The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Steve (pic heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 09:02:22
Hi, Steve is now 4months old, weighing in at 19gr and measuring around 19in,
He fed on 2 x 3g pinkies last night and has done quite happily for the last 3 feeds, my question is this?
I have 1 x 3g pinkie left and 4 x 4g pinkies left, on his next feed is it ok to give him 1 x 3g and 1 x 4g pinkie, then the feed after 2x 4g pinkies or should i try and get him some more 3g pinkies?
I know in 5g time he can move onto small fuzzies so didn't really want to go mad buying too many more pinkies.

Anyway here are some latest pictures. He is not camera shy at all and loves the attention.

my feeding box!!! lol

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 21/03/2010 : 10:13:29
after reading endless posts on here, i now know there are no 2 snakes the same!! I'm just glad i have a really easy going one.
Popped into our local rep shop where we got Steve from yesterday and they had the bearded dragons out and let us feed and hold one, he was so lovely, got my mind ticking over, until hubby said in my ear " don't get any ideas!!" lol
Good job he is there to keep me grounded otherwise i would probably have a right old collection now!! lol
Kellog Posted - 21/03/2010 : 04:50:24
Wonderful pics of Steve eating, and I am so pleased he took the fluff so well and even struck....dont worry, the constrict will hopefully come - and if it doesnt at least he is eating !!

quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I finally gave up on expecting Snickers to remain in the warm area for digestion. She would remain there for about twenty-four hours at best and then would burrow or climb a bush like your little darling. I've come to the conclusion that there are no such things as text book snakes.

Silvesta and Kellog are the same, both would originally head straight to the warm side but after 24hrs they would move about....Silvesta in particular. He used to then spend all his time in his cool hide, but he is becoming more adventurous and more often than not is burrowed somewhere under the substrate so that I have a 'no snake in the viv' situation!

But this is what they choose to do and they must know what is best for them, they have the choice as to where to go....so you are right when you say that there is no such thing as a text book snake!

xxx

n/a Posted - 20/03/2010 : 15:06:06
I finally gave up on expecting Snickers to remain in the warm area for digestion. She would remain there for about twenty-four hours at best and then would burrow or climb a bush like your little darling. I've come to the conclusion that there are no such things as text book snakes. [quote]Originally posted by mom2mysononly
n/a Posted - 20/03/2010 : 13:38:20
Ok Steve devoured the fluff like he always does, although it did take him a little longer than normal, he soon made it disappear!! lol
He struck really quickly again and i thought he was going to constrict till i saw his body was under the kitchen towel on the bottom of his rub! lol
Oh well next time maybe.

n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 20:56:05
Hi judith, thanks for that, Hubby held him for a few seconds again the other night, With Steve shedding and then feeding non of us have had chance to handle him much.
I must admit i do more for Steve than my son does, hence why i won't get my own snake just yet.lol

sta~ple thank you for your kind words, i'm sure your babies will feed soon, from what i have read on here snakes are very hardy creatures!! you do have some very pretty babies too.
Kellog Posted - 19/03/2010 : 05:04:00
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

Thanks Judith....... plus who would give Steve all the attention if i had my own snake.

I get so wound up with my family, cos they keep going on about 'my snakes' and how crazy I am about them and how they get more attention than the family - but they were actually got cos my OH and son were interested, but of course it has come down to me to do the water change, feeding, handling etc....so now they are MINE!!!!

quote:

hubby wants to get a ceramic plant pot form B&Q and cut a section out so he can go in it and hide in aspen or lie on the top of it. Would i need to treat the pot or could it just be left as it is?
Hubby is really enjoying helping get his Viv ready too bless him.

I used an old broken plant pot from the garden and OH just cut broken part down so that it sat at angle, then sanded cut piece. Washed it in boiling water (I think) and treated it with Tamodine - a reptile friendly cleaner. But that is all I did and Kellog loves is. Think there are pics of him somewhere on here of him in it....did worry he wouldnt fit but that is probably why he likes it, it is just right - not too big but not too small.

