The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating pad.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 18/10/2010 : 23:19:16
Ok, I have a heating pad for my viv (forgot what kind, zoomed or exo) it has one side where you can peel off and stick it to the glass which I did not do so I can move it as I like. But right now I have it taped to the side of the tank (zoomed double door with screen top) it don't seem to be putting out enough heat though. I put it under the tank as well but after awhile I will put my hand on the inside of the tank on the glass and its really hot, almost wanting to shake my hand hot. The zoomed cage does prop up some for airflow as well. What can I do with my heat pad for right now?

To who ever says throw it away and get a new one, I plan on it soon but what can I do with this one in the meantime? I thought about wrapping a layer of tinfoil around it. Lol
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 22/10/2010 : 17:23:30
Oh wow the Drama on here is even better than a game forum <3 let's all spam and flame one another <3

And to actually your question, yes put it over the heatmat like Danny said. It weighs the heat mat down, making better contact between the surfaces so the heatmat work good. Although I'm not sure if you have a glass tank or not? Well I know you do but I don't know if your meaning you plastic or glass one if that makes any sense.

If you haven't got a digital thermometer, try ebay or something. The aquarium ones work a treat!
n/a Posted - 22/10/2010 : 15:36:16
DECADENCE...
I read this entire thread and I'm not sure what you finally decided to do with your UTH. If you really don't want to attach it to the tank (because you might want to move it later?), you can always attach it to an appropriately sized piece of glass (with safe edges, of course) or Plexiglas. That way, you can move it around where ever you want. Just be sure to allow a bit of a gap under your tank so the UTH doesn't overheat.
gingerpony Posted - 22/10/2010 : 09:10:44
Tiff, i don't have a problem with anything you've said either hun

i think decadence's posts are almost trolling...........
ryanred5 Posted - 21/10/2010 : 17:30:09
Tiff I think both our posts were taken the wrong way although they weren't intended to.

I've been on the end of nasty posts on a few other forums I go on and it isn't nice at all, hence why I don't post like that and tbh Tiffs posts weren't offensive either but with the written word different people can take them the wrong way.
Tiffany-x Posted - 21/10/2010 : 16:20:40
Ok hold on, so I get a whole heap of glittery mud from you guys for saying nothing but someone else says something more than I did and that was ok? I dont think so some how.
gingerpony Posted - 21/10/2010 : 15:37:22
ryanred i actually thought it was a very good suggestion and tactfully put too
ryanred5 Posted - 21/10/2010 : 15:02:58
quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

I agree with Tiffany, you have 7 Corns in one viv which is way too many.

You'd be be better taking them back to where you got them from and ask them to keep them for you whilst you sort all their housing out.

I've just read whats been said on this thread and it got a bit out of hand.

My comments weren't meant to come across as offensive and I'm sorry if you took offence from reading them. I just meant that you should ask the pet store to mind your snakes whilst you built other vivs.

Again I'm sorry to have caused offence.
gingerpony Posted - 21/10/2010 : 10:17:47
very good point DB, there should be at least the same number of hides in each end as there are snakes in the viv ie. 3 snakes should have 3 warm hides and 3 cool hides.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 21/10/2010 : 09:32:17
I would have more than one hide over the heatmat, because you have more than one snake. It will give them other places to go and may help with them competing for space.
a33272 Posted - 21/10/2010 : 08:39:52
quote:
Originally posted by Decadence

ok, i have bought a stat today for my heat mat, i have put a light lair of aspen bedding over the heat mat so i don't block the heat coming from it, now i have a question about a hide...should i put one hide over the heat pad or no?

im guessing u have moved the heatmat to the underside of your glass tank now??
most people have 2 hides one in hot and one in cold end i do and both get used, where do u have the probs for the thermostat and didgital temp gauge??
gingerpony Posted - 21/10/2010 : 07:37:49
quote:
Originally posted by Decadence

Well the hygrometer will control humidity and heat

a hygrometer will do no such thing i'm afraid, it will MEASURE humidity and not control anything at all.
lotabob Posted - 21/10/2010 : 01:03:53
I'm a newbie when it comes to snakes but I think going back a few steps the point to be VERY clear about is any heat source not regulated by a stat is dangerous be it a mat, bulb or both.

The 'how many' debate is personal preference, I would only keep 1 or 2 to a suitably sized enclosure (my preference only and I only have 1) but the reptile shop that I visit has loads together and they are happy adults. So as long as the snake isn't stressed by its environment then all is well.

Sticking to the facts and leaving preference out would be more helpful to new people like me who for the most part has found this site very helpful but even here contradictions do crop up, suppose thats the beauty of such a versatile and lovely snake.

So stop your bickering we are all here because we love our snakes.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 21/10/2010 : 01:00:07
yeah put 1 or even a couple over the heat mat - it will give the snakies some were warm to hide :)
n/a Posted - 21/10/2010 : 00:52:39
ok, i have bought a stat today for my heat mat, i have put a light lair of aspen bedding over the heat mat so i don't block the heat coming from it, now i have a question about a hide...should i put one hide over the heat pad or no?
Katie.Dublin Posted - 21/10/2010 : 00:23:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Bandwagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY ONE!!11!

haha the forum is rather amusing tonight! People hopping on their high horse all over the place!
a33272 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 23:48:36
wow why havnt i seen this thread yet, what have i missed whats been deleted so far lol

ok so are all the teddies back in there prams now so we can get back on track with this one
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/10/2010 : 22:56:12
Bandwagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY ONE!!11!

Anyone else wanna join in and start giving grief/input on something they've seemingly ignored??
If so, feel free to email me, Kehhlyr [AT] weneedcake.co.uk and I shall happily set you straight on how I feel about these things somewhere that's totally unrelated and not linked to the forum at all.
Then feel free to come back and post.
Tiffany-x Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:39:04
Yeah I am sorry if it came across the wrong way but it wasnt supposed to, you must just remember that it can cause great harm in your snakes, esp being so young.
Tiffany-x
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:26:25
Decadence makes a good point and although you (Tiffany) may not have thought there was nothing wrong with what you said, its the way it was typed which may cause offence. You have to remember that when typing you can't emphasise things, if not typed in a certain way it is very easily taken the wrong way.

Editted to add, Decadence im sorry that you feel the way you feel but people are just trying to show their concerns for your snakes health and safety, but sometimes wires are crossed and some of the comments can seem quite harsh. Especially on such a discussed and frowned upon topic.
n/a Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:19:32
It's not what it is because of people like you (no offense) You have your opinion about housing and other things and because somebody isn't doing what you do, you get defensive and try to set them straight rather then helping them out....i actually think this website is great for people to come to for advise but they can do without that kind of input...help people...don't put them down.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000