New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  22:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Monday as if perfectly timed my heating packed in which has meant the cold end of the viv is a few degrees cooler than normal (the lowest its been is 17.4). His warm end is holding steady at his normal 28 degrees. Rather than stay in the hot end, Spot is almost constantly in the cold end hide. & days ago he regurged a bit of his meal so he hasn't been fed now for over a week and also hasn't been handled.

Could the lack of food cause him to want to cool his body and slow his metabolism?

Will the cold affect his stomach recovering from last weeks regurge?

Is he trying to hibernate, if so should I just let him get on with it?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't a clue,but hopefully my reply will get your post bumped up so that someone who does know can help you out.
Hope the little tinkers back to his usual self soon.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:34:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is he? It's not unusual for males of breeding age to go off their food at this time of year. Also he may be reacting to the cooler conditions and slowing down as he would in the wild.
Edit to add.. As long as the warm end is still normal temp then he has the choice to go there is he wants, I assume he has a hide both ends.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 02/12/2010 16:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  17:17:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope you get your question answered as my 11 year old keeps staying in his cool end and the hot end hasn't changed at all.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  19:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here, Sid is spending virtually all his time in the cool at the moment, yet his temps have not altered at all.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is approx 6 months, He does have three hides, One hot, one cold and one hidden in the bushes at the back. He has options that's for sure, he normally spends most of his time in the hot end (which his mat keeps at 28 degrees almost constantly) until Monday and now the cold end has dropped a few degrees cooler than normal that's where he wants to be. It doesn't appear to be doing him any harm I held him briefly, he was quite cold to the touch but he was alert and active so I'll not worry about it, he's always been a chilled out snake now its just a bit more literal. He will be getting fed on Sunday so I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 02/12/2010 20:51:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000