The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mats in wood vivs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joetheimpaler Posted - 15/07/2010 : 21:06:04
just wondering, how would you get a heat mat in a wooden viv because the mains wire would have nowhere to go. i was thinking about drilling a hole but the plug wouldnt fit through the hole. and one more thing, you cant put a heat mat on the outside of a wooden viv and on the inside wont the snake get burned? please reply
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tinamiles Posted - 22/07/2010 : 20:37:30
quote:

Tape is definitely a no no Tina. I dont have my probes attached, just weighed down with rocks....but I think other forum users have used aquarium sealant to attach the probes to the heatmat. I just dont like the idea of it being a permanent attachment....but that is a personal opinion.

Your 2nd question has confused me a bit about cranking up the temp 6 degrees to get the right temp in the viv with the heatmat underneath the wooden base???

With a wooden viv you put the heatmat in the viv, not under it like you do with glass or plastic fauns. This means that you should have the temp on the stat almost in the right place (around 28/29oC) to get the right heat coming from the heatmat....although this must be monitored by the digital thermometer and you may need to tweak the stat slightly to get the temp that you want.

xxx

Kellog, sorry i confused you. i thought you put the heat matt inside a wooden viv, ive just been told by someone that you can also put them underneath like with a glass one!
Think im gonna put the heatmatt inside+hold the probes down with a heavy hide!!
thanks
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 16:22:29
quote:
Originally posted by CSJ

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
This is something I learnt not so long ago, its called thermal blocking.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.
That is why you don't use heatmats with big snakes.
Corns are fine, they don't have the weight big snakes do.

Hi Mike. If you don't use heatmats for large snakes, what would you use?

Heat bulbs.
CSJ Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:46:57
quote:

With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.

Hi Mike. If you don't use heatmats for large snakes, what would you use?

joetheimpaler: I have mine set up as Kellog has described with one exception. I used the bag the mat came in to cover it - folding the edges over and taping them down for a snug fit. I read that on another forum and am trialing it at the moment. Both my stat and thermometer have alarms so I don't need to worry too much about over-heating. I've also covered the part where the electrics contact the mat with aquarium sealant for extra waterproofing.
Kellog Posted - 22/07/2010 : 05:24:13
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Thanks for that Mike I have always wondered about covering heatmats as I assumed surely they would have to work a lot harder to get the heat passage through the vinyl........

I havent found this an issue at all Elament, my stat is set just below 30oC and the digital temp reading above the vinyl is usually just above or below 28oC....so not much difference.

quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

........Anyone recommend a safe way to attatch the probes to the heat matt, as im aware that tape is a no no!

Also, ive been told that if you crank up the temp about 6degrees, then the temp inside the viv will be correct with the heat matt underneath the wooden base - am i right in doubting this?? anyone do this?

Tape is definitely a no no Tina. I dont have my probes attached, just weighed down with rocks....but I think other forum users have used aquarium sealant to attach the probes to the heatmat. I just dont like the idea of it being a permanent attachment....but that is a personal opinion.

Your 2nd question has confused me a bit about cranking up the temp 6 degrees to get the right temp in the viv with the heatmat underneath the wooden base???

With a wooden viv you put the heatmat in the viv, not under it like you do with glass or plastic fauns. This means that you should have the temp on the stat almost in the right place (around 28/29oC) to get the right heat coming from the heatmat....although this must be monitored by the digital thermometer and you may need to tweak the stat slightly to get the temp that you want.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 19/07/2010 : 16:34:37
quote:

It didnt buurn anything because it was a controlled test, not an accident!
It just shows what even small heatmats are capable of!

Prrf your supposed to tell everyone heat mats are dangerous and will burn down their house :p

You can silicon the probes down or super glue them. My thermometer and probe are banded together and my thermometer has a suction cup so I stick the cup onto the mat and weight it all down with some stones.
tinamiles Posted - 19/07/2010 : 14:54:30
this thread has been very useful to me, as im putting my corn into his bigger wooden viv in a few months+have been wondering about heat matt positioning! My thinking is that aslong as ive got a digital thermometer probe+the thermostat probe on the black parts of the heat matt, then it shouldnt get above temp. Anyone recommend a safe way to attatch the probes to the heat matt, as im aware that tape is a no no!
Also, ive been told that if you crank up the temp about 6degrees, then the temp inside the viv will be correct with the heat matt underneath the wooden base - am i right in doubting this?? anyone do this?
mikerichards Posted - 19/07/2010 : 11:31:58
It didnt buurn anything because it was a controlled test, not an accident!
It just shows what even small heatmats are capable of!
Fal Posted - 19/07/2010 : 09:54:54
lol yeah wouldn't be too impresses with a viv sized square out from under the dining room table haha..
Sta~ple Posted - 18/07/2010 : 21:08:25
quote:

omg how did that not burnt down the viv/RUB?
n/a Posted - 18/07/2010 : 20:54:51
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

ooooooh I have some wood effect vinyl off cuts from the dining room :D I'll be doing that! Thanks guys lol.. like you said, it'll be so much better than our snakes poopin on the mat itself lol

