The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Wood for custom viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PureLoneWolf Posted - 16/05/2011 : 17:32:31
Hi all

The father in-law has offered to custom make a viv for Hongy that will fit exactly where we want in our apartment. This brought up the question of wood treatment.

We will be using some very strong untreated wood that he has leftover from a kitchen build. To make sure we can keep it hygienic for Hongy, we need to coat it with something.

Would a varnish be ok? Or what would you suggest?
Thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PureLoneWolf Posted - 19/05/2011 : 09:17:45
That G4 sounds perfect...now I just need to find out if it is available in Frankfurt, and my German is terrible.
ptmbradley Posted - 19/05/2011 : 04:43:33
... while looking for that post I happened across something else that's varnish-like, animal safe and waterproof. G4 pond sealant. Primarily used for sealing concrete ponds but is apparently suitable for any porous surface. 3 coats and you're good to go.

Some blurb about their product...

G4 For Wood Sealing
G4 is very effective for sealing (varnishing) wood. G4 can be applied in conditions unacceptable to other varnishes, at low temperatures and high humidity. However, G4 is affected by UV light which will yellow it although in general terms will perform better than most varnishes.

And you can get a 'grass green' colour which would make my BRB's rainforest-like viv look better.

Right, 5am and light outside now so I really should get to bed!!! lol
ptmbradley Posted - 19/05/2011 : 04:29:33
lol

well I had a look for the post and it was indeed Eeji. It was on that forum that is referred to here as the dark side I believe. It was in a thread about waterproofing a viv for a chameleon but I presume it holds for snakes too. This is what he said...

"B&Q own brand water based floor varnish (use the satin finish one) is the perfect stuff. It dries fairly quickly and has low fumes, so it won't need airing as long as traditional varnish. I've used it on all my home built wooden vivs and never had any problems".

Pete
gingerpony Posted - 18/05/2011 : 21:39:52
ooohhhh!

EEJIIIIII!!!??? we need you here!!
ptmbradley Posted - 18/05/2011 : 13:26:01
I thought I read somewhere that someone (Eeji?) has been using water based varnish in their vivs for years without problems? Was considering it as an option for my BRB viv when the time comes, but if it's possibly going to cause a hassle then maybe I'll stick to a fablon type covering.
gingerpony Posted - 18/05/2011 : 08:38:21
the varnish becomes liquid again and makes a real mess lol
PureLoneWolf Posted - 18/05/2011 : 08:36:44
Hiya and thanks

What do you mean by yuck?

As in, the varnish reacts against it...or just that it slides about everywhere?

Cheers
gingerpony Posted - 17/05/2011 : 20:35:20
water-based varnishes are safer but when Hongy goes to the loo on it.....yuck!!

and other varnishes like yatch varnish.......i'm not sure, you'd certainly have to wait a while for the fumes to dissipate.....

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000