The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Not a reptile but advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ozziesmum Posted - 04/02/2012 : 21:32:12
Hi all,

Merlin the cat brought home a little long tailed field mouse today which is cute as a button, it has got a small puncture wound on it's shoulder which i've cleaned. I've popped it into a faun with a couple of hides and some food and water, I really thought it would suffer a heart attack and pass away but 8 hours on and it is out and about eating and drinking. I realise that I can still lose him to infection in the next couple of days but if he does survive the next few days how long should I keep him for before I release him, at the moment we have 2 - 3 inches of snow which looks to be settling in for the night.

Here's his little home.

And here he is

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 10/02/2012 : 20:45:52
mmmmmmmmmmmm................jaffa cakes :)
smiffy89 Posted - 10/02/2012 : 20:44:56
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:
Originally posted by ozziesmum

Firstly can I please apologise to the mods that this genuine request for advice has turned into an argument that was not my intention and for that I am very sorry.

No need for you to apologise this was not your doing ;)

Although if it happens again there will be a box of jaffa cake fine :D

saw this and it made me buy jaffa cakes cheers G
scottishbluebird Posted - 10/02/2012 : 16:12:28
Not sure how i missed this post before today! well done on the rescue/release, Mr Jingles is one lucky and adorable little mouse!
smart bunny Posted - 10/02/2012 : 15:46:06
Poor Mr Jingles, what a sweetheart! Has he been released yet?
kdlang Posted - 07/02/2012 : 21:55:04
Good luck Mr Jingles, safe journey home
nusnakemum Posted - 07/02/2012 : 21:14:34
good luck Mr Jingles ..........
Katie.Dublin Posted - 07/02/2012 : 20:46:19
Byebye Jingles!! Well done for saving him Jane :)
ozziesmum Posted - 07/02/2012 : 19:42:22
sounds fair to me gmac and thanks. :)
gmac Posted - 07/02/2012 : 19:09:36
quote:

Firstly can I please apologise to the mods that this genuine request for advice has turned into an argument that was not my intention and for that I am very sorry.

No need for you to apologise this was not your doing ;)

Although if it happens again there will be a box of jaffa cake fine :D
tordyjo Posted - 07/02/2012 : 19:05:51
good luck to mr jingles
Starmist Posted - 07/02/2012 : 16:57:01
How beautiful is Mr Jingles! I did this once when my cat caught one! I managed to rescue it into an old hamster tank. Did a bit of DIY emergency cleaning on the wound. It made it through the night, but died in the morning. Most probably due to shock! Have fun with him, they're very cute!!
ozziesmum Posted - 07/02/2012 : 10:11:24

Mr Jingles is going off to start his soft release at a friends small holding this evening, the open faun will be put into one of his stables where he will be able to make the decision when to leave his temporary residence. I shall be sorry to see the little guy go but it was never my intention to keep him and I have done what I set out to do which was to make sure he was safe and sound while he recovered.
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/02/2012 : 09:55:32
Problems solved. Thanks Gmac.
Much love to all as well.
gmac Posted - 07/02/2012 : 01:00:12
IVE ACTUALLY JUST ABOUT HAD ENOUGH, PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES FOR POSTING, IF THIS ATTITUDE FROM FOLKS CONTINUES THEN SOME FOLKS WILL BE ENJOYING A NICE HOLIDAY AWAY FROM THE FORUM

I reckon thats clear enough now anyone want to try my patience
smiffy89 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:50:33
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

I suggested feeding it, does that mean you are insulting me by calling me a numpty based on your comment? I surely hope not
As for issues, unless you went to a herp vet who did tests, you could not determine the wild mouse feed was cause of death, but only assume by coincidence
As stated I have a friend who feeds his female carolina wild mice caught by his cat, and never had an issue and this is over serious time,

quote:
Originally posted by smiffy89

i meant having a mouse in the house when you have snakes aswell(pictures mouse dancing around teasing snakes)
but please dont feed it to them as some numptys will suggest as this can cause serious health issues like DEATH to name 1.

1.No i am not insulting you, your own intelligence is doing an ample job of that my good man.

2.I didnt say it will, i said it could so wind your neck back in.

3.Im sick to the back teeth of you ruining posts on this forum over the last few days despite being told by mods to report any issues to them you are actually draining the pleasure of being a member of this site with your selfish ways.
rant over i refuse to waste any more time discussing anything with you.
kdlang Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:50:32
Much love to Mr Jingles. I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. Would love to see a release video
Georgina Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:27:31
sorry i went off topic i actually meant to post................. as lotabob said, snow or no snow i would release it, the longer it is away from its natural enviroment the harder it will be. just think, if none of this had happened he would be out in it.

good luck mr jingles

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
lotabob Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:20:08
It has to be remembered that wild animals are exposed to things our 'wrapped in cotton wool' snakes aren't and probably due to the length of time the gene line has been in the pet trade has no resistance to. In the wild only the strongest survive, in the pet trade only the very sick die so the animals aren't built as sturdy and hardy as their wild friends.

In the same respect wild animals such as mice are exposed to lots of things our captive farmed mice are not. Pesticides, poisons, toxins are all out there you just cant tell what its been feeding on, it might not look sick, why would it, they've had generations of this, our snakes not so much.

Best to just leave the wildlife alone and buy in food that is from a reliable source.

Back to topic though, I would be looking to release the mousey as soon as possible, snow or not, just make sure the cat is in walk it back to where you found it and release it, it will be fine, they are well built for the cold.
Georgina Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:10:51
I hope mr jingles is doing well. As for the feeding him to the snakeys, I don't think it would be a great idea, just because it COULD eat it and it MIGHT be ok, for the sake of a few pence of a frozen mouse is it worth it? As humans we eat rabbit but we don't go out and eat road kill? I don't think anything was meant as a personal comment just an opinion. I think we have quite a few opinionated people on here (including myself) I think we need to work on constructive advise, rather than proving each other wrong? :)
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 00:06:14
Matter of opinion, and driving too fast is very different to feeding a snake what it would normally eat in the wild anyway, and probably some things much worse, so lets not make stupid comparisons!

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

breed for snake food or use this one as snake food

afterall in the wild corn snakes have to eat what they can find,

and a very good friend of mine occassionaly his cat brings home a mouse for snakey to eat, and does so - after 5-6 years, no health issues whatsoever

EDIT: spell check

quote:

Hee hee oh well always room for one more I guess.

Wow, do people actually give out advice this awful whilst sane?!

I have a close friend who likes to drive far too fast, doesn't make it a good idea.

Beggars belief.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000