New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  21:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My corn hasn't eaten for almost 2 months! He has missed the odd feed in the past and I've then not fed him for a few weeks, but never this long and he has refused 3 mice in total during the period (the 3rd of which is in the viv right now just begging to be eaten!).
He is looking normal and healthy, although he had been very quiet for the last few weeks until he had a little poo earlier and become more lively, hence I thought I'd try a feed. He has a little sniff around but doesn't show any real interest, not even when I dangle the mouse in front of him for a while.
It can't be the weather cause the viv temp isn't affected by the outside blizzards.
I'm starting to think it's something to do with the mice (same supplier as usual)?
What are your thoughts?

Thank you :)

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm guesstimating that he's around 2-3 years old? If so, its fairly normal for some males especially to go off their food at this time of the year.

If you weigh him and keep a close eye on it in case he loses weight quickly a check up at the vets would be a good idea.

Try offering food a lot smaller than you normally would as their stomachs shrink over time so a smaller item may be more appetising.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eeji,

He's about 8 years old now. If he doesn't eat the next one I'll certainly try a smaller mouse. And I'll weigh him later and then again every few days until he starts eating.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  13:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it must be the time of year. Sid has just refused his rat. He has poked and pushed it around like he was expecting it do something but then he just left it and spent 30 minutes slithering around his viv. I'm guessing its because its winter. Sid did this earlier in the year as well in march.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

ajacklin
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you say the viv isn't affected by the blizzards but it's worth checking the temp at the cool end of the viv. When I first got mine the previous owner said it was all set up correctly but the ambient temperature in the room where he was kept got too cold, he spent the majority of time in the cool end. As soon as I sorted the temps out at both ends (ie 22c cool end, 29c warm end) he was fine and started eating again.

2 Corn Snake - Jaffa & ??
1 Rottweiller - JD
1 Collie X - Annie
2 Cats - Galaxy & Karamel
3 Chickens - Drummer, Noodle & Nugget
8 Gold Fish & 1 Koi - Jingle
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:45:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could offer smaller sized prey, sometimes works.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000