The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake proof lid suggestions , please - Aquarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ZicoZ Posted - 01/10/2010 : 23:18:04
Help , I have a 4' long by 1' wide aquarium with a standard lid .

I plan to convert it into two snake tanks . The problem is I am pretty sure that the current lid which cost a fortune is NOT Corn Snake proof . There are a loads of small gaps and it is rather light so a decent size Corn snake would probably be able to lift it enough to squeeze out.

Are there any grips or clamps on the market or any other suggestions for a snake proof lid ??

PS
Currently full of tropical fish , Silver dollars , Australian rainbows , Malayan Angels, Compriseps , breeding pair Albino Bristlenose Plecs, beautiful brown knifefish and some home bred Geophagus youngsters - all available !!!

Gtr Manchester area.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 03/10/2010 : 12:00:15
And I haven't forgotten this thread either, shall get into the loft a bit later on.
ryanred5 Posted - 03/10/2010 : 00:59:28
quote:
Originally posted by ZicoZ

PS
Currently full of tropical fish , Silver dollars , Australian rainbows , Malayan Angels, Compriseps , breeding pair Albino Bristlenose Plecs, beautiful brown knifefish and some home bred Geophagus youngsters - all available !!!

Gtr Manchester area.

Hi

I know this might seem odd asking you this but would you be interested in buying a corner tank to put your fish in, so you can have a snake and a fish tank that doesn't take up as much room as a 4ft tank?

Whats even better I live just outside Manchester.

If your interested, let me know.
meesh505 Posted - 02/10/2010 : 23:05:48
Not sure if im alowed to put this on her but will try gulp lol

http://www.bitsforpets.com/mesh-covered-vivarium-lid-36x12-p-3726.html
ZicoZ Posted - 02/10/2010 : 22:32:12
quote:
Originally posted by meesh505

Hi, I had a similar issue, I have just finished my new setup with an old aquarium too!
I bought a mesh viv lid for my tank size, cut and filed the thin aluminium to get the cables in and bought 2 self adhesive child door locks online so it cant be pushed up, has worked a treat!
Even if its just a standard aquarium hood then the locks I bought would most likely fit to secure the hood on and if it has a lifting panel hatch there are also strap type clips for cupboard/fridge doors that are flexable and should work for the panel hatch door!
I have pics of the locks i used and can send a link to them if you like!

Thanks , where did you get your mesh lid from ??
meesh505 Posted - 02/10/2010 : 19:04:46
Hi, I had a similar issue, I have just finished my new setup with an old aquarium too!
I bought a mesh viv lid for my tank size, cut and filed the thin aluminium to get the cables in and bought 2 self adhesive child door locks online so it cant be pushed up, has worked a treat!
Even if its just a standard aquarium hood then the locks I bought would most likely fit to secure the hood on and if it has a lifting panel hatch there are also strap type clips for cupboard/fridge doors that are flexable and should work for the panel hatch door!
I have pics of the locks i used and can send a link to them if you like!
ZicoZ Posted - 02/10/2010 : 15:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

One of my tanks (that I put in the loft about 3 hours ago) was a 4x1ft fishy tank that I used for snakes.
At about the 2ft mark along the tank where the lid went was a section of toughened glass (for support I'm assuming) I used that to help make a partition.
I shall take some pics tomoz to show you what I done to secure it, granted it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it, but it worked.
I may have some piccys somewhere that you'll be able to see anyway, shall go search.

Thanks
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/10/2010 : 01:56:51
One of my tanks (that I put in the loft about 3 hours ago) was a 4x1ft fishy tank that I used for snakes.
At about the 2ft mark along the tank where the lid went was a section of toughened glass (for support I'm assuming) I used that to help make a partition.
I shall take some pics tomoz to show you what I done to secure it, granted it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it, but it worked.
I may have some piccys somewhere that you'll be able to see anyway, shall go search.
tehbunneh Posted - 01/10/2010 : 23:43:18
My aquarium is not being used for my corn, however, when I was given it, I found in the lid a large sheet of hefty glass that had some wedges taken out to allow the wires though. I think it is quite easy to get a hold of some sheet glass like that from somewhere like a local hardware, or even Homebase or Jessops, but it was very heavy, and was clearly a home DIY job. The previous owner had used some aquarium sealant to make a 1inch lip around the inside of the take, about an inch down from the lid, with some cut glass/acrylic, not sure specifically, though it does look like glass. They then used the sheet of glass, a couple of millimeters less on all sides then the actual size of the tank to make a lid within the tank, mostly, I think, to stop the water splashing onto the light and causing algae growth.

Now, I'm not sure myself if this will be completely corn snake proof, it is just something I personally have seen! I'm not sure whether aquariums are at all recommended. Perhaps you may be able to talk to a customisable place (our local reptile shop makes vivariums themselves!) and see if they could do you a mesh lid with hinge, or some sort of wooden structure to go on top?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000