The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding Trouble

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/12/2010 : 21:00:41
Hi all,

My corn hasn't eaten for almost 2 months! He has missed the odd feed in the past and I've then not fed him for a few weeks, but never this long and he has refused 3 mice in total during the period (the 3rd of which is in the viv right now just begging to be eaten!).
He is looking normal and healthy, although he had been very quiet for the last few weeks until he had a little poo earlier and become more lively, hence I thought I'd try a feed. He has a little sniff around but doesn't show any real interest, not even when I dangle the mouse in front of him for a while.
It can't be the weather cause the viv temp isn't affected by the outside blizzards.
I'm starting to think it's something to do with the mice (same supplier as usual)?
What are your thoughts?

Thank you :)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 04/12/2010 : 11:45:03
You could offer smaller sized prey, sometimes works.
ajacklin Posted - 04/12/2010 : 10:19:17
I know you say the viv isn't affected by the blizzards but it's worth checking the temp at the cool end of the viv. When I first got mine the previous owner said it was all set up correctly but the ambient temperature in the room where he was kept got too cold, he spent the majority of time in the cool end. As soon as I sorted the temps out at both ends (ie 22c cool end, 29c warm end) he was fine and started eating again.
Red123 Posted - 03/12/2010 : 13:13:02
I think it must be the time of year. Sid has just refused his rat. He has poked and pushed it around like he was expecting it do something but then he just left it and spent 30 minutes slithering around his viv. I'm guessing its because its winter. Sid did this earlier in the year as well in march.
n/a Posted - 02/12/2010 : 12:51:10
Thanks Eeji,

He's about 8 years old now. If he doesn't eat the next one I'll certainly try a smaller mouse. And I'll weigh him later and then again every few days until he starts eating.
eeji Posted - 01/12/2010 : 21:13:21
I'm guesstimating that he's around 2-3 years old? If so, its fairly normal for some males especially to go off their food at this time of the year.

If you weigh him and keep a close eye on it in case he loses weight quickly a check up at the vets would be a good idea.

Try offering food a lot smaller than you normally would as their stomachs shrink over time so a smaller item may be more appetising.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000