The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Where's his tongue?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 10/04/2010 : 17:23:43
I love this pic of Twilight but it made me think, where do they keep their tongues when they're not using them? Is it attached to the roof of the mouth rather than the bottom side like our is? Weird...
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 11/04/2010 : 18:25:55
Wow, what fab info. I'm so glad I asked this question. Thanks everyone for all the lovely things you say about Twilight - he's actually very dull in colour at the moment and I'm expecting him to go into hiding very soon ready for a shed. I'll see if I can post a shiny photo in the near future!
elament Posted - 11/04/2010 : 12:08:06
Kehhlyr that was really interesting to know thank you

Cheers

steve

Editted to add: OOPS sorry nice pic of twilight but then I am one of the growing army of fans (want one meself he is stunning)
Kellog Posted - 11/04/2010 : 03:51:38
That is a really well explained post Kehhlyr, thank you !

There is so much we take for granted with our corns but dont really understand how they do it....and when we actually take the time to think about it, it shows what an awesome creation they are .

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/04/2010 : 02:13:56
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

Snakes tongues are at the bottom but they not like ours they are kept in like a little tunnel of skin (best way i can think to explain it XD) on the bottom jaw lol this picture shows it: http://sunspotsproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DSC_47041.jpg

You're nearly bang on.
The tunnel in that pic is the windpipe or to be more precise, the glottis.
The glottis is the tube on the end of the windpipe that can move to the side when eating so they can still breath.
If you watch your snakes when eating quite often you'll see it pop out from either side of the mouth, or from under the prey.

Their tongues come out from a small little slit like opening just in front of the glottis.

And while we're on the subject of the tongues I shall also try to explain why they're forked.

Everyone know they essentially smell with their tongues.
The tongue picks up a scent and then flicks it quickly to touch what is called the jacobsons organ which is in the roof of the mouth.
The jacobsons organ has 2 small openings, one for each side of the forked tongue. If the left hand side of the tongue produces fractionally more scent than the right hand side, then the snake knows to move to the left a bit. If it's the same on both sides then carry on forwards.

It's possible to see this in action by getting a pinky/mouse or whatever your snake is feeding on and tap it in a squiggly line across a piece of paper/clean glass table top.
As the snake tracks the scent that the prey (you and the mouse) have left, you'll see it's tongue flicking fast and also more curved in the direction that you scent marked.

I think we've covered the jacobson organ in a similar post somewhere, I shall try to find it.

/quick edit

Found it in the archives.

This one from this time last year: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3041

And this from May 2009: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3709

Hope that gives some useful info as well.
crazy JJ Posted - 11/04/2010 : 01:12:48
great pic of twilight :D (only the best 4 that name eh haha i believe u told me once)

never reli thought about that either... hmmm now i kinda know... learn something everyday lol :D
Sta~ple Posted - 11/04/2010 : 00:00:07
Haha he's all slobbery XD
HannahB Posted - 10/04/2010 : 22:35:51
great pic - Twilight is looking great
if you look carefully you can see where the tongue disappears to when its not in use..so to speak lol
Kellog Posted - 10/04/2010 : 22:00:03
Fantastic pic of Twilight (but then I am always very biased where Twilight is concerned ). Have got a very similar picture of Silvesta that I must post....but I must admit it never crossed my mind where their tongues disappeared to!

xxx

herriotfan Posted - 10/04/2010 : 18:49:55
Wow, that's cool. How interesting, glad the question was asked.
mozacchio Posted - 10/04/2010 : 18:16:26
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

good question!
you intruiged me, so i googled it lol
the web gave nothing, but i found this picture:
http://cornellpress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/parrotsnake.jpg
looks to be hiding away under the windpipe(?)

Thanks!
That one i didn't know..!
Like the photo, too!
Twi Posted - 10/04/2010 : 18:13:04
Snakes tongues are at the bottom but they not like ours they are kept in like a little tunnel of skin (best way i can think to explain it XD) on the bottom jaw lol this picture shows it: http://sunspotsproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DSC_47041.jpg
Figs Posted - 10/04/2010 : 18:10:32
good question!
you intruiged me, so i googled it lol
the web gave nothing, but i found this picture:
http://cornellpress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/parrotsnake.jpg
looks to be hiding away under the windpipe(?)

Fantastic photo though; Twilight is so pretty :)
mozacchio Posted - 10/04/2010 : 18:06:54
I can't answer your question, sorry!
Nice photo though..!
herriotfan Posted - 10/04/2010 : 17:55:21
That's a good question, and a lovely photo

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000