets.

Having said that, I still feed him outside his tank.
eeji Posted - 22/12/2010 : 19:01:33
how big is your snake?
herriotfan Posted - 22/12/2010 : 16:44:13
You could still use aspen and feed in the viv if you want to. Just put some kitchen roll under the food. Or, as above ^^ feed out of the viv.
a33272 Posted - 22/12/2010 : 16:11:11
most substrates will give u the same problems due to the fibres, just start to feed out the viv :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000