The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 measuring a snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
clintham Posted - 30/09/2010 : 16:55:01
i have done alot of reading/research about my snake - but today i came accross something new & very useful so i thought i would share it. great if you want to keep records of your husbandry and far easier than the string method of measuring!
some people may be aware of this program, some may not but i think its brilliant (plus its free!). im a bit of a geek and i always look for ways my pc can make anything easier for me lol
download from here: http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html

How to use Snake Measurer:
# 1- Take an overhead picture of a snake
# 2- Be sure to include something of a known size
# 3- Be sure the snake is on a flat surface and your picture is from as square an angle as possible
# 4- Run the program and open a picture
# 5- Select 'Set Length Unit' in menu
# 6- Click on two points in the picture to set your measurement standard
# 6- Type in the known distance between the selected points (e.g. if you are using a 12-inch ruler, type in 12)
# 7- Select 'Begin Measuring' in menu
# 8- Starting at one end of the snake, click on points along its spine until you reach the other end
# 9- To go backwards (erase a dot along the line) press backspace or select 'Go Back' in the menu
# 10- When you are done, you have a total length measurement in the units you provided.

For best results:
# 1-the snake should be on a flat surface, and should be laying flat (not climbing...)
# 2-The item used for the measurement standard (ruler, etc.) should be as close to the same distance from the camera as possible. Sitting the snake on a table and having it crawl over a piece of graph paper, a chessboard, or anything else that is easily measurable is best. Coins and other round items are not recommended because it is difficult to get a good straight line perfectly across the center of them in the program.
# 3-The larger the item used for measurement, the better. If you have an item that is 1 inch long, and your snake is 50 inches long, and your measurement of the item is off by 1/16th of an inch, you are going to multiply that error by over 3 inches.
# 3-The picture should be taken from directly overhead to keep the perspective from distorting the measurement. For example, if you took the picture at an angle and your ruler is in the back of the picture, the ruler will appear smaller than the snake from there, so the snake will measure out as larger than it is.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sullysteve Posted - 04/10/2010 : 12:10:31
i found that if you tap firmly on the snakes head, just enough to knock it out, then you will have just enough time to line it up and measure up!!

.......i am obviously joking!
elament Posted - 04/10/2010 : 10:32:13
downloaded that yesterday and it does the job

cheers

steve
drchino Posted - 04/10/2010 : 10:20:12
Nice program! I'll give that a go this week!!
Taz Devil Posted - 01/10/2010 : 10:48:16
I use a length of string. Get sid on the floor, hold her head and lay the string across her head then hold it in plase as I slide my hand down her body along with the string. Grip it at certain points and then hold it at the end to mark where to measure to.
clintham Posted - 01/10/2010 : 10:02:47
lol that does look like more fun!
Kellog Posted - 01/10/2010 : 03:51:31
Its probably more accurate than my suggestions made in How to - Measure your snake ....but my suggestion was more fun !

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/09/2010 : 18:49:38
Measuring the shed isn't an accurate guage for the length though as it stretches when it comes off, deducting about 10% of the length will give you a closer measurement but still only a rough guess.

I've used the snake measurer program in the past and although not completely accurate either, it's theone that gives the closest results, usually only an inch (maybe 2) out, as it all depends on the resolution of the photo as well.
Sika Posted - 30/09/2010 : 17:16:15
Cool, I usually just measures the shed - though nice program!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000