The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Kellog in hiding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 31/08/2009 : 14:04:25
Can someone please reassure me! Kellog is still hiding out in his hide most of the time despite his viv being returned to normal after the 'mite affair'. Tried to tempt him out when he was fed today but would only come a few inches out and then backed back in. Finally got him to feed by dangling mouse right in front of hide, he struck and dragged mouse inside. That was this morning and this evening I did lift hide to check he has eaten it and it has gone, but he must have been all coiled up in there when he swallowed it which cant be good for him. Before the 'mite affair' we never bothered him when he was in his hide. We would only handle him when he was out and about but had to start removing hide to get at him and treat hide and bath him. He then spent nearly 3 weeks on kitchen roll instead of substrate, so I can understand that he might be stressed still. But he is ok when he is handled, as I managed to grab him when he ventured out of his hide yesterday and he seemed very happy - did not want to go back into viv. Cant see anything wrong with him, it is just his hiding all the time that worries me cos it is so different to his behaviour before the 'mite incident'. I am up a lot during the night and he doesnt seem to move around then either. What do people think, please????? xxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checkout Kellog Questions topic for background info.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/10/2009 : 10:57:47
that is great news kellog, i am so happy he is getting back to his old self! x
Kellog Posted - 03/10/2009 : 03:46:44
Now I am back I have started handling Kellog normally by taking hide out and then him out. He was lovely and calm to handle, although he kept trying to get under my clothes! It did seem to stimulate him cos he stayed out of the hide for a bit when I returned him. Yesterday was feeding day so, on Hiper's advice, I took out the hide and took him out just for a few minutes handling, then returned him to the viv without putting the hide back in. Reason for this is last few feeds he has only struck and then dragged mouse into hide to eat. He didnt seem bothered and struck really well, no coiling but was lovely watching him eat. Only problem was that once he was finished feeding he decided to burrow and move around the area his hide normally is and he is such a long snake it was hard getting him out of the way long enough to put the hide back in! Was finally able to and he went straight into it, but then poked his head back out and stayed that way for a while. All positive I hope! xxxx
HannahB Posted - 23/09/2009 : 06:45:28
glad hes started venturing back out...
you know when he had the mites problem and you had to bathe him, was he out and about when you got him out to bathe? i know that sounds silly but if he was out and about he might have linked being out and about and being picked up with being bathed? hes probs trying to prevent himself from going in the bath tub again! bless him
i would def start lifting the hide on him..i have to with mont otherwise i would never see him! lol
glad hes starting to go back to normal
Kellog Posted - 23/09/2009 : 04:03:48
Fed Kellog this morning. He still hadnt been fully out, just enough to reach his water bowl and looking out ocassionally, so I havent disturbed him by handling him. He did take a bit of encouraging. I originally tried dangling mouse at opposite end of viv to hide he is in to encourage him out, but he would only come out a bit. Eating is more important to me than tempting him out so moved it nearer and he struck from the hide. This time he didnt drag mouse back into hide, which was good, so got to watch him feed and then he hung around for a few minutes stretching his jaw before retreating into hiding again. Think I will give him his 48 hrs then start handling him normally, even if it means moving him out of hide. xxx
gingerpony Posted - 22/09/2009 : 22:02:26
good news about Kellog shedding and i hope your son's ok too

hope things get back to normal soon x
Kellog Posted - 22/09/2009 : 04:45:37
Good news but not great news. As said before Kellog was blue and has taken longer than normal from coming clear to shedding....but he finally came out of his hide and shed yesterday! Perfect clean shed, lovely to watch, just seeing him out and about was amazing! He then did a massive poo and stayed cruising round the viv. When my OH opened glass door to clean out mess Kellog even tried escaping, so I took him out to handle for just the period while his viv was being straightened. He felt beautiful but was very active, immediately up one sleeve, down my back and out the other sleeve! Put him back in and he stayed out of the hide for quite a while. It almost seemed as though he needed to shed to rid himself psychologically of the mites incident (I know this sounds bizarre but it was his last shed when the mites happened). Decided to leave one day before feeding him - he was supposed to be fed last Monday - but he has hardly been out at all today that I have seen, only enough of his body to reach his water bowl. Unfortunately I had to take my son back to hosp this morning for most of the day so missed any chance of handling him and obviously cant tell for sure if he has been out or not. Really wanted to weigh him before next feed. Will feed him today and then leave for the needed 48 hrs and wait and see what happens. A glimmer of hope I guess.....just was so good seeing him moving around his viv for a couple of hours as if everything was back to normal. xxx
n/a Posted - 18/09/2009 : 19:48:02
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

My 1000th post! Just thought I should do something to celebrate it by announcing it here! xxx

