The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Setting up my first vivarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigJME Posted - 11/10/2010 : 20:03:13
Hey guys so im new here so like to say hi :) so my dads had a set up for 2 royal pythons years ago but i decided i wanted to get my self a corn snake as starters but i want to get a baby as they will live longer and you get longer to know their temperament i should imagine. So im setting up the vivarium and have priced it up but i am not sure on what to do, i don't wish to buy a small vivarium and then have to up the size as i will need to up the size later on so i would like to ask for some help and suggestions on the product, again just an addition to the vivarium size, i am only 17 and don't have a massive amount of money so i would like a large enough size to keep the corn snake for a while :)

I have been looking at the following 2 vivarium set-ups and even crossing items between them;

http://www.reptilecentre.com/files_corn_snake_set_up_adult
http://www.reptilecentre.com/files_corn_snake_set_up_baby

I am unsure on if buying the large vivarium set-up would effect the corn snake atall? i have read that having a large vivarium and hide outs can effect the snake in different ways but it doesn't specify what sizes can effect it. So could anyone help me with my set up?

i know the temperature for the set-up etc. but im not sure as i know i will need a water bowl if i buy the large set-up and another cave/bed in the cool side for the snake to hide in, any help would be greatly appreciated as i wish to buy the products off that website as that is where i will be buying my food from,

Regards,
Jamie
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigJME Posted - 15/12/2010 : 22:33:54
just running away, but ive noticed its generally the day before feeding as i feed him every Wednesday so i think it may be due to that
lotabob Posted - 15/12/2010 : 22:05:59
Good to hear he's eating well. Its nothing unusual to be a bit shy at 5 weeks in, when you say off with you, is it a running away response or is it 'S'ing up, tail rattling, striking response?
bigJME Posted - 15/12/2010 : 21:24:22
had my snake 5 weeks now :) fed him 4 times and hhe feeds great every time, he can be abit off with me at times when i try and hold him as he has days where he just doesnt want to be held, put a load more stuff in my viv now so my snake is much better and comes out more now, he still doesnt like to be out much when people are around but i take it he is still getting use to the viv :) he loves the size of it as he absolutely hates to go into the rub even whilst being fed
bigJME Posted - 17/11/2010 : 23:20:37
its d.o.b is 29/5/2010 so its just under 6months, i think it must be huge, they better not be messing me about, they had some others the same age and size aswell, and some 2 months that must have been just under a foot long, its in the faun and covers both short sides, the long side and abit more when its stretched out lol
Sta~ple Posted - 17/11/2010 : 23:17:43
2ft at 6 months? That is either huge or it is older o.o;
bigJME Posted - 17/11/2010 : 22:54:09
pic of my snake, isnt great quality and is pretty dark but ooo well

bigJME Posted - 17/11/2010 : 22:00:50
got my snake :) its a 6 month old Amelanistic corn snake, no clue on gender, the pet shop didnt say and didnt really care, will post some pics later on, seems very happy in the faun its in atm just to get it use to the environment, its just over 2ft long so should be fine for the viv as its already had a wonder round for abit, its sleeping right now in its faun inside the viv and it doesnt seem shy atall, wasnt very keen on holding it in the store though as the seller didnt really help me learn how to hold it properly or even able to tell me when it last shed, it feeds once a week so im leaving it for this first week and will feed it next week, the pet store where useless and had no clue, the bloke last time was the keeper and had his own and helped loads and told me my set up was fine, this one didnt know anything and said i should keep it in the faun for 2 months just for it to get to know the environment!
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 16:42:33
it never gets up to the 70C, when its running full temp i can put my hand directly on the heater, it probably gets to a max of 40C but my local pet store use the same but 500W so it kicks off alot more heat and they just lie and go all over the heater, even with the temp set higher then mine
lotabob Posted - 16/11/2010 : 16:21:18
That would worry me its cut out temp is 70 degrees C
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 15:25:42
yeh, and i know my local pet store have the same heaters as i have and the snakes love it, lie all over it and everything :)
Sta~ple Posted - 16/11/2010 : 14:37:29
The heater does look rather fancy though :p I can picture snakey climbing on it a lot.
I love the fish decor in P@H I just get put off that snakey will probably outgrow it in a year :(

The Duhelm mill plants are wicked though. They can take the weight of my adult fat snake climbing on them and haven't broken! Unlike some other expensive reptile brand plants :( I'd just plop cardboard boxes, roll rolls and stuff to make snakey feel secure, you shouldn't spend any more than you need to if your getting a baby.
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 09:55:24
thanx for the advice :) think i will get one of the skulls and some of those plants then :)

was this the skull you meant? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/life-like-human-skull-aquarium-ornament-by-blue-ribbon-25728
Mort13 Posted - 16/11/2010 : 08:15:32
This is the ivy,theres 2 types,I wasn't far off with the price
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/artificial-holland-ivy-garland-51529
Aside from the floor standing plant all the others in my snakes viv were from there. Got too much actually but they come in handy when I put them in full size vivs

Lokis side of the viv

Falcors side of the viv
Mort13 Posted - 16/11/2010 : 08:02:39
Good work with the shower seal,you'll be glad you've got it as when you get your snake and watch it trying to find escape routes you won't be on pins. Looks good too.
If you have a Dunelm near you they have loads of silk and plastic plants that are nice and cheap. They have a long ivy garland thats wired ,looks fab wound round a vine. Only something like £3.50.
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 02:18:25
ive got snake, cabinet, plants, light, more decoration etc. so mine will be probably just abit over 300
lotabob Posted - 16/11/2010 : 02:12:25
Yeah its not cheap, I think I've spent about 300 I have one more bit to buy (viv cabinet) then I'm done on this setup. Start saving for the next setup.
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:51:25
i was looking at a cave but decided to go for a hide out first as i need to get abit more money, spent probably £180 so far, then got to get to spent another £50 minimum wednesday, running out of cash abit :) will get a load more in January or something like that
lotabob Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:27:50
I like them because Spot loves climbing them and you can barely see the wires for 2 thermometer probes and a hygrometer running from the top left the other thermometer probe and both stat probes run in at ground level. Decorating the viv is great fun, I've just bought another hide for Spot a snake cave thing, should be getting delivered tomorrow though he is in blue at the moment so he/I will have to wait.
bigJME Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:17:29
i will definetly be looking for some of those, i think i paid someting like £2.67 for the plant in my viv at the moment
lotabob Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:14:16
An inexpensive alternative to the quite expensive reptile plants are silk leaf branches from florists, your reptile shop might even sell them too (mine does) they look all right too, this is my viv

I'm not using the light at the moment though, Spot seems to prefer the heat mat on its own. I have 6 branches in there I think at £1.50 each, and they are wired so they can be bent to fit and strong enough for a climber like Spot.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000