The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Rabbits...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
QueenVic Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:37:40
My pet shop guy told me that he sells baby rabbits for the same price as mice, and that they have 'much more on them than mice' and that I'd be better buying these for my Corns..
It'd be nice to give them a little change from mice, but I haven't really heard of them eating rabbits before..

oppinions?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 24/06/2011 : 18:26:54
i would just stick with mice they are probibly better for snakes and to be honest i dont think rabbits (even babies) are very appropriete for corn snakes...

1.0.1 corn snakes

wishlist

ball pythons :D
mikerichards Posted - 22/06/2011 : 10:56:24
Take it from someone who breeds rabbits, you would have to have a huge corn to take anything less than about a week old, even from a large litter, snything from a small litter just wont happen.
Its not the body size thats the issue so much, rabbits have big heads, and a completely different shape to rats and mice.
The guy in the pet shop is talking rubbish, and tbh, if they are as cheap as mice, then walk away anyway, because they are a more expensive from a supplier!

Just stick to mice.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/06/2011 : 12:04:24
You could probably feed pinky rabbits or new borns but I'm sure pinky rabbits would be much more expesnive as I only know of feeder rabbits being near adult size and shot or killed when bigger as theres no point killing them when small size since there are rats, mice and other prey that are cheaper to keep and breed that reach the small rabbit size. I've seen shot ones being sold at £2.50-£5 in pet shops so his mice but be at a stupid price!

Unless he kinda was thinking buy a rabbit and cut it up? XD
http://www.frozenfeeder.com/sizing.html Gives a good idea
eeji Posted - 20/06/2011 : 21:21:55
quote:
Originally posted by VicNCal

...Just been looking through another of my threads, where VetDebbie was talking about her Tessera. She put that she's gonna feed it some rabbits so it's ready for breeding next year.....

I think that was meant tongue-in-cheek ;)
tordyjo Posted - 20/06/2011 : 20:07:16
newborn rabbits are huge compared to mice would say they're on par with a large rat, are you sure they meant rabbits or were they talking guinea pigs
Newbie Posted - 20/06/2011 : 20:07:15
When I got Vin I was told you can feed day old chicks to adult corns every now and again for variety, but apparently they have less nutritional value than a mousie
lotabob Posted - 20/06/2011 : 18:48:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cv14BYah4o =Rabbit babies.

Look a bit big for even a monster corn.

a33272 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 17:00:01
yeah agree lee they are about that size
lee2308 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 16:39:35
my local had day old rabbits for sale,they didnt seem that big,just the same as a small rat weaner.I would of got some for my baby dumeril but they were too pricey.
Mamma Posted - 20/06/2011 : 15:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

just google baby rabbits an u can see the size of them there, oviously size will depend on bred of rabbit but even then ya still looking at something that will take the palm of ya hand up. so unless u got a monster of a corn snake will be to big

Might make for a good stew tho
a33272 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 15:17:44
just google baby rabbits an u can see the size of them there, oviously size will depend on bred of rabbit but even then ya still looking at something that will take the palm of ya hand up. so unless u got a monster of a corn snake will be to big
QueenVic Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:58:02
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

why not ask him to show you one compared to a large mouse?

i'm sure nutritionally they'll be more fatty, less calcium and i'm not sure what else off the top of my head but i think maybe mikeR posted a link to a table of nutritional values of various prey item?

Ooh that'd be very helpful, i'll have a search now.
cheers!
oh, and sorry about that other thread I started... I'll be much more bearable when my eggs have hatched lol!
gingerpony Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:58:01
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

if they were small enough you could feed one every now and then, but baby rabbits are what burms eat when they outgrow rats half the time

my bigger boas (6ft+) are on 'baby' rabbits, no idea how old they are as they're wild rifle-shot but they weigh in at about 750g-1kg
QueenVic Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:56:38
Okidoki, cheers. I'll have a look and judge the size of them, my snakies aren't huge so.

Just been looking through another of my threads, where VetDebbie was talking about her Tessera. She put that she's gonna feed it some rabbits so it's ready for breeding next year.

Cheers for the advice guys :)
gingerpony Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:56:34
why not ask him to show you one compared to a large mouse?

i'm sure nutritionally they'll be more fatty, less calcium and i'm not sure what else off the top of my head but i think maybe mikeR posted a link to a table of nutritional values of various prey item?
reptiledanny Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:53:08
if they were small enough you could feed one every now and then, but baby rabbits are what burms eat when they outgrow rats half the time
QueenVic Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:51:23
Oh dear... lol

The guy at my petshop seems quite knowledgable, but I trust you guys more!
I'll ask him to have a look at one next time I go down, he told me they were about the same size but i don't know.

I dismissed it when he was telling me, because I thought it was a bit strange.. surely more people would do it if it was good for them!

Are there any other things you can feed them?
I know when they are younger they can eat anoles and frogs etc...
reptiledanny Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:50:21
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

wouldnt the rabbits be huge as baby rabbits are still quite big compared to adult mice

yup!

thought so, my uncle once had baby rabbits from his two and my royals wouldnt even be able to take them atm until there fully grown
gingerpony Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:48:35
quote:

wouldnt the rabbits be huge as baby rabbits are still quite big compared to adult mice

yup!
reptiledanny Posted - 20/06/2011 : 13:47:57

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000