Wahhayy
Kellog Posted - 18/09/2009 : 19:41:05
My 1000th post! Just thought I should do something to celebrate it by announcing it here! xxx
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2009 : 21:50:30
cool hun
Kellog Posted - 15/09/2009 : 23:19:51
Good news is Kellog came out of his hide this afternoon (while I was asleep) and spent a while in the warm end. Very blue according to OH. Now back in hide but it has encouraged me. Assume he will come out to shed, then will feed him as he was due a feed yesterday, then leave 48hrs and start handling normally, even if it means taking him out of hide. Hopefully all will be well - please...... xxx
gingerpony Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:22:51
TBH i'd just disturb him in his cold hide, maybe remove it completely for a few minutes till he finds somewhere warm to settle
Kellog Posted - 14/09/2009 : 04:36:07
Thanks for replying GP and thanks for the reassurance SGrossyboi! He is in the cold end, but does feel warm enough to the touch. Have already decided that I need to start handling him again even if it means taking him out of the hide, but then when I lifted hide yesterday he has gone 'blue'. Will just have to wait this shed out, then feed him as he is really due a feed today, and then start with the handling again. It is interesting about him losing desire to find somewhere warmer so might move him to warm end after shed and feed.
Thanks again. Dont know what I would do without you guys calming me down! I really am a nervous newbie!!! xxx
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 01:06:47
Steve is always in his hide, since i have had him he has been a lazy bum, he pops his head out and then kinda fecks off back inside. I think he is fine kellog. The whole mite thing would have gave him a shock which is understandable but im sure kellog Is doing fine :)
gingerpony Posted - 13/09/2009 : 17:22:18
sorry i missed replying to this hun.....
he's had an awful lot going on recently so i think it's understandable he's hiding.......
is he in the warm or cold hide? if he's in the warm one that's good but it might be worth turning the stat up a tiny bit in case he's staying there cos he's struggling to get up to his preferred temperature
if he's in the cold hide i'd turn the stat down a fraction (maybe its a little warm for his personal liking?) and disturb him or move him to the warm end. once snakes have got particularly cold they can sometimes lose the desire to find somewhere warmer
i'd start handling him for short periods of time a couple of times a week to keep him used to being handled but with minimum amount of stress for him.

and keep us updated hun
n/a Posted - 11/09/2009 : 22:50:40
hi again - i wouldnt be worried enough by his hiding up to take him to the snake dr, so long as he's eating and he seems his usual self when you handle him i dont think there is anything medically wrong with the little fella and i'm sure its just a matter of time. i would handle him as much as poss, even if it does mean lifting his hide up, perhaps he's hiding from ya cos he thinks you're gonna treat him for mites again and he needs time to build up his trust in humans again? who knows how their little heads tick? keep ya chin up, he'll be fine X
Kellog Posted - 11/09/2009 : 22:11:55
Thanks sioux and Bezzie. I am getting even more worried cos it has now been 3 weeks since his viv was returned to normal and he is still hiding. He is just overdue a poo as was fed on Monday, so think I will get him out tomorrow even if I have to lift his hide up. His heat is the same as it has always been and there have been no changes from his 'before' mites situation. I know it is a relief he is eating, but cant tell if he is drinking, and when he does eat he is striking and then dragging the mouse back to his hide. What more can I do cos this cant be normal, not for this long a period? GP?????? xxx
n/a Posted - 11/09/2009 : 13:04:19
Hi. I used to lift the hide on my boy if I wanted to take him out and he never worried. Provided he's not thinking of shedding and you've given him time to digest his last feed I would try handling him and see what he's like.
Good luck.
n/a Posted - 10/09/2009 : 01:44:24
hi, you sound worried sick about the little fella and i can relate to that cos i'm the one with the poo problem you replied to the other day.
is his viv warm enough cos being cold makes them lethargic and they dont wanna come out & about or is he due for a shed soon cos mine always goes into hiding then, i go to check he's ok and he's gone all dull.
i very often lift his hide up to get him out, eg.if its feed night & i havnt got the time to wait for him to come out by himself and it doesnt seem to bother him at all.
he can't feel too unsettled by me intruding into his secure place cos he goes back to it every time but i guess all corns are differant and yours has just gone thro a traumatic experiance so he might just need more time to settle in again.
hope things work out ok in the end for ya. x
Kellog Posted - 09/09/2009 : 04:31:28
Please could someone like GP advise me.....when should I start to get worried that there is something wrong? Should I disturb him again by taking his hide off him so I can handle him?? Please, someone reassure me!! xxx
Kellog Posted - 07/09/2009 : 08:49:12
Last night I put one of my socks in his viv, hoping the smell (no comments please) might reassure him. He fed this morning and I managed to get him to come about 1 third out of his hide by dangling the mouse at a distance. He came out quite smoothly and struck well, but as soon as he had struck he backed up into his hide pulling the mouse with him. I did see him eat it as he did it just in the doorway, but it worries me that he is digesting it curled up inside his hide. He did this when he was fed 10 days ago and came out of hiding on Wed morning (when I thought we had finally reached a changing point in his behaviour) and moved about the viv....but I later found that he had pooed normally in the corner, so that was the reason for his venturing out of hiding. Since then he has been back inside. He does look out, especially if I sit with viv door open and talk to him - he comes to opening of hide and looks out, tongue flicking or just watching. Is it still a case of patience or is there anything else I can do? xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000