The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 daft question - defrosting pinkies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wagner1966 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 06:24:14
Getting excited about first feed tuesday night but now not sure how/when to defrost pinkies. Was going to get it out of the freezer monday night and leave for about 24 hours - does that sound ok? Daft question I know but want to make sure everything goes ok.
Cheers
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 27/10/2010 : 20:03:34
After 12 hours I know they are yucky... as in their juices seem to explode out for me haha XD in 24 hours... they stink and are all dried up. I leave my pinkies to be defrosted for an hour, jumbo ice 8 hours which is probably excessive but hey, I treat mice like I would do frozen peas/sausages :)
drchino Posted - 27/10/2010 : 15:04:10
When I leave mice overnight they tend to start going a funny colour and smell funny by the evening. Ever since then I've just put the mouse in a sandwich bag and left it in cold water for an hour and then put it in warm water for 10-20 minutes. They've always been thoroughly defrosted by then.
elament Posted - 27/10/2010 : 11:39:39
yeah Id be inclined to believe something else was amiss too. As GP says I too have left food in overnight its not ideal but hey you gotta do what you gotta do when they wont feed immediately. Personally I think 12 hours is too long for pinkies on a regular basis. As a last resort yeah but id prefer my snakes to get food as close to fresh as possible.
bigal Posted - 27/10/2010 : 09:34:39
To be honest don't know the full facts info came via a third party. Gues its just like humans you can get "dodgy" food that gives you a tummy upset.
gingerpony Posted - 26/10/2010 : 22:09:54
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

Must admit I have heard (via a third party) of a Snake having to visit the vet after the owner fed food left to defrost overnight.

hmmmm, not sure if that would be the sole reason/cause............i've left pinkies in with hatchies for 24hrs to get them to eat, it's not ideal though
wagner1966 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 10:59:40
Put the pinkies out this morning and will have a look lunchtime and do the feed then. Thanks again
bigal Posted - 26/10/2010 : 09:24:54
Must admit I have heard (via a third party) of a Snake having to visit the vet after the owner fed food left to defrost overnight.
gingerpony Posted - 26/10/2010 : 09:12:04
yeah, in 12 hours it'll have defrosted and started to go off......

heating it immediately before feeding will get a better response from your snake, the plastic bag in warm water method is good for pinkies, we use a hair drier to heat everything we feed (from mouse pinkies to rabbits)
lotabob Posted - 26/10/2010 : 01:40:48
12 hours is about 11 hours longer than needed to defrost a pinkie. I give it an hour and a half (extra half to be absolutley certain its room temp right through) then, just to be sure I hold it in my hand for a minute or two, this not only warms it up but you'll feel if its still frozen which unlss your house is freezing it wont be. Once defrosted all meat starts to deteriorate, I would have issues about eating any food if it had been sat at room temp for 11 hours, so I wouldnt expect my animals to do the same. Best bet is feed it to them while still as fresh as it can be.
wagner1966 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:53:37
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Plenty of different ways to go. Think I'll take them out in the morning and give them 12 hours. Like the idea of warming them up slightly before feeding time - never thought of that.
kdlang Posted - 25/10/2010 : 12:51:01
My pinkies only usually take about half an hour to defrost. Then i put it in a sandiwch bag in warm water to warm a little before feeding.
elament Posted - 25/10/2010 : 12:28:02
i leave mine on top of the viv in a margarine tub for a couple of hours then give them 2 or 3 mins in a plastic bag in hot water. Seems to work fine

Mort13 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 11:05:08
Lokis pinkies go in a freezer bag and then into a mug of warm water. I give them a squeeze after 10 mins or so to see how warm/soft they are and then put some more warm water in the mug as in this weather its usually gone cold in that time.
I usually give them 25 mins or so just to be sure. Make sure the waters not too hot as you could end up cooking them.

Good luck with it,its amazing to watch
chrish Posted - 25/10/2010 : 11:01:37
Good luck with the first feed!
ryanred5 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 10:41:06
We took a hopper out to defrost and then put it in warm water to heat up and the damn thing fell apart grrr. So we are going back to putting it in hot water.

Definitely put it in hot water but not boiling to defrost and heat up.
herriotfan Posted - 25/10/2010 : 09:49:35
Good luck with the first feed.
bigal Posted - 25/10/2010 : 09:20:04
Put mine in a bag in warm water for 10-15 minutes works fine
gingerpony Posted - 25/10/2010 : 09:08:29
24hrs will defrost a rabbit for my boas an hour or so is all it'll take for a pinkie
HannahB Posted - 25/10/2010 : 08:13:52
yeah thats fine - i put my mice in a sandwich bag and leave on top of a viv for 12hours and then blast them with a hairdryer to warm them up a bit and make them more appetising

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000