The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Concerned over strange markings appearing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 27/02/2012 : 17:15:03
John has started to develop some strange markings. He is supposedly a Hypo so I realise that he will have some dark markings here and there but the skin between the scales has started to turn quite dark. It seems to be in patches down his sides half way down his length. He seems perfectly healthy in every other way, eating, pooing etc and he does not smell in anyway. Is this darkening of the skin just because of his parentage? I have included some pics of him and have circled some of the areas although there is more than I have shown. Pics are rubbish quality,poopcamera. Hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at rest.

Some of his colouring

Belly

Taken in direct sunlight

No flash used in any photo all natural daylight. Sorry for all the pics but worried about him.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 27/02/2012 : 19:55:43
I thought it was amel too. Only a few cheeky splodges of black in there give him away. Because it is surrounding each darker orange its totally fine in my opinion. Its probably always been there just very small only noticeable as he grows.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 27/02/2012 : 19:55:43
My motley has them also, nothing to worry about!
Red123 Posted - 27/02/2012 : 19:52:13
So the dark appearance of the skin, almost looks like he has dirt from the garden between the scales, is totally normal for an extreme hypo? So in a normal corn its where the black pigmentation of the black scales would be and because he has no black its almost like discolouring of the actual skin???
eeji Posted - 27/02/2012 : 19:38:38
its his normal colouring. What you have is a really extreme example of a hypo (hypomelanistic = reduced black) to the point of him having almost no black - I thought he was an amel in the first few photos! :D
Spreebok Posted - 27/02/2012 : 18:56:54
Just looks like colouring to me!
Red123 Posted - 27/02/2012 : 18:31:10
The dark colouring does not come off when i handle him. There are no signs of mites in his faunarium and he is kept on white kitchen towel and no sign of mites on this. I have got some damp kitchen towel and tried to wipe the blackness/darkness away, I wondered if he had layed in poo, but nothing come off. It does look like its under the scales which is why I said on his skin between the scales.
Cerian.abbott Posted - 27/02/2012 : 18:01:47
When you handle him, do some of the black bits remain on your hands, because they do they could be mites. However if they remain In the same place it mostly likely not mites.
mkmattyk Posted - 27/02/2012 : 17:44:55
cant really tell from the pictures but are the dark patches under the scales, cause if they are they could be mites

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000