The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Small Stones/Pebbles as Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
StephenParker846 Posted - 24/11/2010 : 21:34:34
The wife dragged me into IKEA at the weekend. So what has this got to do with Cornsnakes I can hear people screaming.
Whilst looking around I found 1kg bags of pebbles, that were very reasonably priced at 69p a bag. I thought that they might make an interesting and different substrate for my 3 cornsnakes.
I have got an adult one in a 4 foot viv and 2 babies in a small glass viv.
The question is do you think that it will be ok to use some of these small pebbles as a substarte in these viv's.
Thanks for your words of wisdom.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 22/12/2010 : 08:39:19
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

The heat would get through them, it would take a while, but once they get hot they can get very hot and hold the heat for a very long time!
Tiffany-x

Exactly the reason for not using them, they retain heat too well and regulating it would be more difficult. That and keeping them clean.
Tiffany-x Posted - 22/12/2010 : 08:25:32
The heat would get through them, it would take a while, but once they get hot they can get very hot and hold the heat for a very long time!
Tiffany-x
drchino Posted - 21/12/2010 : 22:44:15
Remembering peoples comments from another thread here a while back, they're fine to use but just a pain to clean as everyone has said already! You don't want to build up a big layer of them though as the heat wouldn't go through them very well.
lrv2307 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 20:34:03
i have a little pebble arch that ive made gave the pebbles a good scrub and sterilise first and kinda baked them in the oven to kill any bugs
my sankey seems to like going through it as i also have grasses and aspen over it....if you get my meaning
jonoandapril Posted - 21/12/2010 : 19:02:50
i cant think of any reason not... it might actually help when they come to shed as they'l have more to rub on? means no tunneling tho which is something my snakey could live without!
Katie.Dublin Posted - 24/11/2010 : 22:44:08
i have fish pebbles in my viv. I have black ones in the bottom of the water dish too! It looks cool
Sta~ple Posted - 24/11/2010 : 22:01:51
I only have some small pebbles to weigh down my probes, they are a nightmare to clean poo off! The poo goes and leaks and gets everywhere as there is nothing aborbant to soak it up. Wish they would poop on the aspen XD

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000