The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hand Sanitisers.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Recluso Posted - 05/12/2010 : 09:03:51
Mornin' folks!

So one thing I've read a lot about is the importance of making sure you wash your hands before and after handling snakes. Makes sense, used to do it with my rodents and still wash my hands after handling my dogs. But one thing I've read is that using hand sanitisers can be harmful to a snake (am assuming this might be the case because of the alcohol in it?). Is there any truth to this? I use sanitisers a lot, both in my job and also around the house. Heck, I have a bottle sitting on my desk as we speak and once I got my snake, I would have most likely used sanitisers after handling but am loathe to if they might indeed cause harm.

R.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 05/12/2010 : 20:53:34
This thread reminded me to buy some so I got a bottle today :o)
drchino Posted - 05/12/2010 : 19:45:36
I really should get a bottle in my room, especially when I eventually get my royal
lotabob Posted - 05/12/2010 : 14:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

the alcohol evaporates quickly so once you hands are dry after using it theres nothing to worry about

Thats the important thing. Your hands have to be properly dry. I actually use the hand sanitiser they use in hospitals at work to remove stickie marks, its a great cleaning product but I spilt some and it removed the varnish off the table so it probably could be harmful if you were using the strong stuff but even that is harmles dry.
eeji Posted - 05/12/2010 : 14:03:23
the alcohol evaporates quickly so once you hands are dry after using it theres nothing to worry about
hiper2009 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 13:33:47
I always use the carex lemon scented ones and been using for over two years now and not had any problems.
Recluso Posted - 05/12/2010 : 10:04:05
Well that's a bit of a relief :) It did seem a bit strange to say that a sanitiser gel could cause harm given that it's universally safe to use in hospitals and veterinary clinics and the like.
lrv2307 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 09:46:45
i use carex hand wash, and ive got a regular hand sanitizer from boots, but the non scented type

morgana seems to have a good idea its me and not food lol
herriotfan Posted - 05/12/2010 : 09:33:40
I use it all the time and never had any problems.
n/a Posted - 05/12/2010 : 09:11:24
On youtube the SnakeBytes guy said that alcohol doesn't harm them.(And he has ALOT of snakes)
Tiffany-x Posted - 05/12/2010 : 09:09:09
I dont think hand sanitisers do harm to snakes, Ive been to a few shops and breeders and they all used an alcohol gel. But I may be wrong so dont take my word for it. :)
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000