New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angelhope
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In th event of a powercut wil my snake be ok?!

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:16:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes are pretty hardy, i would have thought that aslong as the power wherent off for too long they would be ok.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  19:20:30  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was thinking if you have your radiators on gas, then you could sit near them with him/her if you were really worried about being below the lowest temperature at the cold end of your viv. But yeah, I think they are mostly alright, they escape often enough and are ok, so I would imagine for a couple of hours would be fine.

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  22:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you are worried about them, you could put towels around the vivs/fauns and over them to keep the heat in

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:11:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if your central heating is gas, would the boiler will still cut out at some point because it will have an electric pump in it? (any plumbers/gas fitters on the forum?)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:41:35  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some modern boilers like mine use electricity too so a power cut could effect the house heating.
As Hannah suggested I would chuck a towel or dressing gown over the viv to retain some of the heat while you wait.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  09:20:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hot water bottles filled with water heated on my gas hob.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  09:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Daddy is a heating engineer (for 30 years *Cough* plus!)... I could ask if you like Eeji..?

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  11:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if your central heating is gas, would the boiler will still cut out at some point because it will have an electric pump in it? (any plumbers/gas fitters on the forum?)

Most boilers will now not function without electricity. Most are lit by a spark and obviously have electric pumps.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  14:04:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

that's what i did when we were having power cuts on a weekly basis.........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  22:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Most boilers will now not function without electricity. Most are lit by a spark and obviously have electric pumps.

xxx

We had powercut last night lost all heating, but was pleasantly surprised to see the temps in vivs and fauns only go down about 3 degrees ish after 2-2.5 hours.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  05:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Problem is if you dont have a gas hob....

quote:
Originally posted by gmac
[br} We had powercut last night lost all heating, but was pleasantly surprised to see the temps in vivs and fauns only go down about 3 degrees ish after 2-2.5 hours.

....and powercut goes on for longer than a few hours. Then what do you do??

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/01/2010 05:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  15:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a camping hob! not just for your snakes but i really believe that everyone should have emergency ways of heating, cooking etc for themselves *hummm reminds me i must get mine back from the last person who borrowed it* also comes in handy for camping. They are about £10-£15 for a single hob and refills are about £6 for 3 but well. worth it when the power gets cut and your the smug warm person with a cuppa and hot water bottle.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  17:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I still stand by my theory of a power invertor and a couple batteries.
But like I said it also depends on your power company, ours are bound to provide generators and gas to us if the power is out for more than 4 hours.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000