HA HA HA ,I hope they are off cuts,the other half will be well p****** off when they see a square hole in the lino floor.....
elament Posted - 18/07/2010 : 11:22:39
Thanks for that Mike I have always wondered about covering heatmats as I assumed surely they would have to work a lot harder to get the heat passage through the vinyl. Incidently to add to the heatmat debate I once spoke to the bloke at eurorep and he told me the heatmats are wee and poo proof as they are laminated (encapsulated in plastic) that the only bit you have to worry about is the connecting block that is apparently silicone sealed but no so waterproof that you could immerse it in water which you could do with the element part as it is laminated.
mikerichards Posted - 18/07/2010 : 08:40:56
Sta~ple Posted - 17/07/2010 : 15:25:53
I just put my substrate ontop of the heatmat. Venom did manage to poo on the heatmat, that black boxy bit but it was fine. I think you have to be more careful with royals and other bigger bodied snakes with heatmats though as it says larger snakes can flood them. I did think about sealing it down or putting vinyl over it but if I ever need to take the mat out because it broke or something, it would be harder to do so. Plus I have no idea how you would seal around the cable outlet!
Fal Posted - 17/07/2010 : 12:17:39
ooooooh I have some wood effect vinyl off cuts from the dining room :D I'll be doing that! Thanks guys lol.. like you said, it'll be so much better than our snakes poopin on the mat itself lol
Kellog Posted - 16/07/2010 : 20:16:04
quote:
Originally posted by kev

kellog what sort vinyl

Are there different sorts of vinyl ? Just some offcuts my OH had, the normal stuff....

I havent done as Nazzle has and sealed the probes onto the vinyl cos I like to be able to move things round to clean up properly....but it is all personal choice.

xxx
Nazzle Posted - 16/07/2010 : 19:45:46
I use vinyl too, but it covers the whole viv floor so it's easier to seal properly. Like Kellog it's for the protection of the mat rather than the snake, mainly to keep it dry. My probes are aquarium sealed down onto the vinyl above the warmest part of the heat mat (with another thermometer probe in the cool end). Just normal vinyl from B and Q or carpet stores. Free if you get the end of a roll, and also a very nice wood effect!
n/a Posted - 16/07/2010 : 19:21:39
kellog what sort vinyl
Kellog Posted - 16/07/2010 : 12:41:26
Think your question has really been answered Joe, but I will just describe the set up of my 2 wooden vivs. The heatmats are on the inside, covering 1/3 of the area of the base. There is a hole drilled in the back of the vivs just big enough to fit through the cable for the heatmat and the probe for the stat.

I am one of those who does cover their heatmats with vinyl....OH's idea, just as more protection for the heatmat, not the snake. Stops it getting dirty if they poo on it and protects it if water is spilled. Probe for the stat is then laid horizontally on top of the vinyl over the heatmat, along with the probe for the digital thermometer. I have a small covering of substrate over the vinyl and the probes are weighed down with heavy rocks so that the snakes cannot move them.

As long as your heatmat has a thermostat controlling it then it should never get to a heat to burn your snake....but it is also vital to have a digital thermometer monitoring the temperature in the viv. Silvesta managed to move the probe so it was pointing skyward, if I hadnt seen on the thermometer that the temperature was climbing about 30oC I would not have noticed and he could have been burnt.

Hope that is of some help.

xxx
elament Posted - 16/07/2010 : 12:04:40
mine is just as it is no vinyl tile and I never had any problems although in both vivs the mat is pinned down with heavy hides on top.

Editted to add: In both vivs the residents have moved the aspen so they are laying directly on the mat. They seem to like it that way so I have left it like that
Fal Posted - 16/07/2010 : 11:58:38
Like is said above, as long as the thermostat probe goes on the mat and is set to cut off if the temp rises above 29/30c then it should be fine. Some people put something on top like vinyl tile or something, others don't. Who here does that just out of interest, or does everyone have the aspen (other substrates) straight on top of the mat?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000