The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 11:32:23
We have a 2 and a half year old animal , he has always been healthy with a good appetite , but hes not eaten for five weeks now and is pale , the vet exrayed him last week ( nothing found ) and gave him
antibiotics , getting very worried now does anyone have any ideas ?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 31/01/2010 : 19:54:51
To give you an idea, mine havent eaten since the beginning of november, and they are all absolutley fine. Dont panic!
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 05:17:42
Adriennne....any news on your snake? Has it eaten yet? Do you weigh it regularly and is it losing weight? It was my snake that went for 13 weeks without eating and that was from when I first got him - he refused first feed offered...so as a newbie I panicked!! This forum explained what was going on and what to do, they also kept me calm while I drove them mad!

Definitely need more information regarding your snake and its set-up.

What was it feeding on? Has it been moved up in feeds recently? Is it definitely male? What are the exact temps each end of the viv? What else can you tell us about the viv set-up? How long have you had him? What was/is his weight?

With more information we can be of more help (I say 'we' when I really mean GingerPony as she is the expert here!)

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 26/01/2010 : 18:03:32
You never know for sure until its confirmed! obviously i have my suspicions too, hence my advice!
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 23:41:54
This is the corn snake forum haha!
Plus we already know its a reptile and has shed...

So narrows it down abit
mikerichards Posted - 25/01/2010 : 23:16:09
as said, really need to know what temps are, they mmight be in 'range' for what a pet shop has said, but to be honest, i wouldnt pay money for what most petshops have told me. also, i didnt see any mention of a thermostat on the heatmat? if you dont have one, its a worthwhile investment for the safety of your snake, assuming it is actually a snake, and a cornsnake at that! What others have said is absolutely right, i havent fed most of my corns now since beginning of november, and they are fine, albeit cold!
From what you have mentioned, its sound like the snake being pale would be him coming into shed, i cant see how else they can be pale!
hopefully feeding wont be a problem in the future, but as with most corns, it generally isnt! good luck
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 18:18:12
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Is this animal actually a snake? it could be a cat or something Nowheres stated he's a snake and everyone jumped to the conclusion.

Lol I hope its not a cat or dog- us lot all saying "don't worry that it hasn't fed for weeks and weeks..."
hillzi Posted - 25/01/2010 : 18:13:51
Is this animal actually a snake? it could be a cat or something Nowheres stated he's a snake and everyone jumped to the conclusion.

Yes I'm quite efficient at reading between the lines but just wanted to make sure!!
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 17:25:10
quote:
Originally posted by Oakey

So how long before permanent damage is done?

Or does this depend on size of snake?

Months and months. Though if it is a skinny snake to start with obviously it will find it harder to maintain a healthy weight.

Because snakes are cold blooded it is possible for them to slow their metabolism right down, unlike a mammal or bird which would have to eat far more regularly.
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 17:08:14
So how long before permanent damage is done?

Or does this depend on size of snake?
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:37:14
There was an article in PRK- not the last one with GALS but the one before about snakes with anorexia - non feeders- and Im pretty sure in the article it said that snakes can easily go up to 5 months without eating!- If Slinx did that I would have no hair/fingernails/weight left myself just through the stress!

xXx
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 03:03:29
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

one of my little uns is a non feeder - since august shes only eaten 2 small bits of mouse tail - one being tonight - and a small piece of pinkie - the other bit of tail and pinkie were assist fed back in october and before then she had never eaten..

Aww...
I'm glad she's coming along though
gingerpony Posted - 24/01/2010 : 22:44:34
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

What temperature is the actual warm and cool side?

good call hillzi hun
HannahB Posted - 24/01/2010 : 22:00:47
quote:

That really is a long time lol.

one of my little uns is a non feeder - since august shes only eaten 2 small bits of mouse tail - one being tonight - and a small piece of pinkie - the other bit of tail and pinkie were assist fed back in october and before then she had never eaten..
gingerpony Posted - 24/01/2010 : 21:53:31
quote:

Wow...
Thats insane.
Was it breeding season?

like others have said, it's really NOT a long time.............

one of my boas ate 4 times in the whole of 2008 with his previous owner...........yes, doing the maths it averages out at every 4 months..........or 16 weeks.........
Pooh Sticks Posted - 24/01/2010 : 17:16:50
You'll find when they reach maturity it is not uncommon for either sex to go off food during the spring.
My male regularly goes 15 weeks a year without food from mid march to July while he's busy thinking about other things. My female will be reaching 3 this year and has just the past few weeks gone from being a regular eater that would eat anything given to refusing the second of 2 mice and then last week refusing anything at all.
Adults can generally go about 6 months without food provided there is fresh water available. They will also generally keep up their own weight if it due to breeding season as well.
hillzi Posted - 24/01/2010 : 17:15:52
What temperature is the actual warm and cool side?
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 16:59:17
Yeah it was over the winter with an adult male who was in the mood for love lol. He dropped very little weight actually over that time, which is surprising.

It was Judith's snake Kellog, I'm sure you could find the story in the search bit.
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 16:48:57
Wow...
Thats insane.
Was it breeding season?

SexyBear77 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 16:45:54
5 weeks isn't a long time at all, one of the members on here had a corn that went 13 weeks without eating!
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 14:30:14
Doesn't sound too serious, but its along time to miss feeds.

Have you tried braining him (exposing brain matter of pinkies/mice etc)?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000