The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Picture's Of My Corn's. I'm Such A Proud Owner.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 17:02:05

Just so you could all see my gorgeous snakes..:-)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Emmerz Posted - 09/04/2012 : 08:12:17
Sue -I am actually doing the same with my snow corn at the moment, and seem to have a what you have in your tank in mine:-)x
sue2012 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 14:14:14
quote:
Originally posted by Emmerz

U.K, East Coast.
Sue - I already have lots of hides and plants etc. So I should be okay for the time being. How many females do you have in one tank?x

i have 3 in there togather oldest is years old and youngest is 9 months old i have a snow as well that at the moment is only 6/7 months old and is tiny so she is in a faun but she will go in with the girls as well when i know she wont escape lol i have tons of hides lots of green lots of stuff to climb over 2 water bowls and most of all i feed every week on the same day and make sure taht its def the right size food for each snake that way i know thay are satisfied :)
kdlang Posted - 07/04/2012 : 08:25:46
Emmerz you have some stunning snakes there and it is clear you love them to bits.

I am another that is against cohabiting. For one because you cannot be certain that the snakes that you have purchased as female are actually female. I have just gone through the stress of having an eggbound female. It is really not fun and breaks your heart to see your pet struggling. Females have been miss sexed and many responsible breeders will not sell a snake as female unless it has been sexed as such at least 3 times and even then will warn that it's not certain.

The other issue is what happens if one of your snakes regurges. You will have to treat all your snakes as if they had all regurged as you wouldn't know which one it was.

Yes there are many people who co-habit successfully, I have no doubt about that. But personnally, I want to limit all risks to the health of my corns and cohabbiting, to me, is a big risk. One that I am well within my means to avoid.
Emmerz Posted - 07/04/2012 : 07:48:54
U.K, East Coast.
Sue - I already have lots of hides and plants etc. So I should be okay for the time being. How many females do you have in one tank?x
sue2012 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 23:18:46
quote:
Originally posted by Emmerz

Right,
at the moment the male is separated from the females because of breeding season.
and the 3 year old female is in a separate tank by herself away from all the one year old's.
Katie, she only has a tiny bit of rat snake in her.
When I went to buy the snakes, they had six corn snakes in one big tank and he said it was perfectly alright to have them in one big tank until they get old enough to breed and then you have to separate them. Sorry if I am been defeatist towards this idea it's just that many of my friends keep corns together and even in major pet stores they keep corns together. Also I have seen many of people on here put pictures of there snakes in the same tank? Sorry again if i'm been argumentative when you're trying to tell me something, and thank you to all who say I have lovely snakes:-)

i cohab my girls and they are all fine togather in the one viv just make sure lots of hides plants and so on i dont cohab boys and never will a friend of mine did this and lost 2 corns as come breeding season they stopped eating and never started again i dont know if this is cos of the cohabing but it is y i wont cohab my boys with my girls i make sure they are fed every week i check them every day and they are norm togather even if this is just for the hot spots lol but they are not stressed ...... and yes shops do only cohab to save space and money but that my opinion lol ............on a better note your corns really are stunning
kev 5 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:54:47
lovely snakes
Georgina Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:46:33
tis cool, where abouts do you live hun?
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:44:11
Right - I'll wait until tomorrow & tell my dad. Thanks for all your help much appreciated!<3
Georgina Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:38:44
that link doesnt work, not even if you copy and paste.

heres what you do, go to the diy on the furum and check out the divider threads. you can put a divider in both the 4ft vivs to make 4 2 ft vivs which will give you another 6 - 12 months to sort two larger vivs out. adult corns are fine in 3ft vivs.

and leave the bigger femal where she is x
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:35:07
The link above doesn't work - like feeding tanks? (12inches long & 7/8inches High)
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:33:33
Thanks:-) The tanks I have would be far too big to have one baby corn in. ( 4 Foot Long & 2 Foot High) - I Have Two Of These.
I Have Two Tanks (if you can call them that) a little bit like this - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=perspex+vivarium&start=119&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbnid=x1H31_6XZXqqaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.reptiletanksforsale.com/reptile-tanks-plastic/&docid=-sUSWoPdFhJ8UM&imgurl=http://www.jenspetproducts.com.au/images/lrgimage/695.JPG&w=500&h=375&ei=kFF_T4e0L8nH0QXz8vjjBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=352&vpy=246&dur=4820&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=189&ty=159&sig=111997648593463155198&page=6&tbnh=138&tbnw=243&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:119,i:62
And then The 3 Year Old Would Stay Where She Is!xx
Georgina Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:21:59
it would be better to keep them all seperate until they are adults. and then you will have them all seperate and there owudl be no reason to put them back together. but as temporary measure you can house two females together but you cannot be sure they arethe same sex.

if money for housing is an issue you can use tubs to house them, and have more than one on a mat.

if you need any help with set ups and sizes we are al here to help. x
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 21:08:26
Thanks guys, this is all a very big shock to me, I have seen no signs of aggression between any of the snakes? It's a very peaceful tank. Would it be okay to put the youngest two females together, two females in a tank each and the male on his own?xxx

SexyBear77 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:43:52
Awww, they are all very, very gorgeous!!

