Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:35:46  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how much frontline is? Also, would the vets just sell it to you or do you need your pet to be diagnosed with it.

Thanks, Liam

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to get some of my vet when I was down there with my kitten, just told her what the problem was and she prescribed it, I think it cost about £13 ish?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:47:53  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks SB, Do you reckon if i tell them the problem with the snakes, they will prescribe it?

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i paid 23 quid for 100ml, and i get a deal from them! he knows i use it for the snakes. you might get a lecture, or he just might say no as its very dangerous if not used properly.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  17:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My small animal vets aren't rep vets, so she knew no better- no lecture!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  17:55:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
frontline spray comes in 2 sizes, 100ml and 250ml and i think it's available without a vet having seen the animal (on GSL) rather than being a POM but that might have changed recently..........i'll check at work tonight

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  18:02:00  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks every one, ill go and try my luck on monday

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:26:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
checked when i went back up to work tonight and it HAS changed to POM (prescription only medication) so basically a vet must have seen the animal they are dispensing it for in the last 6-12 months (discretionary, our practice says 12 months) and of course if must ONLY be used for the anaimal it has been prescribed for..................

but what you do with it once you've left the vet surgery...................

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

checked when i went back up to work tonight and it HAS changed to POM (prescription only medication) so basically a vet must have seen the animal they are dispensing it for in the last 6-12 months (discretionary, our practice says 12 months) and of course if must ONLY be used for the anaimal it has been prescribed for..................

but what you do with it once you've left the vet surgery...................

I have a naughty vet then. Quite glad about that, it would be a total pain to take me snakie to the vet just to be told what I already know, and then charged for it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  10:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Vet is a small animal vet, he also has an interest in the reps, so i speak to him first to see if he can help.
I got some frontline on friday, i phoned them in the morning, asked them to stick some in with the courier to the lab, and Kate brought it back with her in the evening. They are very helpful! they are also awesome vets!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  16:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the vets will prescribe it for reps, but I had a sign a waiver to say that I understood there were risks and if anything happened to my snake then they were not liable.

There are other things they can prescribe too like Xeno 200 etc.

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  18:48:58  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

Quite glad about that, it would be a total pain to take me snakie to the vet just to be told what I already know, and then charged for it.

Thats what i dont want to do but will do if necsarcary

Thanks everyone for your help, ill have to nip in there soon as i get a moment.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  19:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you use Frontline for ??

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  19:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cant you buy frontline at pets at home and even some Asda pharmacies???

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  19:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by samRILEY

What do you use Frontline for ??

It can be used to treat mites, but it's potent so not recommended if your snake only has a small break out. It's important to make sure frontline goes no where near a snakes eyes, mouth and face and that steps are taken to make sure it's not ingested (putting a small water bowl in the viv during treated etc).

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  20:23:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

cant you buy frontline at pets at home and even some Asda pharmacies???

Only the drops, not the spray.

I just told the vets I needed it for my cats.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:27:16  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kaz, WHat do you use for a small break out of mites?

thanks

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An out break of mites is never as small as you think, always treat with as much force as you can, they are incredibly persistent! Go in all guns blazing, be 100% certain you got them all, cos if you don't, even 1 female can produce nearly 100 babies in a short space of time, granted they are all males as the mites don't need to mate to produce them, but then they mate with her after about 48 hours, 24 hours later you have nearly 100 females, 100 males and 100 females, well, that's a serious infestation manifesting!

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  22:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now i'm scared! My bro got his King Snake from the same place as I got my Corn, and on the same day - Two days ago he noticed a mite, tonight we noticed black dots (2) in Bella's water bowl (when changing it for fresh water). We also used the same bag of aspen for my bro's King and our Corn so if one has it, it seems they both do and I am assuming (although I haven't seen any on her) that the black dots in her water were mites, especially if my bro found one on his King.

Where would they have come from? The aspen? As I heard aspen doesn't usually have mites, it's more orchid bark or cork bark etc.. Or maybe they had them when we bought the snakes, although I thought we would have noticed them before now since we've had them almost a month :/

Sorry to rant but after reading all this i'm panicked now! We have lizards but have never had mites with them thakfully, although i'm worried for them too now.
I've tried search and there's so many posts that come up; am I right in thinking you:

Get rid of the aspen, disinfect with reptile friendly disinfectant (like mentioned above) the faunarium and furniture and then put paper towels in (fresh every day for a while until your happy to go back to aspen) and then bake the aspen you start to use? Also bath the snake?

Sorry for all the questions and if this is thread hijacking, but seems there's a few folks in similar situations to me on here and wondering anyway, and don't want to use frontline unless we have to (not because of cost but because of fear of harming bella by using it on her).

Thanks all!!
Jon

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  16:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What should i use it on ?

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by samRILEY

What should i use it on ?

the frontline?
Sam if you read the entire thread you will find the answer to your question..
Frontline can be used on snakes to fight against mites, although there other options such as a bath with a small amount of oil in and theres another treatment mentioned in a sticky about using another type of mite to fight them off with

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000