The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 bug worrys

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:49:16
just went to look at my lil ones and change their water and noticed a couple of tiny grey bugs crawling around. their about 1/2 big absolutely tiny. i just looked at the mite section and they dont look them. ive checked the snakes nothing on them. none have been bathing in their bowls. please tell me these arent mite ive caught 4 or 5 of them to takw to the shop tomoz but want to get quick advice. ive emptyed out the substrate and put paper in as replacement.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marc_sg Posted - 19/01/2012 : 16:38:05
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Ahh they are totally harmless and they are a bit cute. If they got on you they'd only eat your mouldy bits, lol.

lovely thought cheers lol
lotabob Posted - 19/01/2012 : 13:07:30
Ahh they are totally harmless and they are a bit cute. If they got on you they'd only eat your mouldy bits, lol.
marc_sg Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:40:10
lol i itched for hours after cleaning my vivs out last night. even thou i washed my hands 3 times
Sta~ple Posted - 18/01/2012 : 23:25:08
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:

Does sound like springtails. I have had these appear in pretty much all my vivariums now, they only seem to hang around the water bowl and are totally harmless. Unfortunately providing snakes a perfect environment also provides our native bugs an environment where they thrive. You will from time to time get springtails they like moisture so they are less likely to make a low humidity vivarium a home but high humidity set ups will quickly become colonised. They are beneficial though they eat mould and muck keeping things clean, my crested Gecko vivarium has very high humidity and I had a few issues with mould but not since the springtails turned up.

Thats a springtail

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/94484378/in/set-590338/

Maybe its because I've never had issues with them,but I think they look really cute!

Try when they are crawling in the holes, the bright plastic hides and the viv glass... and then you see them on you and then tell me they are cute.
Mort13 Posted - 18/01/2012 : 22:55:40
quote:

Does sound like springtails. I have had these appear in pretty much all my vivariums now, they only seem to hang around the water bowl and are totally harmless. Unfortunately providing snakes a perfect environment also provides our native bugs an environment where they thrive. You will from time to time get springtails they like moisture so they are less likely to make a low humidity vivarium a home but high humidity set ups will quickly become colonised. They are beneficial though they eat mould and muck keeping things clean, my crested Gecko vivarium has very high humidity and I had a few issues with mould but not since the springtails turned up.

Thats a springtail

Maybe its because I've never had issues with them,but I think they look really cute!
Red123 Posted - 18/01/2012 : 20:17:27
I've had them in my vivs. Didn't get them until I started using Auboise so have gone back to kitchen roll and now there is no sig of them. I did find them in the bale of Auboise so dumped that as well. I don't mind bugs in their rightful place but hate the thought of them in with the snakes.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:42:31
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Easiest way to get rid of them is just to change the water and clean the dish. They lay eggs in the water so if it is changed every day they will eventually die off.

Agreed. I have springtails in my viv 50% of the time every time I do a viv change now. Still makes you feel icky though :(
marc_sg Posted - 18/01/2012 : 19:22:10
thanks for the replies i took a handfull down to my local shop that i caught and he comformed everything was already. not that i didnt believe any just wanted some one to see them for themself thanks everyone
lotabob Posted - 18/01/2012 : 13:04:53

Thats a springtail

marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:25:16
well ive emptyed the vivs put newspaper in them. if there harmless the ill just wash the vivs a scrub down. im gonna leave the news paper in the for proof of breedings any way
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:10:32
Pretty sure it is springtails from your sketch. I panicked, just like you , when I first discovered them. They are harmless to the snakes and generally keep the substrate 'tidy'.

Easiest way to get rid of them is just to change the water and clean the dish. They lay eggs in the water so if it is changed every day they will eventually die off.

If you just want rid of them, clean out the viv and disinfect with a 10% bleach solution and rinse. Treat all the hides and furniture to a good scrub. Leave the viv empty for a couple of days to dry off before setting it up again with new substrate.

Keep the snakes in temporary RUBs, small secure plastic boxes will see them over the eradication time.
marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:53:57
marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:52:07

this is my impresson on what im looking at
marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:20:46
im still not sure ill TRY and get a pic
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:12:41
99% chance that they are just harmless (but beneficial) springtails.

Compare with pics in this post.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18297
Casta Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:05:06
i thought that. silverfish the same thing? you got pics?
mkmattyk Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:04:39
i had a simular problem and what my friends thought it was, was a mite that lived in the substrate, so now what i do is blast all my beech chip in the cooker for abit and put it in a separate container
marc_sg Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:50:37
forgot to say ive not added any thing in there withing a year everything is as it always has been apart from a mdf divider from b&q
ScalySituation Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:49:57
sprintails maybe?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000