The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Dieting a young corn?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/12/2010 : 11:34:46
Hi, one for the experienced keepers and breeders here!

Query- are there any issues associated with putting a young corn that is still growing on a diet?

My female 09 butter is big- 260g and around 2 1/2 to three feet long- nearly up to breeding size! Atm she is fed one small mouse (barely more than a fuzzy) every 7 days, but she is still piling on weight and is beginning to show fat deposits near her tail. She is very active, has plenty in the viv to climb on so is not lacking in exercise.

I don't want her getting obese, but at the same time I don't want to be feeding her less than she needs for healthy growth etc. If she were an adult I would not hesitate to up the diet, but she is still a young'un.

Any advice? Not come across this before in a corn this age.

Cheers.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 08/12/2010 : 20:07:04
Wow I didn't know young corns could get fat, you sure she doesn't need a massive poo XD I always thought the young ones used their excess food to grow more.

Learn new stuff everyday :D
eeji Posted - 08/12/2010 : 18:27:43
i'd personally do as K says and feed the same size just less often.
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/12/2010 : 12:04:51
Cheers Kehhlyr

I'm more than happy to move her 2 every couple of weeks, I just was wondering if it would be an issue. I think she will be a big snake regardless though lol.

I have no doubt she will be ready to breed next year, but she isn't 3yo yet...... I wonder whether the age actually matters as much as the size and weight though?

She isn't yet obese but is definitely on the chunky side of the scale, if she continues getting longer whilst maintaining or gaining weight slowly then I'll be happy.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/12/2010 : 11:59:25
I'd just restrict the feeding times, cut them down a lot more.
Move the feeding to every 14 days, or between 14 and 21 days. You know that they can easily got for a while without food, so I wouldn't have thought that a large change in feeding habits would cause any issues even for a still growing corn.

Then again with breeding 'season' in a couple months do you reckon she'll be ready then? that will probably knock a hefty chunk of her excess weight off as well. Then again I've not bred corns that have fat bum, so dunno if that could cause issues so will defer to others for that one.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000