Getting Corn's 1st Vivarium tommorow, little help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  21:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, i just wondered what a good size viv is for a corn snake thats about 2 foot long. He is the length + width of his faun no and we feel it's time to get him a proper viv now.

Also I wondered if the heat mat, thermostat, thermometer etc are all ok to transfer over to the viv or would we need bigger mat or a bulb as a heat source?

Finally, how do you ix the heatmat to a viv? Cause at the moment we have got the heatmat underneath the faun on the outside, but with any viv we have seen, the heatmat would have to go on the inside which i thought may be unsafe for him to lie directly on.

Cheers all

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  22:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally, i wouldnt get a viv just yet, but if you do, go for a 3x1x1.5, fill it with hides and branches etc, help prevent the whole insecurity thing.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  22:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake isn't even 2 foot (16-17 inches maybe) and he is happy in a 2 foot viv, plenty of fake plants, good hides and nice hidden paths at the back. Though that is just my snake, he's a confident little thing, he can pretty much get from any point in the viv to another point without been seen, but tends to not bother and just strides accross the middle. Not advice as such just how things are for my snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  22:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent fixed my heat mats down, the hides and decorations pin them down for me ....im not sure wether it would cause any harm if the snake got underneath though, as long as its stated the heat output from the bottom should be the same as the top? i may be wrong though so dont take that as gospel!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  23:17:15  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used aqua seal and fixed it down completly flat! Perfects!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  23:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOh aquaseal is a good idea. Any other heatmat sticking methods?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it doesn't matter if the snake lies directly on top of a heatmat? and is a mat ok to use as the only heatsource?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:17:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh a mat as the only heatsource is ideal!
i don't fix down the mats i pin them down with a heavy hide or other decor. providing the mat is running through a stat and the stat probe is secure your snake should be absolutely fine

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, i just hope out faunarium heatmat is big enough
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the mats set to the right temperature with a thermostat it'll be safe for the snake to lie on,I find mine hollow out the substrate and lie right on it! It depends on the size of your heatmat now. I bought a new one as its supposed to be a third of the size of their enclosure and the one with my faun was too small.I used aquarium sealant too for fixing it.
My snake was a few cms of the length and width of his faun. I'd already bought a 3 foot viv for when he was bigger,so I partitioned it and moved him into one half last week and he's settled in brill.
Once he's grown I can just take the partition out and do some rearranging,up size some of his furniture and it'll hopefully do him for the rest of his life.

Only problem was the other empty half was too tempting so theres now another snakey lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000