The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling your snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 13:37:19
Hi people!

I was just wondering.....is it ok to get your snake out from under their hides? Its just Sabre is hardly ever out so I'll never get to handle her.

I haven't done so yet, and I guess that maybe you shouldn't as they are there to hide and dont want to be bothered? But I thought I would check.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 16/07/2010 : 12:59:39
If I only handled my corns when they came out of their hides then they would never be handled !!

You must remember it is early days yet with Sabre, so you need to take it slowly and gently. When I go to handle mine I go in slowly, and fiddle with the substrate a bit, warning them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised. I also think that doing it I am getting their scent on my hands, which must help in keeping them calm.

Checkout this thread for some tips on handling - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9824

xxx
eeji Posted - 15/07/2010 : 18:42:41
.and sometimes they are grumpier when disturbed from the hide - you can't win! :D
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/07/2010 : 15:15:29
Yeh hes probably still settling in, thats why he is hiding away so much, he will come out on his own eventually, but getting him out for handling won't do him any harm, just help him to get used to you and get used to being handled.

If anything i find sometimes its easier to get them out when they're hiding.
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 14:12:40
Danny, that’s a good point! It’s only been a week, it feels longer though.

On second thoughts I think I'll just be a bit more patient. I'm sure she'll come out more in the future.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/07/2010 : 14:04:27
How long have you had your snake?
headlow Posted - 15/07/2010 : 13:59:39
It's ok to do so, but just remember to respect the snake. He/she sometimes may well come out without a problem, but there will be times when they'll want to be left alone. Given time you'll get to know their body language and know when to leave them to be.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000