New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ZicoZ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  23:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help , I have a 4' long by 1' wide aquarium with a standard lid .

I plan to convert it into two snake tanks . The problem is I am pretty sure that the current lid which cost a fortune is NOT Corn Snake proof . There are a loads of small gaps and it is rather light so a decent size Corn snake would probably be able to lift it enough to squeeze out.

Are there any grips or clamps on the market or any other suggestions for a snake proof lid ??

PS
Currently full of tropical fish , Silver dollars , Australian rainbows , Malayan Angels, Compriseps , breeding pair Albino Bristlenose Plecs, beautiful brown knifefish and some home bred Geophagus youngsters - all available !!!

Gtr Manchester area.

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  23:43:18  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My aquarium is not being used for my corn, however, when I was given it, I found in the lid a large sheet of hefty glass that had some wedges taken out to allow the wires though. I think it is quite easy to get a hold of some sheet glass like that from somewhere like a local hardware, or even Homebase or Jessops, but it was very heavy, and was clearly a home DIY job. The previous owner had used some aquarium sealant to make a 1inch lip around the inside of the take, about an inch down from the lid, with some cut glass/acrylic, not sure specifically, though it does look like glass. They then used the sheet of glass, a couple of millimeters less on all sides then the actual size of the tank to make a lid within the tank, mostly, I think, to stop the water splashing onto the light and causing algae growth.

Now, I'm not sure myself if this will be completely corn snake proof, it is just something I personally have seen! I'm not sure whether aquariums are at all recommended. Perhaps you may be able to talk to a customisable place (our local reptile shop makes vivariums themselves!) and see if they could do you a mesh lid with hinge, or some sort of wooden structure to go on top?

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  01:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of my tanks (that I put in the loft about 3 hours ago) was a 4x1ft fishy tank that I used for snakes.
At about the 2ft mark along the tank where the lid went was a section of toughened glass (for support I'm assuming) I used that to help make a partition.
I shall take some pics tomoz to show you what I done to secure it, granted it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it, but it worked.
I may have some piccys somewhere that you'll be able to see anyway, shall go search.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ZicoZ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

One of my tanks (that I put in the loft about 3 hours ago) was a 4x1ft fishy tank that I used for snakes.
At about the 2ft mark along the tank where the lid went was a section of toughened glass (for support I'm assuming) I used that to help make a partition.
I shall take some pics tomoz to show you what I done to secure it, granted it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it, but it worked.
I may have some piccys somewhere that you'll be able to see anyway, shall go search.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I had a similar issue, I have just finished my new setup with an old aquarium too!
I bought a mesh viv lid for my tank size, cut and filed the thin aluminium to get the cables in and bought 2 self adhesive child door locks online so it cant be pushed up, has worked a treat!
Even if its just a standard aquarium hood then the locks I bought would most likely fit to secure the hood on and if it has a lifting panel hatch there are also strap type clips for cupboard/fridge doors that are flexable and should work for the panel hatch door!
I have pics of the locks i used and can send a link to them if you like!

Go to Top of Page

ZicoZ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  22:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meesh505

Hi, I had a similar issue, I have just finished my new setup with an old aquarium too!
I bought a mesh viv lid for my tank size, cut and filed the thin aluminium to get the cables in and bought 2 self adhesive child door locks online so it cant be pushed up, has worked a treat!
Even if its just a standard aquarium hood then the locks I bought would most likely fit to secure the hood on and if it has a lifting panel hatch there are also strap type clips for cupboard/fridge doors that are flexable and should work for the panel hatch door!
I have pics of the locks i used and can send a link to them if you like!

Thanks , where did you get your mesh lid from ??
Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  23:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if im alowed to put this on her but will try gulp lol

http://www.bitsforpets.com/mesh-covered-vivarium-lid-36x12-p-3726.html

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  00:59:28  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZicoZ

PS
Currently full of tropical fish , Silver dollars , Australian rainbows , Malayan Angels, Compriseps , breeding pair Albino Bristlenose Plecs, beautiful brown knifefish and some home bred Geophagus youngsters - all available !!!

Gtr Manchester area.

Hi

I know this might seem odd asking you this but would you be interested in buying a corner tank to put your fish in, so you can have a snake and a fish tank that doesn't take up as much room as a 4ft tank?

Whats even better I live just outside Manchester.

If your interested, let me know.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And I haven't forgotten this thread either, shall get into the loft a bit later on.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000