The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 I'm going to sound like a terrible snake owner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AliciaRose Posted - 30/10/2011 : 21:13:00
Hi all, I fed Mitch on wednesday, he was given a rat pup as the reptile shop had run out of fluffs. I went to clean him out today and discovered a regurged rat pup hidden under his bedding with 3 maggots on it, I am absolutely horrified and dont know what to do, I have cleaned and disinfected his tank and Mitch seems okay (I know to leave him for atleast 2 weeks if he has regurged his food) but about the maggots I have no idea, I feel terrible right now, should I take him to the vet? :(
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 02/11/2011 : 13:55:16
just treat him for the regurge then........don't feed for 10-14 days to let his tummy settle, try to find the cause and rectify it, i've done a sticky on regurgitation that would be worth a quick read
AliciaRose Posted - 01/11/2011 : 23:17:11
He definitely ate it as I take him out to eat and put him into a different tank, he seems to be fine though, my first thing was to just panic as I fed him on wednesday and didn't find them until sunday, have checked again today and there is nothing, so problem sorted I think
a33272 Posted - 01/11/2011 : 08:39:58
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Definitely should not have read this while eating my weetabix for breakie..

hahahaha made my kippers go down well acctually.

Alicia just keep an eye out more baby maggots developing. they shouldnt as you have removed the host as they need something to be layed on which is ussually dead meat related
Katie.Dublin Posted - 01/11/2011 : 06:50:53
Definitely should not have read this while eating my weetabix for breakie..
gingerpony Posted - 31/10/2011 : 21:12:56
i wouldn't be concerned about the maggots - it means the viv has ventilation

did he definitely regurge though? did you see him eat it and it go down?

i drop-feed some of ours and if they leave it and bury it it can take a few days to find (usually when it starts to smell!)
garrie Posted - 31/10/2011 : 00:28:17
I have always said that i'm all for maggot/leach medical treatment! Its the way forward.

Sorry to hear your snake regurged - hopefully the shop will have fluffs for the next feed
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/10/2011 : 22:44:36
I would imagine the maggots would be fine and wouldn't have gotten hold of the snake, they don't actually cause any problems with living or good tissue, only dead or infected tissue.
Nothing works better on a nice knee graze with loads of pus than a bandage with maggots in it.
Simmy_82 Posted - 30/10/2011 : 21:27:28
Question is how have the maggots got there? Are there many flies in your home? Or were they already on/in the rat pup before feeding? And that could have caused the regurge? Bear in mind I'm on sumising and may be something else. Not sure about the vet tho. Someone with more experience than I will answer that better.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000