However, I would have to agree about splitting them up. Having learnt the hard way I now will NOT trust popping or probing 100% until the snake is proven as either male or female through *breeding*. I have bought males that turned out to be females, and vice versa, even from trusted and well respected breeders. This has led to females being impregnated when they weren't meant to be, but luckily I do not introduce ANYTHING to another snake until its at least 2 years old and the right size for breeding. I only have 1 pair of proven females co-habiting atm, both the same size, roughly the same weight, in a 4 foot viv with 6 hides, heat mat in the middle to provide 2 cool ends, and 3 water bowls.

It really is a very risky game to play. There is *always* the chance that your snakes have been mis-sexed, and that could lead to underage breeding, which is hugely dangerous and can lead to the death of a snake. Males are easily ready to breed at a year old, and females can be bred then too. I would strongly advise against re-introducing the male until ALL females are old enough ann big enough to breed, and even then I wouldn't keep them together year round.

The sharing of hides can also be indicative of competition for the most desirable spots in the viv- its not affection, they are not friends.

Shops keep snakes in groups because of space issues. They advise that its ok to co-habit because they make more sales this way. Responsible shops do not give out this advice.

Please, please think about it some more, for the safety of your snakes and your own peace of mind.
smart bunny Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:31:33
Hi Emmerz :)

You do have a fabulous collection of snakes there. Many people do cohab perfectly happily, and it is your choice. But I would like to point out that although there is a 'breeding season' corns do actually breed all year round, so the male should be kept separate from any females under 3yrs, 300g, 3ft in length as otherwise you risk the possibility of young females becoming eggbound and expensive vet bills/death of your females. Just because other people do something does not mean it is safe, and pet shops are weel known for giving out bad and dangerous advice!! They are all lovely though, and I don't want to scare you away from the forum, just please, please read that thread and then make your decisions :)
oakleyman18 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:31:31
A male doesn't always care what time of year it is- Please, don't house them together. FULL STOP. Ever. Unless you want babies, but even then it's gonna stress them out. I'm afraid I'm also in the group that believes snakes don't "cuddle up" together.

Co-hab seems to be ok once a certain age, and when the same sex, but pet stores dont always have the snakes best interests at heart.

This is a big can of worms being opened here.. I suggest everyone read the co-hab threads and make up your own minds..

But my $0.02 would be that you shouldn't risk the snakes health and lives like this.. I'm not saying WILL happen, but it's just not really worth the risk.
Georgina Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:28:15
sorry if we come across argumentative.

but you must understand that all of us have been mis advised by a per shop somewhere along the way.

aslong as you are aware of the risks, then it is your choice.

most pet stores will cohad due to space restrictions, and as a short term housing method. they are not instictivly social creatures and it can cause un know stress to keep them together.

its good that have the male and older corn seperate, but you may find that some people will be reluctant to offer advise, when, in their eyes are ignore this advise.

if you have the room to seperate them i would, or at a maximum i would keep the females in same sex pairs and male singular x
Emmerz Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:18:03
Right,
at the moment the male is separated from the females because of breeding season.
and the 3 year old female is in a separate tank by herself away from all the one year old's.
Katie, she only has a tiny bit of rat snake in her.
When I went to buy the snakes, they had six corn snakes in one big tank and he said it was perfectly alright to have them in one big tank until they get old enough to breed and then you have to separate them. Sorry if I am been defeatist towards this idea it's just that many of my friends keep corns together and even in major pet stores they keep corns together. Also I have seen many of people on here put pictures of there snakes in the same tank? Sorry again if i'm been argumentative when you're trying to tell me something, and thank you to all who say I have lovely snakes:-)
Falice Posted - 06/04/2012 : 20:17:09
they are all lovely!
Georgina Posted - 06/04/2012 : 19:32:13
from reading and looking at co-hab corns. which i did briefly as i was mis advised by a shop. from all the research i have done i have come to the understanding that corns will collect in one place to compete for the same space. when corns hatch they all go their seperate ways and then live their lives alone. im not saying that you canot co hab as people do, and have every success. but keeping a mxed sex group is a no no.

on the positive they are all beautiful snakes x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000