The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Getting Corn's 1st Vivarium tommorow, little help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/11/2010 : 21:45:58
Hi guys, i just wondered what a good size viv is for a corn snake thats about 2 foot long. He is the length + width of his faun no and we feel it's time to get him a proper viv now.

Also I wondered if the heat mat, thermostat, thermometer etc are all ok to transfer over to the viv or would we need bigger mat or a bulb as a heat source?

Finally, how do you ix the heatmat to a viv? Cause at the moment we have got the heatmat underneath the faun on the outside, but with any viv we have seen, the heatmat would have to go on the inside which i thought may be unsafe for him to lie directly on.

Cheers all
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 02/11/2010 : 09:24:46
As long as the mats set to the right temperature with a thermostat it'll be safe for the snake to lie on,I find mine hollow out the substrate and lie right on it! It depends on the size of your heatmat now. I bought a new one as its supposed to be a third of the size of their enclosure and the one with my faun was too small.I used aquarium sealant too for fixing it.
My snake was a few cms of the length and width of his faun. I'd already bought a 3 foot viv for when he was bigger,so I partitioned it and moved him into one half last week and he's settled in brill.
Once he's grown I can just take the partition out and do some rearranging,up size some of his furniture and it'll hopefully do him for the rest of his life.

Only problem was the other empty half was too tempting so theres now another snakey lol!
n/a Posted - 02/11/2010 : 09:23:49
Cheers, i just hope out faunarium heatmat is big enough
gingerpony Posted - 02/11/2010 : 09:17:14
tbh a mat as the only heatsource is ideal!
i don't fix down the mats i pin them down with a heavy hide or other decor. providing the mat is running through a stat and the stat probe is secure your snake should be absolutely fine
n/a Posted - 02/11/2010 : 08:36:33
So it doesn't matter if the snake lies directly on top of a heatmat? and is a mat ok to use as the only heatsource?
lotabob Posted - 01/11/2010 : 23:21:22
OOOh aquaseal is a good idea. Any other heatmat sticking methods?
sullysteve Posted - 01/11/2010 : 23:17:15
I used aqua seal and fixed it down completly flat! Perfects!

chrish Posted - 01/11/2010 : 22:33:42
I havent fixed my heat mats down, the hides and decorations pin them down for me ....im not sure wether it would cause any harm if the snake got underneath though, as long as its stated the heat output from the bottom should be the same as the top? i may be wrong though so dont take that as gospel!
lotabob Posted - 01/11/2010 : 22:18:40
My snake isn't even 2 foot (16-17 inches maybe) and he is happy in a 2 foot viv, plenty of fake plants, good hides and nice hidden paths at the back. Though that is just my snake, he's a confident little thing, he can pretty much get from any point in the viv to another point without been seen, but tends to not bother and just strides accross the middle. Not advice as such just how things are for my snake.
mikerichards Posted - 01/11/2010 : 22:04:42
personally, i wouldnt get a viv just yet, but if you do, go for a 3x1x1.5, fill it with hides and branches etc, help prevent the whole insecurity thing.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000