The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Is my snake underweight?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zandefloss Posted - 19/12/2011 : 07:06:23
Hi there, I took my snake spaghetti to the pet shop today for her Christmas holidays.

For the past 6 months or so she has been eating 1 jumbo mouse once a month (every 3 weeks) She's 2 1/2 years old and nearly 5 foot (it's hard to tell, she is very wiggly :)

She is active on an evening, exploring etc and she poos from around 5-14 days after a feed.

However the pet shop has told me I should be feeding 1 jumbo, once a week and she is looking very underweight?

I was being careful not to overfeed her as she loves her mice and I've seen the overfeeding thread on here and was concerned :S

What does anyone think?

I'm sorry that this is the most recent pic :(

I am so worried I have been harming her, she means the World to me!

zan
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 21/12/2011 : 19:51:49
My adult corn gets fed a jumbo every two weeks, but occasionally I give it a 'break' and feed him one a month, he's happy enough! Spaghetti looks fine to me! :>
Mort13 Posted - 21/12/2011 : 11:19:07
I echo what everyone else has said there. She looks great.
ILoveNoodleXD Posted - 21/12/2011 : 08:53:17
Just to say your snake is called spaghetti and mine Noodle x)
lotabob Posted - 20/12/2011 : 20:41:45
A jumbo every three weeks sounds OK to me and if that feeding routine is working for you and as the snake is fully grown not gaining weight or losing it then I don't see a problem with it.

From the picture Spag looks a lovely healthy shape, nice rounded back, straight sides, you definitely wouldn't want it any bigger than that. In fact scrap that I'm going to recommend you immediately make arrangements for that extremely beautiful snake to be couriered to me ASAP, I just think its for the best

scottishbluebird Posted - 19/12/2011 : 23:03:47
Might be a good idea to tell the person at the pet shop to have a look on here, might stop someone else being told the same thing?
Sta~ple Posted - 19/12/2011 : 16:20:22
Jumbo every week will give you a royal sized cornsnake. I think petshops see royals and think that corns would be that fat too. Jumbo every 2 weeks is probably more than enough for most adult corns so every week is just going to be way too much.
kdlang Posted - 19/12/2011 : 10:34:12
I think spaghetti looks great hun. I feed one of my adults a jumbo every 3 weeks and he is fine. I like to weigh mine once a month just to keep an eye on their weight. If they are putting on too much or not putting on enough then I adjust their feeding accordingly. Also, I have noticed mine have been alot less active lately and I havent handled them as much as I have previously so I have reduced all their feeding slightly
oakleyman18 Posted - 19/12/2011 : 09:07:09
Yeah I agree, echoing the other comments, I dont think she's too thin. A large mouse nearly every two weeks is usually fine, although snakes differ. A jumbo mouse every week is too much. Plus you'd only get a couple of days handling time because it'd take an age to digest!
thistle Posted - 19/12/2011 : 07:27:27
She certainly doesn't look underweight from that picture to me. Corn snakes are supposed to be slimline, unfortunately these days people are so used to seeing obese corns that they think that is how they should be.

A jumbo mouse once a week is far too much for an adult corn.
Simmy_82 Posted - 19/12/2011 : 07:27:01
She diesnt look underweight to me. There are some descriptions somewhere similar to this.

Tobelerobe Shape: Underweight
Loaf of Bread Shape: Ideal weight
Round Shape: Fat

I think a better idea would be to feed her one large mouse every 7-10 days. But others may shed better light than I, I'm still fairly new to snakes and mine is still on fuzzies.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000