New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  17:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John has started to develop some strange markings. He is supposedly a Hypo so I realise that he will have some dark markings here and there but the skin between the scales has started to turn quite dark. It seems to be in patches down his sides half way down his length. He seems perfectly healthy in every other way, eating, pooing etc and he does not smell in anyway. Is this darkening of the skin just because of his parentage? I have included some pics of him and have circled some of the areas although there is more than I have shown. Pics are rubbish quality,poopcamera. Hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at rest.

Some of his colouring

Belly

Taken in direct sunlight

No flash used in any photo all natural daylight. Sorry for all the pics but worried about him.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  17:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cant really tell from the pictures but are the dark patches under the scales, cause if they are they could be mites
Go to Top of Page

Cerian.abbott
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  18:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you handle him, do some of the black bits remain on your hands, because they do they could be mites. However if they remain In the same place it mostly likely not mites.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  18:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dark colouring does not come off when i handle him. There are no signs of mites in his faunarium and he is kept on white kitchen towel and no sign of mites on this. I have got some damp kitchen towel and tried to wipe the blackness/darkness away, I wondered if he had layed in poo, but nothing come off. It does look like its under the scales which is why I said on his skin between the scales.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  18:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looks like colouring to me!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  19:38:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its his normal colouring. What you have is a really extreme example of a hypo (hypomelanistic = reduced black) to the point of him having almost no black - I thought he was an amel in the first few photos! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  19:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the dark appearance of the skin, almost looks like he has dirt from the garden between the scales, is totally normal for an extreme hypo? So in a normal corn its where the black pigmentation of the black scales would be and because he has no black its almost like discolouring of the actual skin???

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  19:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was amel too. Only a few cheeky splodges of black in there give him away. Because it is surrounding each darker orange its totally fine in my opinion. Its probably always been there just very small only noticeable as he grows.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  19:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My motley has them also, nothing to worry about!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000