The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Powercut!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
angelhope Posted - 06/01/2010 : 20:45:29
In th event of a powercut wil my snake be ok?!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/01/2010 : 17:44:30
I still stand by my theory of a power invertor and a couple batteries.
But like I said it also depends on your power company, ours are bound to provide generators and gas to us if the power is out for more than 4 hours.
Tizzy Posted - 09/01/2010 : 15:17:12
Get a camping hob! not just for your snakes but i really believe that everyone should have emergency ways of heating, cooking etc for themselves *hummm reminds me i must get mine back from the last person who borrowed it* also comes in handy for camping. They are about £10-£15 for a single hob and refills are about £6 for 3 but well. worth it when the power gets cut and your the smug warm person with a cuppa and hot water bottle.
Kellog Posted - 09/01/2010 : 05:45:34
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Hot water bottles filled with water heated on my gas hob.

Problem is if you dont have a gas hob....

quote:
Originally posted by gmac
[br} We had powercut last night lost all heating, but was pleasantly surprised to see the temps in vivs and fauns only go down about 3 degrees ish after 2-2.5 hours.

....and powercut goes on for longer than a few hours. Then what do you do??

xxx
gmac Posted - 08/01/2010 : 22:04:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if your central heating is gas, would the boiler will still cut out at some point because it will have an electric pump in it? (any plumbers/gas fitters on the forum?)

Most boilers will now not function without electricity. Most are lit by a spark and obviously have electric pumps.

xxx

We had powercut last night lost all heating, but was pleasantly surprised to see the temps in vivs and fauns only go down about 3 degrees ish after 2-2.5 hours.
gingerpony Posted - 08/01/2010 : 14:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

that's what i did when we were having power cuts on a weekly basis.........
Kellog Posted - 08/01/2010 : 11:22:23
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if your central heating is gas, would the boiler will still cut out at some point because it will have an electric pump in it? (any plumbers/gas fitters on the forum?)

Most boilers will now not function without electricity. Most are lit by a spark and obviously have electric pumps.

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/01/2010 : 09:41:02
My Daddy is a heating engineer (for 30 years *Cough* plus!)... I could ask if you like Eeji..?

xXx
Blackecho Posted - 08/01/2010 : 09:20:10
lucifer Posted - 08/01/2010 : 00:41:35
Some modern boilers like mine use electricity too so a power cut could effect the house heating.
As Hannah suggested I would chuck a towel or dressing gown over the viv to retain some of the heat while you wait.
eeji Posted - 08/01/2010 : 00:11:06
HannahB Posted - 07/01/2010 : 22:30:55
if you are worried about them, you could put towels around the vivs/fauns and over them to keep the heat in
Lilpunk Posted - 07/01/2010 : 19:20:30
I was thinking if you have your radiators on gas, then you could sit near them with him/her if you were really worried about being below the lowest temperature at the cold end of your viv. But yeah, I think they are mostly alright, they escape often enough and are ok, so I would imagine for a couple of hours would be fine.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/01/2010 : 21:16:29
Corn snakes are pretty hardy, i would have thought that aslong as the power wherent off for too long they would be ok.
hillzi Posted - 06/01/2010 : 21:12:25
Yup.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000