The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help explaining behaviour.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lotabob Posted - 01/12/2010 : 22:13:58
On Monday as if perfectly timed my heating packed in which has meant the cold end of the viv is a few degrees cooler than normal (the lowest its been is 17.4). His warm end is holding steady at his normal 28 degrees. Rather than stay in the hot end, Spot is almost constantly in the cold end hide. & days ago he regurged a bit of his meal so he hasn't been fed now for over a week and also hasn't been handled.

Could the lack of food cause him to want to cool his body and slow his metabolism?

Will the cold affect his stomach recovering from last weeks regurge?

Is he trying to hibernate, if so should I just let him get on with it?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 02/12/2010 : 20:50:51
He is approx 6 months, He does have three hides, One hot, one cold and one hidden in the bushes at the back. He has options that's for sure, he normally spends most of his time in the hot end (which his mat keeps at 28 degrees almost constantly) until Monday and now the cold end has dropped a few degrees cooler than normal that's where he wants to be. It doesn't appear to be doing him any harm I held him briefly, he was quite cold to the touch but he was alert and active so I'll not worry about it, he's always been a chilled out snake now its just a bit more literal. He will be getting fed on Sunday so I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens.
Red123 Posted - 02/12/2010 : 19:07:38
Same here, Sid is spending virtually all his time in the cool at the moment, yet his temps have not altered at all.
Sta~ple Posted - 02/12/2010 : 17:17:09
Hope you get your question answered as my 11 year old keeps staying in his cool end and the hot end hasn't changed at all.
herriotfan Posted - 02/12/2010 : 16:34:31
How old is he? It's not unusual for males of breeding age to go off their food at this time of year. Also he may be reacting to the cooler conditions and slowing down as he would in the wild.
Edit to add.. As long as the warm end is still normal temp then he has the choice to go there is he wants, I assume he has a hide both ends.
Mort13 Posted - 02/12/2010 : 16:31:48
I haven't a clue,but hopefully my reply will get your post bumped up so that someone who does know can help you out.
Hope the little tinkers back to his usual self soon.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000