New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this pic of Twilight but it made me think, where do they keep their tongues when they're not using them? Is it attached to the roof of the mouth rather than the bottom side like our is? Weird...

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:55:21  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's a good question, and a lovely photo

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:06:54  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't answer your question, sorry!
Nice photo though..!
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good question!
you intruiged me, so i googled it lol
the web gave nothing, but i found this picture:
http://cornellpress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/parrotsnake.jpg
looks to be hiding away under the windpipe(?)

Fantastic photo though; Twilight is so pretty :)

Edited by - Figs on 10/04/2010 18:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:13:04  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Snakes tongues are at the bottom but they not like ours they are kept in like a little tunnel of skin (best way i can think to explain it XD) on the bottom jaw lol this picture shows it: http://sunspotsproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DSC_47041.jpg

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:16:26  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

good question!
you intruiged me, so i googled it lol
the web gave nothing, but i found this picture:
http://cornellpress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/parrotsnake.jpg
looks to be hiding away under the windpipe(?)

Thanks!
That one i didn't know..!
Like the photo, too!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:49:55  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's cool. How interesting, glad the question was asked.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  22:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic pic of Twilight (but then I am always very biased where Twilight is concerned ). Have got a very similar picture of Silvesta that I must post....but I must admit it never crossed my mind where their tongues disappeared to!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  22:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pic - Twilight is looking great
if you look carefully you can see where the tongue disappears to when its not in use..so to speak lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  00:00:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha he's all slobbery XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  01:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great pic of twilight :D (only the best 4 that name eh haha i believe u told me once)

never reli thought about that either... hmmm now i kinda know... learn something everyday lol :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  02:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

Snakes tongues are at the bottom but they not like ours they are kept in like a little tunnel of skin (best way i can think to explain it XD) on the bottom jaw lol this picture shows it: http://sunspotsproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DSC_47041.jpg

You're nearly bang on.
The tunnel in that pic is the windpipe or to be more precise, the glottis.
The glottis is the tube on the end of the windpipe that can move to the side when eating so they can still breath.
If you watch your snakes when eating quite often you'll see it pop out from either side of the mouth, or from under the prey.

Their tongues come out from a small little slit like opening just in front of the glottis.

And while we're on the subject of the tongues I shall also try to explain why they're forked.

Everyone know they essentially smell with their tongues.
The tongue picks up a scent and then flicks it quickly to touch what is called the jacobsons organ which is in the roof of the mouth.
The jacobsons organ has 2 small openings, one for each side of the forked tongue. If the left hand side of the tongue produces fractionally more scent than the right hand side, then the snake knows to move to the left a bit. If it's the same on both sides then carry on forwards.

It's possible to see this in action by getting a pinky/mouse or whatever your snake is feeding on and tap it in a squiggly line across a piece of paper/clean glass table top.
As the snake tracks the scent that the prey (you and the mouse) have left, you'll see it's tongue flicking fast and also more curved in the direction that you scent marked.

I think we've covered the jacobson organ in a similar post somewhere, I shall try to find it.

/quick edit

Found it in the archives.

This one from this time last year: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3041

And this from May 2009: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3709

Hope that gives some useful info as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/04/2010 02:20:09
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  03:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a really well explained post Kehhlyr, thank you !

There is so much we take for granted with our corns but dont really understand how they do it....and when we actually take the time to think about it, it shows what an awesome creation they are .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:08:06  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr that was really interesting to know thank you

Cheers

steve

Editted to add: OOPS sorry nice pic of twilight but then I am one of the growing army of fans (want one meself he is stunning)

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 11/04/2010 12:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  18:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what fab info. I'm so glad I asked this question. Thanks everyone for all the lovely things you say about Twilight - he's actually very dull in colour at the moment and I'm expecting him to go into hiding very soon ready for a shed. I'll see if I can post a shiny photo in the near future!

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000