The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Frontline info?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lmfastcars Posted - 27/02/2010 : 16:35:46
Does anyone know how much frontline is? Also, would the vets just sell it to you or do you need your pet to be diagnosed with it.

Thanks, Liam
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fal Posted - 10/03/2010 : 16:22:07
We still haven't seen any and its been a few days but we are keeping up with the above advice so thank you all! Hope other people who have the same problem at the moment are managing ok?
It's so frustrating and I feel so sorry for our lil Bells, poor girl. Never had the problem with our lizards - is it more common with snakes? Or is it probably just where we got her from (different from where we got our lizards)?
Kazerella Posted - 10/03/2010 : 13:51:46
Substrate gives them somewhere to breed.

You need to keep the substrate out until you know all the eggs, the tiny mites you can't see and the adults have gone before putting it back in. Otherwise they'll just breed rapidly again..
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 16:59:28
Mites won't come back if you put bedding back in, it merely gives them somewhere to live. Snake mites do not live in the bedding, they do not come from bedding, they come from snakes, aspen, bark, whatever, won't give you mites.
Although snake mites won't transfer to most lizards, they can live on furries and us. Although its rarely needed for them.
Kazerella Posted - 09/03/2010 : 15:37:38
Yes, don't put any substrate in for at least 6-8 weeks, otherwise they might come back.

I would continue to keep cage decor to a bare minimum and keep doing baths and 3 day faun disinfections for a long while, whether or not you see them or not.

I learnt my lesson the first time mites came into the house. We were convinced Evra had got rid of hers after a few weeks, but not long after going back to normal they re-appeared and we had to start the process all over again.

Always stick to it for longer than seems necessary.
Kellog Posted - 09/03/2010 : 11:44:11
I agree with BlackEcho's word of warning. This is the diary I kept when we found Kellog had mites -

5th August 2009: Mites found following 'kenneling'
viv bleached and treated with Tamodine
Kellog bathed in sink 4 times and returned to viv on
kitchen roll with just hide and water bowl.

6th August 2009: more mites spotted
Kellog washed in bath
kitchen roll changed in viv
mites spotted in hide, washed in boiling water and
Tamodine

8th August 2009: Kellog washed in bath with oil
kitchen roll changed in viv
hide washed

bathing continued every few days and kitchen roll changed every day.

13th August 2009: checked for mites, no sign
still on kitchen roll
wood added to viv (oven baked)

25th August 2009: viv returned to normal
MITE FREE

It is definitely worth being safe than sorry and taking that extra time doing the baths and keeping the snake in the bare viv with just kitchen roll down to make sure that all the eggs have hatched and all mites then killed.

xxx
Blackecho Posted - 09/03/2010 : 07:47:30
Just be aware that wherever the mite have been they may have left eggs (too small to see) which could hatch over the next 6 weeks or so. If you have not killed off the eggs you may just end up back where you started.
Fal Posted - 08/03/2010 : 21:57:59
We cleaned tank out the other day, put fresh kitchen roll in and basic two hides as we found a few mites on Bella :( We then bathed her with olive oil in the water as seen on this forum and loads came off her!!! So scary, poor gal. We bathed her again and again and more and more came off, most from around the head. She is so well behaved, she let my Fiancee gently rub her head top and bottom without wriggling too much and that's when most came off, seemed to be under her mouth. Eventually though, the odd few that came off at the end were dead. One more bath and we couldn't seem to find any. She went back into her cleaned Faunarium after that and (fingers crossed) we haven't seen and since and I have been changing the kitchen roll daily and handled her twice since. It's now been three days and still nothing. We're going to repeat the procedure tomorrow whether we find any or not, then think about putting her old hide/fake plant etc back in after a second clean of them and a second 'cooking' of her wood. So hopefully we have managed to get rid before the use of frontline has been needed, but hope I haven't jynxed it :/
Blackecho Posted - 06/03/2010 : 10:19:42
Found it: http://www.leguidesante.co.uk/3A6/purchase/frontline-external-spray-application-mechanical-pump-spray-100ml/
Blackecho Posted - 04/03/2010 : 12:02:40
There's a Sticky about them at the top of this forum.
Fal Posted - 04/03/2010 : 11:55:21
Cheers Kazerella, appreciate that!
Kazerella Posted - 04/03/2010 : 10:48:12
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Are these mites transerable to our furry friends (cat in our case)?? I mean we wash our hands after handling Bella, but hear they can be passed between reptiles through handling so wondered whether Neo, our cat would be at risk?