I love the fact your OH is getting so involved with Steve's viv, he is making more and more steps to becoming a corn lover. Has he handled Steve again recently?

xxx

Sta~ple Posted - 18/03/2010 : 17:40:33
Awww cute :3 I wish my babies would eat like your Steve does

And lovely plants he has there too ^^
n/a Posted - 18/03/2010 : 13:32:41
Thanks Judith, I could spoil him rotten, he is so lovely, i know i keep saying i would like a snake for my own but i doubt i would get one as laid back as Steve. Knowing me i would pick one that liked biting or hiding, so better the devil i know, so to speak, plus who would give Steve all the attention if i had my own snake. Viv is being varnished this weekend, then will be put together next weekend once pieces are dry and have been allowed to get rid of the smell, then we will put it together the weekend after Easter as we are away for a few days. So hopefully once we have had it running for a week and the temps are all fine, we will put Steve and his Faun in it and see how he goes. Gives me more time to find some more stuff to go in it, hubby wants to get a ceramic plant pot form B&Q and cut a section out so he can go in it and hide in aspen or lie on the top of it. Would i need to treat the pot or could it just be left as it is?
Hubby is really enjoying helping get his Viv ready too bless him.
Kellog Posted - 17/03/2010 : 03:24:32
quote:

Just been up to my local reptile supplier and spent £23 on Steve!! omg i so spoil him lol!!
I have just bought him fluffs will see how he likes them on Saturday.
Got the varnish for his Viv and the aquarium sealant so will start getting it ready to put together, can't wait now getting really excited about it.

I very much doubt Steve is the only spoilt snake on the forum!!

Hope everything goes ok with the fluffs, I am sure it will as he is making such good progress.

You must be so excited about his new viv and getting it all set up and right for him (and I am sure you are going to give him a first class upgrade to move into, just think of all the spoiling that is going on !)

xxx
n/a Posted - 16/03/2010 : 19:22:51
nice pics! lovley markings
n/a Posted - 16/03/2010 : 14:14:10
Just been up to my local reptile supplier and spent £23 on Steve!! omg i so spoil him lol!!
I have just bought him fluffs will see how he likes them on Saturday.
Got the varnish for his Viv and the aquarium sealant so will start getting it ready to put together, can't wait now getting really excited about it.
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 06:25:56
What a beautiful snake...Steve seems really comfortable crawling around on your son. That's so cool.
quote:

Hi, Steve is now 4months old, weighing in at 19gr and measuring around 19in,
He fed on 2 x 3g pinkies last night and has done quite happily for the last 3 feeds, my question is this?
I have 1 x 3g pinkie left and 4 x 4g pinkies left, on his next feed is it ok to give him 1 x 3g and 1 x 4g pinkie, then the feed after 2x 4g pinkies or should i try and get him some more 3g pinkies?
I know in 5g time he can move onto small fuzzies so didn't really want to go mad buying too many more pinkies.

Anyway here are some latest pictures. He is not camera shy at all and loves the attention.

my feeding box!!! lol

n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 14:15:02
Awww so lovely :o)
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 12:16:44
quote:

This is where i found him this morning!! lol, bearing in mind he ate 2 pinkies sunday night, so really he should be in his warm area digesting them still!! bless him, he just lifted his head and looked at me as if to say what you want now???

I think the same about Silvesta when I find him in the cool end the day after he has eaten...but then I tell myself that he has the choice as to where to go so there is not a lot I can do about it!! Another lovely pic of Steve, looks as though he is hovering on the top of that plant!

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 12:04:09
This is where i found him this morning!! lol, bearing in mind he ate 2 pinkies sunday night, so really he should be in his warm area digesting them still!! bless him, he just lifted his head and looked at me as if to say what you want now???

n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 20:20:13
quote:

you will get there hun, little and often, we have been really lucky with Steve, he has got to be the most laid back snake ever!! He loves having attention and is happy with anyone holding him, although i still need to convince hubby that!! lol.

Thats great that Steve is good to handle he looks lovely as well
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 16:48:06
you will get there hun, little and often, we have been really lucky with Steve, he has got to be the most laid back snake ever!! He loves having attention and is happy with anyone holding him, although i still need to convince hubby that!! lol.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 01/03/2010 : 15:02:00
Got to agree with what has been said bout the pics and your son defo looks comfortable with the snake. Wish mine was as calm but getting there slowly
devilsmistress Posted - 01/03/2010 : 13:59:34
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

I dont think its going to matter what pinkys you give him. I cant rember who said it, but it was " snakes dont go round weighing there prey in the wild so why worry to much in captivatiy?" It really wont make any diffrence!!

I have never weiged any of my snakes food, i just think yea thats will do them! I get mine bulk order so a bag of 100 fuzzys, i split by eye to small and medium fuzzys, not a set of scales in sight. I have fed my two no problems, neither are over or under weight.

So Like I said, dont worry about weight

I agree totally with Devilsmistress, it was my quote originally, why worry about a gramme here or there.

The main factor is the width of the pinkie as long as it is not more than 1 and a third to a half times the width of your snake it will be fine to offer.

Ahhh knew it had been said beore just could not rember who by!!
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 12:46:52
thanks for that guys, much appreciated.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000