No, reptile mites are different to mammal type mites, so there's no risk to your pets or yourself of catching them.

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

There is a type of biological control but I can't remember it's name, but basically it's a type of mite that you can buy which you introduce and it eats all the bad mites and then dies off itself when there is no food left.

Hypoapsis mites?

That's the one
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/03/2010 : 09:03:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

There is a type of biological control but I can't remember it's name, but basically it's a type of mite that you can buy which you introduce and it eats all the bad mites and then dies off itself when there is no food left.

Hypoapsis mites?
Blackecho Posted - 04/03/2010 : 06:51:49
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

frontline is cheaper on the internet n no questions asked thats where im going to get it from this time.

Just make sure its the spray, if you're buying online from the UK you will need a prescription, but there are sites abroad you can buy from.
KITTYCAT Posted - 04/03/2010 : 06:25:48
frontline is cheaper on the internet n no questions asked thats where im going to get it from this time.
Fal Posted - 03/03/2010 : 21:50:12
Are these mites transerable to our furry friends (cat in our case)?? I mean we wash our hands after handling Bella, but hear they can be passed between reptiles through handling so wondered whether Neo, our cat would be at risk?

I'm going to bath Bella tomorrow (thanks for the olive oil tip, will try that) and disinfect her faun + bin the aspen and put kitchen roll in for a while as well as re-baking the piece of wood she has in there. Fingers crossed it will work since it's early days and we've only found (what we think are) two very small dead mites in her water bowl.
Kazerella Posted - 03/03/2010 : 19:12:25
quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

Kaz, WHat do you use for a small break out of mites?

thanks

There's pet shop bought treatments like Zoo med mite off that can work on minor cases and is safer, but that's not the only thing.

If the outbreak is very mild you can use the daily baths in water with a drop of olive oil in it technique. This also needs to be teamed with removing all substrate and replacing with kitchen roll (since mites need substrate to breed). Plus you need to totally disinfect the viv and decor every 3 days and continue this routine for at least 2 months. Time consuming, but effective if you perservere.

Some people sometimes use two rubs during a mite infestation and move the snake daily to a new rub while the other is disinfected, which is easier that disinfecting a full viv all the time.

Plus squashing the odd one inbetwwen your nails can be very satisfying
HannahB Posted - 03/03/2010 : 18:50:21
quote:
Originally posted by samRILEY

What should i use it on ?

the frontline?
Sam if you read the entire thread you will find the answer to your question..
Frontline can be used on snakes to fight against mites, although there other options such as a bath with a small amount of oil in and theres another treatment mentioned in a sticky about using another type of mite to fight them off with
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 16:47:37
What should i use it on ?
Fal Posted - 02/03/2010 : 22:43:16
Now i'm scared! My bro got his King Snake from the same place as I got my Corn, and on the same day - Two days ago he noticed a mite, tonight we noticed black dots (2) in Bella's water bowl (when changing it for fresh water). We also used the same bag of aspen for my bro's King and our Corn so if one has it, it seems they both do and I am assuming (although I haven't seen any on her) that the black dots in her water were mites, especially if my bro found one on his King.

Where would they have come from? The aspen? As I heard aspen doesn't usually have mites, it's more orchid bark or cork bark etc.. Or maybe they had them when we bought the snakes, although I thought we would have noticed them before now since we've had them almost a month :/

Sorry to rant but after reading all this i'm panicked now! We have lizards but have never had mites with them thakfully, although i'm worried for them too now.
I've tried search and there's so many posts that come up; am I right in thinking you:

Get rid of the aspen, disinfect with reptile friendly disinfectant (like mentioned above) the faunarium and furniture and then put paper towels in (fresh every day for a while until your happy to go back to aspen) and then bake the aspen you start to use? Also bath the snake?

Sorry for all the questions and if this is thread hijacking, but seems there's a few folks in similar situations to me on here and wondering anyway, and don't want to use frontline unless we have to (not because of cost but because of fear of harming bella by using it on her).

Thanks all!!
Jon
mikerichards Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:40:55
An out break of mites is never as small as you think, always treat with as much force as you can, they are incredibly persistent! Go in all guns blazing, be 100% certain you got them all, cos if you don't, even 1 female can produce nearly 100 babies in a short space of time, granted they are all males as the mites don't need to mate to produce them, but then they mate with her after about 48 hours, 24 hours later you have nearly 100 females, 100 males and 100 females, well, that's a serious infestation manifesting!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000